Lumia 950 dual sim, serious e-mail problems. What can I do?

AngryFinn

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Lumia 950 dual sim, serious e-mail problems

When I sync my Lumia 950 with my internet provider?s e-mail server, POP3, the 950 downloads the e-mails and then delete them from the server. During the next sync, in addition to downloading the new mails and then deleting them from the server, it also deletes the earlier downloaded mails from the phone. This is of course not a totally ideal situation. This phenomenon started after updating OS to .107. No disturbances what so ever before that during the 2 months I have had the phone.
In Office Outlook there is the possibility to choose for how long time the messages shall be retained on the server but cannot find this option in the Lumia. Maybe this function was a default setting in the previous version of the OS?
POP3-account of course deleted from phone so am now limited to checking mail only from PC or laptop which makes the phone fairly useless. Is there a solution to this or is it back to Android?

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 950 dual sim, serious e-mail problems

Does your ISP offer an imap option instead of POP3?. In that case it should work more like an Exchange account. Another choice would be to add this email account to Outlook.com account which should achieve the same thing.

AngryFinn

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site

Thanks for the suggestions BaritoneGuy!
IMAP not avail and none of the other works so it might be a local ISP issue.
Should that be the case it still does not explain why already downloaded mails are deleted from the phone when syncing. In my little world they should stay there until manually deleted. Any suggestions?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

You need a better email server. Suggest migrating to outlook.com or similar. See if you can configure your existing email address to auto-forward everything to the new one.

AngryFinn

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site

Thanks.
Already had a look at that possibility but from ISP sever that option not avail. Tried with forwarding from Outlook to my Hotmail but it all went nuts. Had abt 15 confirmations sent back to Outlook for one forwarded mail. Sent a mail to local ISP support Thursday but except the regular auto-reply; silence. Will make a personal visit Monday to see if their ties are tight enough. Maybe some additional tightening keeps the blood in the head where it belongs;-)
Still remains though: why does the phone delete the downloaded e-mails at the next sync?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

I know on my desktop client I can choose to delete emails from the server when they are downloaded. Must be a setting somewhere.

AngryFinn

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site

Problem solved, partly, but since this forum does not allow me to post links unless I have 10 posts, anybody else with the same issues just have to guess what has been done.
This is quite a peculiar rule though.
Cheers!

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Nothing peculiar about the 10 posts rule, for any reputable forum not wanting to be overrun with spammers. But you could easily post a "link" by spelling out things like this: Triple-W Dot windowscentral Dot com, we can figure out what it means.

AngryFinn

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site

First: not an expert but could not the 10 post rule be quite easily overrun? Exchanging questions and answers with yourself from two or more different accounts e.g. a Hotmail and a couple of G-mail should have this door opened up, if that is what one wanted to do.

Anyway, the problem I’ve had was not related to the phone but it was there I first noted it. Hence conclusion reached: phone is not in order.
The February 16 update for Office 365 caused the Outlook to act a bit funny, deleting mails form the server although settings in place to leave a copy, so if having your client open at home you would not get any mails to the phone. When syncing it of course cleaned out everything it had stored since the server was empty. Explained at Triple-W Dot howto-outlook Dot com (thanks for that, would not have figured it out).
The thing I do not get is why the phone does not give the possibility to save already downloaded mails. The memory capacity is good enough to start with and if you also add a SD card there should not be any problems with capacity. Or maybe this possibility is there and I’ve missed it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa