Find lost Lumia 950

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
The issue is does/why Microsoft allow the same phone (with same IMEI) to be registered again with another email address?
Even if the answer is YES, but it should notify the primary email address about this.
If your phone's reset protection is ON, then, they won't allow it to be register to others and will notify you that someone is trying to reset you phone with another MS account.
But since your reset protection is OFF, then they don't have the right/responsibility to do so any more.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
The issue is does/why Microsoft allow the same phone (with same IMEI) to be registered again with another email address?
Even if the answer is YES, but it should notify the primary email address about this.

It is what it is. What you ask is very problematic to control. You say you lost it. What if the other person says they bought it? What if they are in a different country governed by different laws?

I think you should just take this as a learning experience. Also, wouldn't your home insurance cover this under the contents from home while they are away from home clause?

Next time, use a PIN and use reset protection.

Shkupjani

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Thats how technology is ... at least at present. That is where I was confused - whether you are trying to see any sudden change in technology OR you are still trying to get your phone first :)

I c about the current technology ;)

I would like to raise this issue for changing the technology of Microsoft like Apple's one.
Please read about LOST MODE
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2700?locale=en_US

What do you think?

My phone is lost. I concern about future, about owners of Windows phones :)

Shkupjani

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
If your phone's reset protection is ON, then, they won't allow it to be register to others and will notify you that someone is trying to reset you phone with another MS account.
But since your reset protection is OFF, then they don't have the right/responsibility to do so any more.

I didn't know about this feature before :(

Is there any other way to find who registered my phone by IMEI?

Shkupjani

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
It is what it is. What you ask is very problematic to control. You say you lost it. What if the other person says they bought it? What if they are in a different country governed by different laws?

I think you should just take this as a learning experience. Also, wouldn't your home insurance cover this under the contents from home while they are away from home clause?

Next time, use a PIN and use reset protection.

I use PIN but not reset protection since I didn't know about this feature :(

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I c about the current technology ;)

I would like to raise this issue for changing the technology of Microsoft like Apple's one.
Please read about LOST MODE
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2700?locale=en_US

What do you think?

My phone is lost. I concern about future, about owners of Windows phones :)

yes MS do have similar thing, it called "Lock" or "Erase" under find my phone. I suggest you "lock" your phone, because it will give you an option to push a message to whoever found/stolen your phone. with maybe your contact info or so, and if that person is honest enough , he/she might try to contact you .
Untitled picture.png

Shkupjani

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
yes MS do have similar thing, it called "Lock" or "Erase" under find my phone. I suggest you "lock" your phone, because it will give you an option to push a message to whoever found/stolen your phone. with maybe your contact info or so, and if that person is honest enough , he/she might try to contact you .
View attachment 123545

Here is the difference: If I am not mistaken, LOCK is functional only if the phone is registered/linked with my email address whereas IPhone LOST MODE is linked with IMEI.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about iPhone but it won't make any sense that you can just lock a phone with IMEI, you have to register it to your account so they know you are the owner.

Shkupjani

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about iPhone but it won't make any sense that you can just lock a phone with IMEI, you have to register it to your account so they know you are the owner.

Maybe I am not clear.

When you activate/register Windows phone, it will linked by phone number and email address. It means you can search/locate the phone only when is registered with your email address. If the thief has activated/registered with his phone number and email address, your phone is useless even if you see the phone on https://account.microsoft.com/devices

In the case of IPhone, the phone is linked with IMEI. If it is registered with another email address, you can locate it from web with icloud account.

If I am mistaken, please correct me.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
That is what you are wrong , it is the phone is link to your account not your phone number. Why do you think they can even tell which model and OS the device is? It is linked to the serial number of all your windows devices. In the case for phone the serial number is the IMEI.
Fantasia Painting(1).jpg
just for another case, my lumia 635 is not linked to any phone number but it still shows in my device list as well as its IMEI
Untitled picture.png

Last edited:

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Dude, sorry for your loss. I enabled reset protection recently and locked a 640XL I was having someone use it overseas. I didn't realize it was locked and they couldn't use it, even after WDRT wiped it. When you go to set it up again, it say it's protected and need the unlock code, which is obtained from your Microsoft Account device page. I've since saved those keys for my 640XL and 950XL.

Can you update us on your progress so far?

You lost your phone
Have you tried calling your cell number recently? Anyone picked up today?
Did you change your MSA password just in case?
What about all your other accounts like Instagram, Emails, Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, Bank accounts, etc.
Have you called your carrier to lock your SIM?
If you have 2-step text code authentication, the SIM (your phone number) will be sent the codes. Disabling the SIM will help prevent the finder from getting codes.
Do you have Reset Protection ON?
Have you tried to remote wipe your phone?
Have you checked your carrier account to see if there are any unusual activities?
You can track what phone numbers your SIM (phone number) has been calling and maybe see who the finder has been calling, IF they've been using your SIM (phone number)

Note: The IMEI is like serial number printed on the phone itself, not the SIM.

Monitor all your social accounts to see if it's being logged in from a location, if that option is available and enabled. If your Microsoft Account (MSA) is still being used on your device, you should still be able to log into your MSA devices page and see where it's at. But if you did not have reset protection on, then it's pretty much a loss. I think even with a PIN, peeps can use WDRT to wipe it themselves, I could be wrong.

Well anyways. Good luck friend.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Maybe I am not clear.

When you activate/register Windows phone, it will linked by phone number and email address. It means you can search/locate the phone only when is registered with your email address. If the thief has activated/registered with his phone number and email address, your phone is useless even if you see the phone on https://account.microsoft.com/devices

In the case of IPhone, the phone is linked with IMEI. If it is registered with another email address, you can locate it from web with icloud account.

If I am mistaken, please correct me.

It's similar to how the Windows Phone works. On the iPhone, it's logged into your iCloud account. Then you can go to iCloud.com and log into your iCloud account and find the phone. It's not locked to the phone's IMEI.

Because peeps can sell the phone. The new owner can then wipe the phone, log into their iCloud account. It becomes their phone.

If you are able to locate the phone with JUST the IMEI, that's bad because you can sell the phone. You can track where the new owner is going. Creepy.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Not just phone, basically all windows 10 devices including Xbox one now, you have to ask them to remove the device from their account, otherwise you won't be able to use the devices on your account, or you might get into troubles.

Shkupjani

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I bought Lumia 950 again but how can i use reset protection when is not available in europe or on european devices!!!???

Do what now... I can't fully protect my phone :crying:

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I bought Lumia 950 again but how can i use reset protection when is not available in europe or on european devices!!!???

Do what now... I can't fully protect my phone :crying:
Are you sure about Europe don't have that? majority of Lumia are sold in Europe.
anyway, on your phone, go Setting->update & security-> find my phone then you should see Rest protection setting as well as other find my phone setting too.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
wp_ss_20160402_0001.jpg
this is what should be , and if your phone is from carrier, they might disable the protection on the firmware, so you have to try to flash a different firmware (better using the Non branded/unlocked firmware or dev firmware) go to XDA forums there will have info for you how to do that. Windows 10 Mobile

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb