Are they all bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

raggedy b

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi asked the question elsewhere,thought it would post it here ,my bad
So 1020 up for renewal end of March ,was hoping OS would have settled down by then however screen is now a wee bit broken,usable but rather annoying (first screen I've ever broken,phone had wireless cover but nothing else so guess I was on borrowed time) so all the problems I've been reading on here are they applicable to all 950s ,just the ones on insider preview or just a small minority that because it's a forum we get to read about.Really like 8.1 on my 1020 and want to continue with the windows system but also want a relatively reliable phone.Other option is to get a screen of eBay for ?40 but trade in is only ?50 so I would make something back on the deal and it would keep it going for another couple of months,thoughts please.One last thing ,sounds kinda stupid ,don't use many apps on 8.1 but they're all there on 10 aren't they ?
Thanks

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Are all posted problems applicable to EVERY 950? That I don't know, but I've probably faced every single one of them with mine. After three months of suffering I just took it to AT&T for a warranty replacement; they're sending me another one, though honestly, I have absolutely ZERO hope that it will be more reliable. None. This whole experience (along with my Surface Pro 4) has ruined my faith in Microsoft's ability to ever deliver a half-way trustworthy product.

Now, some people on this forum claim to have zero issues with their 950s, which, frankly, I don't believe at all but whatever. Maybe they're in the clear; hopefully my replacement phone will be better, but again, I doubt it. I think all the issues reported on here and elsewhere are because of garbage software that wasn't tested enough before release.

If you're considering a 950 my advice to you is this: DON'T DO IT!!!!!! In my opinion there are so many better handsets out there.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do they all have problems

Certainly any tech forum magnifies the problem ratio outside of statistical accuracy.

That said, most users are in agreement that doing a clean set up without restoring from back up until AFTER you have taken all updates and done a Hard Reset goes a long way towards making a smooth experience. YMMV

Last edited:

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a 950 that came carrier free. With the first few builds it was going through battery, but since .71 I am pretty happy. I get well over a day out of the battery. The AT&T branded ones have yet to receive a firmware update and I think that is a big part of their issue. Is it perfect? No but what is. I am looking forward to the new firmware and the new .104 update and I think it will be even better. I also dabble in and out of the Insider program dependent on the feedback from what is released. The Insider App makes switching rings very easy.

I say go for it, but do not get the AT&T variant as AT&T still has too much say in the update process.

Brandon Sobotta

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I love my 950. Initially it had some issues, but now, its rock solid. If you want a windows mobile, this literally is the one to get.

I initially had a few issues with apps not transitioning over, but I think most have been updated that I use.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
just to throw this in the mix i havent had so many issues with my 950, although the ones ive had have made me want to get naother phone, battery life is shocking, people are hard resetting phones left right and centre which i still dont understand how it makes things better when they are restoring from a back up before the hard reset. i love the phone but the recent update .71 for me has practically ruined the experience for me. if i could sell my 950 for anything like i bought it a month or two ago then i would but i got offered gbp 157 by CEX. just looked at the div behind the counter and said really.... i ive had al sorts of windows hone, wife has the 640 and daughters have the 735 and 535 and there all fine.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I would advise against getting a 950, or if you do, avoid the AT&T 950. I half expect that by the time my 950 is working right I'll be able to trade it in for something else.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Are all posted problems applicable to EVERY 950? That I don't know, but I've probably faced every single one of them with mine. After three months of suffering I just took it to AT&T for a warranty replacement; they're sending me another one, though honestly, I have absolutely ZERO hope that it will be more reliable. None. This whole experience (along with my Surface Pro 4) has ruined my faith in Microsoft's ability to ever deliver a half-way trustworthy product.

Now, some people on this forum claim to have zero issues with their 950s, which, frankly, I don't believe at all but whatever. Maybe they're in the clear; hopefully my replacement phone will be better, but again, I doubt it. I think all the issues reported on here and elsewhere are because of garbage software that wasn't tested enough before release.

If you're considering a 950 my advice to you is this: DON'T DO IT!!!!!! In my opinion there are so many better handsets out there.

In fact DON'T go and use Win10Mobile at all just yet...

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Got a Lumia 950 day one. I initially had stuck updates, but a store update came along and I haven't seen that since.

Outside of that, it's given me no random restarts, 4K recording crashes, loading/resuming hangs, app crashes, and my battery life with it has been great.

As a side note, a general rule of thumb is that criticism is always louder than praise. They vocally speak louder, use more CAPS, drench their text in a ton more arbitrary exclamation marks for the sake of emphasis, and are generally believed more (and reshared more commonly) from the outsider looking in who doesn't actually have the device.

There *appears* to be more positive feedback than negative because there's more satisfied Lumia 950 owners than the contrary. You'll find a small handful of people on Windows feedback voicing their complaints being dwarfed by a Lumia 950/950XL that was sold out constantly for the entire three months surrounding it's release... which actually makes sense when you see the overall positive user reviews on this phone on multiple sites.
wp_ss_20160212_0001.pngwp_ss_20160212_0002.pngwp_ss_20160212_0003.pngwp_ss_20160212_0004.jpgwp_ss_20160212_0006.jpg

Short answer? No, the bugs you hear of don't hit every Lumia 950.

Last edited:

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Like many things in life, it all depends. I'm not having any problems with my 950xl and my wife's 950 has done pretty well. She has told me her calendar has crashed a few times. Both are directly from Microsoft, no contract.

raggedy b

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Shouldn't be on this forum ...ended up getting the xl ,went to carphone warehouse to look at phones and ended up walking away with one ,haven't got a case or screen protector yet so it's sitting on the side running of wifi ,only had it a couple of days and limited use but all seems good ,iris scanner seems quick,camera is nice and it charges on dt900 no problems.OS was .11 when I inboxed it ,not on insider preview,but within an hour it had updated and installed.29 then .63 and then .107 guess that's right ,anyhoo can't wait to actually use it

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Shouldn't be on this forum ...ended up getting the xl ,went to carphone warehouse to look at phones and ended up walking away with one ,haven't got a case or screen protector yet so it's sitting on the side running of wifi ,only had it a couple of days and limited use but all seems good ,iris scanner seems quick,camera is nice and it charges on dt900 no problems.OS was .11 when I inboxed it ,not on insider preview,but within an hour it had updated and installed.29 then .63 and then .107 guess that's right ,anyhoo can't wait to actually use it

As you've made your choice and answered your own question about whether or not you should get a 950 series phone...

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12