Nexus 5x or Lumia 950?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Nexus 5x or Lumia 950

Hi! My Lumia 930 is broken and I was woundering if I should still go with Windows Phone and buy a Microsoft Lumia 950 or buy an Nexus 5x.

I love Windows Phones design and everything about it, it's just that I am afriad of the app gap Windows Phone has and if the developers don't want to develop apps for Windows Phone in the future, what's the point of haveing a Windows Phone?

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5x or Lumia 950

App gap is irrelevant unless you want a specific app that isn't available. I got a 950 after a few years of frustration with Android and it's stupid update cycles and ad-spamming apps. The phone is great, best camera and screen I've had on a phone and WP has my banking, social media and news apps so for me there is no gap.

People worry too much about phones, just get the one you like the look of and which has the features and apps you need (Again don't obsess over unnecessary features and apps).

The future strength of the platform is largely irrelevant. It may get stronger, it may not, either way the phone will still work fine. The main uses of a mobile are phone calls, texts, what's app, Facebook, twitter, internet, camera. wp has all that. So does Android and IOs.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I get where you are coming from. An important question to ask yourself is the following : When using the 930, did you ever feel like any of your apps that you use on a regular basis were lacking? If the answer is no, go for the 950. If the answer is yes, go for the Nexus 5x. For me, I felt like the half of the apps I use on a regular basis were lacking. Basically the original/native apps were great, the apps that weren't that, were passable but I just chose to deal with it even though I used it daily.

I share your concern about devs leaving the platform because that is unfortunate. For me, there are some apps that I use on a regular basis, and everyday I feared them being pulled from the store. A great example for me is the MLB At Bat app. The app disappeared from the Windows 8.1 store (well, it can't be newly installed like before), and that made me sad. That is an important app for me to have, since I love to get updates of my favorite team, especially during the season.*

I like Windows Phone a lot, and I still consider myself a fan. I really hope that Windows 10 Mobile will get enough momentum for some of these devs to get their apps updated.

Ask yourself that question, and be honest with yourself.

*=If someone quotes me and says "well, you can go to their site on Edge or get the espn app", you don't get it. It's not the same thing to have DIRECT updates for just your team. Also my team's mobile website is terrible on Windows Phone, never again.

Last edited:

justforsabbath

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site

If you are tied to the Google eco system like I am then its really hard, but manageable. As per your requirement My advice would be to opt for Nexus 5X(primary device) and get a Lumia 640 which would be your secondary device. You can take a call when you feel that W10M has improved in the app gap department in future.

Last edited:

Brandon Sobotta

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site

I get where you are coming from. An important question to ask yourself is the following : When using the 930, did you ever feel like any of your apps that you use on a regular basis were lacking? If the answer is no, go for the 950. If the answer is yes, go for the Nexus 5x. For me, I felt like the half of the apps I use on a regular basis were lacking. Basically the original/native apps were great, the apps that weren't that, were passable but I just chose to deal with it even though I used it daily.

I share your concern about devs leaving the platform because that is unfortunate. For me, there are some apps that I use on a regular basis, and everyday I feared them being pulled from the store. A great example for me is the MLB At Bat app. The app disappeared from the Windows 8.1 store (well, it can't be newly installed like before), and that made me sad. That is an important app for me to have, since I love to get updates of my favorite team, especially during the season.*

I like Windows Phone a lot, and I still consider myself a fan. I really hope that Windows 10 Mobile will get enough momentum for some of these devs to get their apps updated.

Ask yourself that question, and be honest with yourself.

*=If someone quotes me and says "well, you can go to their site on Edge or get the espn app", you don't get it. It's not the same thing to have DIRECT updates for just your team. Also my team's mobile website is terrible on Windows Phone, never again.

This.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Having owned my 950 for roughly 3 months, and having had a 920 for 3 years prior, I strongly recommend going with the Nexus 5x.

I haven't had issues as extensive as I've read here, but I've had my share of frustrations. I also believe that the app gap is a major problem and this is coming from someone who doesn't spend a lot of time in the app store.

It is a pity because I must prefer the Windows phone interface to the competition. However, I do regret not returning the 950 when I had the chance. The 5x is the very phone I would have gotten to replace it and I may still get a Nexus phone depending on what's out towards the end of the year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos