02-27-2016 10:12 AM
52 123
tools
    Anyone has experience bad audio quality on 950xl? After a month using this phone I just realized that the audio quality on my L920 is way better than 950xl. I'm using same headset, same volume, same equalizer and same external speaker. The result came that the 950xl audio can't catch up my 3 years L920.

Has anyone feel the same?
    02-13-2016 05:13 AM
    I agree totally,and some of the online reviews point this out. It does sound better with headphones ,than through its own speakers, the speakers are a little harsh.
    02-13-2016 05:59 AM
    He did. However, on my 950XL the buttons in order from top to bottom are volume up, power, volume down then the camera button. This technically means there is no volume rocker button but two individual buttons. It actually is a nice placement. Nothing to get all bent out of shape over.

On the other hand, the 950 has the button placement similar to the 920 with volume rocker, power, then camera.
    That's a very interesting piece of information which I did not know at all. Thank you :)
    02-13-2016 09:37 AM
    Anyone has experience bad audio quality on 950xl? After a month using this phone I just realized that the audio quality on my L920 is way better than 950xl. I'm using same headset, same volume, same equalizer and same external speaker. The result came that the 950xl audio can't catch up my 3 years L920.

Nokia devices were known for having superb audio quality. I guess Microsoft devices are using cheaper audio chips maybe?
    02-13-2016 09:39 AM
    Sadly it doesn't feel so premium as it should, but when people realize that there is Microsoft brand name printed on the phone's front side, they are like whaaaaaatttt....? Then you only say, yes baby, it is windows 10, and you see how they low or high end android mobiles slide quietly to pockets... :P So i'm happy with it.

Glance screen is super, but yes, tap to wake - i miss this option from my Nokia N9 few years ago.
    I don't think people care enough in my marketplace. Also, are you on Miami Vice? What is this "yes baby" business?
    Vijay_Anand likes this.
    02-13-2016 05:28 PM
    I apologize, I actually have the 950 XL dual SIM. SIM1 and the SD card can be removed without removing the battery. The SIM2 can only be removed after removing the battery.

Also the 950 XL has no volume 'rocker' button, but separate volume up & volume down, separated by the power button in between.

My apologies. But I agree with all the points here. Feels the handset and software engineers left out features on purpose. But, maybe there are larger forces at work we don't know about.
    Vijay_Anand likes this.
    02-13-2016 07:41 PM
    I apologize, I actually have the 950 XL dual SIM. SIM1 and the SD card can be removed without removing the battery. The SIM2 can only be removed after removing the battery.
    I assumed that, but did you swap your SIM1 and SIM2 labels? If I found out correct, the SIM1 should be the same as on my Single SIM and that is definitely not accessible without removing the battery.
    02-14-2016 12:15 AM
    You ARE correct. Must have been remembering a, diff phone then. Even SIM2 requires battery removed, even though it looks accessible without removing battery.
    02-14-2016 02:37 AM
    Regarding the so called "non-premium" feel:

I agree it doesn't feel AS premium as say the latest and greatest Samsung or something. But it definitely doesn't feel cheap to me. I actually like the matte black back on mine. But two things the 950 has completely trump any premium feel: Removable battery and microSD slot. All the premium feel in the world isn't going to help me when I'm traveling and running low on storage space for pictures and videos...

I have a 950. Previously I had a Lumia 1020. The 950 has better audio quality with earphones in my opinion. Not a huge difference though.
    02-14-2016 03:19 AM
    Regarding the so called "non-premium" feel:

I agree it doesn't feel AS premium as say the latest and greatest Samsung or something. But it definitely doesn't feel cheap to me. I actually like the matte black back on mine. But two things the 950 has completely trump any premium feel: Removable battery and microSD slot. All the premium feel in the world isn't going to help me when I'm traveling and running low on storage space for pictures and videos...

I have a 950. Previously I had a Lumia 1020. The 950 has better audio quality with earphones in my opinion. Not a huge difference though.
    I feel that my 830 feels more premium and sleek than the 950. Also that battery is removable and has SD card slot. But then again, that's just my personal opinion. I guess it differs from person to person.
    02-14-2016 06:28 AM
    You know, how do you define flagship? Quality of hardware? Quality of the Software? Overall experience? Most of this is individualistic.
    I have, now, an iPhone 6s Plus, a Galaxy Note 5, and the 950XL. So I know from experience, what is what.
    Each of my phones are listed as Flagships. Each are top of line for their area. Each one of them is attractive to some and hated by others. Each phone reboots, hangs, freezes and does weird stuff. Each phone has issues with apps. Each phone has specialty as well as detractions. This is the way I describe each phone line's plus's and minus's:
    iPhone: Nice to hold, smooth. Lots of apps. Everyone knows iPhone. But...The phone still hangs, freezes and crashes. Some apps have issues. The cool interchange of iCloud, is not always so cool. Apple music intragration is cool...But hangs just like groove. Biggest complaint...great phone..but way over rated.
    Note 5: Cool phone. Samsung Pay is the greatest. Has so many options...which, for me is an issue. Too many options, too many settings. Apps, some really really suck. I basically do not trust a lot of android apps. Battery life on this phone...sucks. Wireless charging is intermittent. Stylus is cool, but rarely used. Biggest complaint, too hard to figure out a lot of the cool features.
    : Starting off, way over rated and a huge disappointment. But, I still love the phone. Apps, forget the app gap. The apps that are there are not the equal of Apple or Android...think, Starbucks, bank apps, Face book, Twitter, and any of the more popular apps. Audio is horrible. I love the tiles. I love the new improved OTA delivery system...getting fixes faster. Groove integration..love it. Reliability is not there. Too many times touch stops working, tiles stop working. My wife has the 950...after 2 replacements and a bad experience, she threw it away and is now on an iPhone 6s. Not because its great, but because its better. I would love to make this my main use phone. But overall reliability has relegated it to occasional use.

In order of preference for me, its iPhone, 950xl, and note 5. In fact, as of yesterday, the Note 5 was removed from my list.
    I also have the 1520. Loved it. Still do...but even that phone, it had its hangups. and sometimes, it was just too darn big.

So, to say Microsoft is doing something with its flagships, I would not agree, since most of the points are personal. And in being personal, we all might never agree. All I know is I'm not greatly satisfied with any of the Top Flagship phones out there. I am satisfied enough with all of them to play with them when it strikes me.
    Tom_ByteReview and Harrie-S like this.
    02-14-2016 12:10 PM
    For the flagship status, I would say the build quality could be loads better. The Lumia 1020, 1520, hell even the 720 had great designs - It's a shame, but there are sacrifices to be made when you want a replaceable battery. Personally I wish they have followed the design language of the 1520, sealed the battery up if they needed to but keep the MicroSD slot.
    Hell, the 830 also has a removable battery, yet the design is simply solid!
    Tom_ByteReview likes this.
    02-14-2016 10:42 PM
    The 950 isn't the best looking Lumia. But it is by far my favourite to hold.

Going back to my 920 or 930 from the 950, is like holding a brick. The curves and texture of the 950's case make it really nice in the hand. Far nicer than the missus' cold metallic iphone too.
    02-15-2016 04:05 AM
    The design of the 950 is nice, however I find it doesn't work better then other Lumia devices. The
    950 works for me better when it's on a flat surface, not in the hand. As others wrote, they find
    there phone works much better, and the removable battery is a must in the phone. I also have
    a Nokia 520 and several times it froze, where I had to pop the battery out, then back to get the
    phone working. Both phones are Windows 10 insider. The phone 950 works with Continuum,
    but most people are looking to use it as a phone, some may not even looking to use it with
    Continuum. Continuum is good for meetings and teaching.
    02-15-2016 09:36 AM
    Continuum is good for meetings and teaching.
    Something I plan to be doing a lot of, so Continuum is good for me. The 950 feels very much premium to me in terms of how it feels in the hand and in specifications, but the software needs work.
    02-15-2016 10:00 AM
    I get by fine with miracast. I think continuum has some benefits over screen mirroring, but not really enough to justify carrying around a keyboard, mouse, and docking station. I would rather just carry my surface and display port adapter. I do think this post is not really about continuum and we are in danger of going far off topic.
    02-15-2016 04:41 PM
    I get by fine with miracast. I think continuum has some benefits over screen mirroring, but not really enough to justify carrying around a keyboard, mouse, and docking station. I would rather just carry my surface and display port adapter. I do think this post is not really about continuum and we are in danger of going far off topic.
    Except that you don't have to vary anymore than a display adapter/Miracast device. Your phone works as a mouse & keyboard with Continuum.
    02-16-2016 06:51 PM
    I think Continuum is one impressive feature that makes the 950 stand out. But is it available in the 550 and 650 aswell?
    02-16-2016 10:01 PM
    As long as i know - NO!
    02-17-2016 03:08 AM
    As Daniel Rubino said, I think Microsoft is leaving room for other OEM's to make a PC like market.
    02-17-2016 03:23 AM
    My 1520 (oh how I miss you baby) had capacitive buttons which were a pain in th eye when watching video in the dark. Also, they were triggered oh so easily. At least now, with me 950, I can swipe the onscreen buttons away.
    Regarding premium feel - to each his own. Just consider some folks taste in a SO. Slap on a Mozo case and Viola, unmatched premium and my iPhone friends are like dammmnnnn.
    How do you "swipe away" the onscreen buttons?
    02-17-2016 03:30 AM
    How do you "swipe away" the onscreen buttons?
    You can do that if you are inside some app, there is possibility to swipe the buttons.
    02-17-2016 03:54 AM
    You can do that if you are inside some app, there is possibility to swipe the buttons.
    Ok but how? Swiping down no workie
    02-17-2016 04:27 AM
    Sadly it works not all apps. Mostly you can try this while gaming.
    02-17-2016 05:35 AM
    Ok but how? Swiping down no workie
    With a few apps being the exception, you just swipe up from the bottom of the navigation bar to dismiss it. Works outside of apps too.
    02-17-2016 03:42 PM
52 123