• 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Newsletter — sign up now! Learn More
04-08-2016 02:21 PM
45 12
tools
    I c about the current technology ;)

I would like to raise this issue for changing the technology of Microsoft like Apple's one.
    Please read about LOST MODE
    https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2700?locale=en_US

What do you think?

My phone is lost. I concern about future, about owners of Windows phones :)
    yes MS do have similar thing, it called "Lock" or "Erase" under find my phone. I suggest you "lock" your phone, because it will give you an option to push a message to whoever found/stolen your phone. with maybe your contact info or so, and if that person is honest enough , he/she might try to contact you .
    untitled-picture.png
    03-11-2016 07:23 PM
    yes MS do have similar thing, it called "Lock" or "Erase" under find my phone. I suggest you "lock" your phone, because it will give you an option to push a message to whoever found/stolen your phone. with maybe your contact info or so, and if that person is honest enough , he/she might try to contact you .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled picture.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	123545
    Here is the difference: If I am not mistaken, LOCK is functional only if the phone is registered/linked with my email address whereas IPhone LOST MODE is linked with IMEI.
    03-12-2016 05:04 AM
    I don't know about iPhone but it won't make any sense that you can just lock a phone with IMEI, you have to register it to your account so they know you are the owner.
    03-12-2016 05:06 AM
    I don't know about iPhone but it won't make any sense that you can just lock a phone with IMEI, you have to register it to your account so they know you are the owner.
    Maybe I am not clear.

When you activate/register Windows phone, it will linked by phone number and email address. It means you can search/locate the phone only when is registered with your email address. If the thief has activated/registered with his phone number and email address, your phone is useless even if you see the phone on https://account.microsoft.com/devices

In the case of IPhone, the phone is linked with IMEI. If it is registered with another email address, you can locate it from web with icloud account.

If I am mistaken, please correct me.
    03-12-2016 05:24 AM
    That is what you are wrong , it is the phone is link to your account not your phone number. Why do you think they can even tell which model and OS the device is? It is linked to the serial number of all your windows devices. In the case for phone the serial number is the IMEI.
    fantasia-painting-1-.jpg
    just for another case, my lumia 635 is not linked to any phone number but it still shows in my device list as well as its IMEI
    untitled-picture.png
    Last edited by Alexander Long; 03-12-2016 at 06:05 AM.
    03-12-2016 05:33 AM
    Dude, sorry for your loss. I enabled reset protection recently and locked a 640XL I was having someone use it overseas. I didn't realize it was locked and they couldn't use it, even after WDRT wiped it. When you go to set it up again, it say it's protected and need the unlock code, which is obtained from your Microsoft Account device page. I've since saved those keys for my 640XL and 950XL.

Can you update us on your progress so far?

You lost your phone
    Have you tried calling your cell number recently? Anyone picked up today?
    Did you change your MSA password just in case?
    What about all your other accounts like Instagram, Emails, Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, Bank accounts, etc.
    Have you called your carrier to lock your SIM?
    If you have 2-step text code authentication, the SIM (your phone number) will be sent the codes. Disabling the SIM will help prevent the finder from getting codes.
    Do you have Reset Protection ON?
    Have you tried to remote wipe your phone?
    Have you checked your carrier account to see if there are any unusual activities?
    You can track what phone numbers your SIM (phone number) has been calling and maybe see who the finder has been calling, IF they've been using your SIM (phone number)

Note: The IMEI is like serial number printed on the phone itself, not the SIM.

Monitor all your social accounts to see if it's being logged in from a location, if that option is available and enabled. If your Microsoft Account (MSA) is still being used on your device, you should still be able to log into your MSA devices page and see where it's at. But if you did not have reset protection on, then it's pretty much a loss. I think even with a PIN, peeps can use WDRT to wipe it themselves, I could be wrong.

Well anyways. Good luck friend.
    Shkupjani likes this.
    03-12-2016 11:14 PM
    Maybe I am not clear.

When you activate/register Windows phone, it will linked by phone number and email address. It means you can search/locate the phone only when is registered with your email address. If the thief has activated/registered with his phone number and email address, your phone is useless even if you see the phone on https://account.microsoft.com/devices

In the case of IPhone, the phone is linked with IMEI. If it is registered with another email address, you can locate it from web with icloud account.

If I am mistaken, please correct me.
    It's similar to how the Windows Phone works. On the iPhone, it's logged into your iCloud account. Then you can go to iCloud.com and log into your iCloud account and find the phone. It's not locked to the phone's IMEI.

Because peeps can sell the phone. The new owner can then wipe the phone, log into their iCloud account. It becomes their phone.

If you are able to locate the phone with JUST the IMEI, that's bad because you can sell the phone. You can track where the new owner is going. Creepy.
    03-12-2016 11:21 PM
    when you buy secondhand phone you need to tell the owner to remove the device from their account
    Shkupjani likes this.
    03-14-2016 11:02 PM
    Not just phone, basically all windows 10 devices including Xbox one now, you have to ask them to remove the device from their account, otherwise you won't be able to use the devices on your account, or you might get into troubles.
    Shkupjani likes this.
    03-14-2016 11:43 PM
    I bought Lumia 950 again but how can i use reset protection when is not available in europe or on european devices!!!???

Do what now... I can't fully protect my phone
    04-01-2016 03:49 PM
    I bought Lumia 950 again but how can i use reset protection when is not available in europe or on european devices!!!???

Do what now... I can't fully protect my phone
    Are you sure about Europe don't have that? majority of Lumia are sold in Europe.
    anyway, on your phone, go Setting->update & security-> find my phone then you should see Rest protection setting as well as other find my phone setting too.
    04-01-2016 05:41 PM
    If your variant's firmware doesn't include Reset Protection, flash it to a different one that does.
    04-01-2016 07:19 PM
    Are you sure about Europe don't have that? majority of Lumia are sold in Europe.
    anyway, on your phone, go Setting->update & security-> find my phone then you should see Rest protection setting as well as other find my phone setting too.
    Here is the screenshot
    wp_ss_20160402_0002.jpg
    04-02-2016 05:28 PM
    If your variant's firmware doesn't include Reset Protection, flash it to a different one that does.
    This is the latest build
    wp_ss_20160402_0003.jpg
    04-02-2016 05:29 PM
    wp_ss_20160402_0001.jpg
    this is what should be , and if your phone is from carrier, they might disable the protection on the firmware, so you have to try to flash a different firmware (better using the Non branded/unlocked firmware or dev firmware) go to XDA forums there will have info for you how to do that. Windows 10 Mobile
    04-02-2016 05:40 PM
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=dbAUiEmr

The feature is available only in the US, and only for new Lumia devices that have shipped with OS version 8.10.15127.138 or later.

Is this true???
    04-02-2016 05:53 PM
    I am in Canada, but I have that since Lumia 830 so not really sure other countries.
    04-05-2016 04:05 PM
    Spanish 950 here and no reset protection option...
    04-05-2016 04:46 PM
    I forgot to mention, my Lumia is bought in Sweden and using in Macedonia
    04-08-2016 10:51 AM
    So flash it to the US variant then. http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...-new-post.html

I can confirm that the NAM and LTA variants do indeed have reset protection. Apparently Europe does not.
    04-08-2016 02:21 PM
45 12