Power button needs to be pressed multiple times to turn on 950's display

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by cabbonizio
I have this same issue although with another twist. When the screen finally comes back on after multiple presses of the power button, my screen seems to be very dim as if the brightness was turned low. I try to adjust the brightness after this and I can never get it back to the way it was. I have to restart the phone and all back to normal. The screen is so dim I can barely see anything very strange and I have not been able to find a pattern for this.
I cannot explain how frustrating this is being in a situation where I have to dial into work conference, call my sons daycare, family and I literally can't get my screen to turn on. When it does, it's awfully dimmed. I am really looking forward to the firmware update for US ATT, which we're all still patiently waiting for but not sure if this will make a difference. I can't think of a worse bug I have had to deal with as long as I have owned a smartphone.

Happens to me but rarely, say 2-3 times over last 30 days. Screen comes back up fine after shut down /repower. Hopefully this behavior is flagged for a look by engineers, as well as the power button issue.

cabbonizio

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah in terms of frequency it doesn't happen that often, but always when I really really need the phone to work, not when I'm being lazy and browsing the web for killing time....LOL. Good to know we have a thread for this and hopefully it has visibility to get this resolved.

dfaris

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that after I use Groove for awhile is when I get the problem with the screen. If I do a restart and don't use groove I don't have a problem.

TudorD

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
the screen does "come on".....the real problem is that it's not shown ....if that makes any sense

so, after you press the power button to light up the phone and you see nothing on the screen just act as if you would (swipe, stay in the best possible way so that the iris scanner recognizes you, etc.) - and wait a bit afterwards - and the phone will act accordingly and take you to the main screen.

still, haven't found the culprit yet for this.

Jackie Earley

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I've tried disabling Windows hello, glance screen, detailed app, and different combinations of those under lock screen settings. This is frustrating as I've hard reset my phone using WDRT a couple times already in the past two months. My wife's 950 has the same issue and hers was hard reset a month ago. Both of us reported the issue in Feedback Hub but it's going to require each of us to not only upvote, but give your own information as well. Not in a new post, but in the same Feedback thread so the post count goes up. I see so many people trying to create new feedback for the same thing. Upvote it and if you have a better way of explaining it, post it as details.

TudorD

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
if you have this problem you can try the fix that seems to be working for me, so far:

disable automatic brightness and set a fixed level that you like

Last edited:

msft-lumia-950

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,
This issue was so frustrating from the day one. They say this stone that stone and redstone builds but nothing fixed this issue.

I gave my mobile for service couple of times and even though no luck. Finally device replacement also done, but issue still persists.

As TudorD said I have just disabled the Automatic Brightness now... And testing it... Thanks TudorD for your reply.

Good day.

sri kamal

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Guys any resolution .. I am facing this very frequently from yesterday. Seems like every time I answer a call after that issue is coming

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Guys any resolution .. I am facing this very frequently from yesterday. Seems like every time I answer a call after that issue is coming
I was having the same problem. Seemed to become a problem with the most recent production build. I updated to release preview and it seems to have improved a lot.

natna

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue after the 189 update.
The phone didn't even wake up in incoming calls for 10secs.
How the heck should I accept a call with black screen #@!^&%^

I disabled the double tap to wake.
Did free some more GBs from the phone's memory.
And several soft resets.
Now it seems to work better, but not flawlessly.
I was really ready to throw it out of a window...

My bro has a plain 640 and there are several 640xl owned by family and friends.
They all work like a charm.
The daily experience is the same or better than my 950! I mean it!
The quality control is really poor in this wannabe flagship...

The updates fix a few, but create more bugs.
MS screwed this up.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
It's funny to hear about this. I was thinking that it may be something with the proximity sensor. I have one and so does my father in law, both AT&T branded. I did WDRT on both phones when AT&T introduced the Double Tap update. Before the update to Double Tap and 189 update, both phones had that issue. After WDRT, my phone works like a charm and his continues with the same problem. He had the 640 before this issue. Another guess could be the backup and restore but not sure. I'm making an appt. to go to the MS store in Cerritos this weekend to maybe have it exchanged before they are gone.

sri kamal

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I disabled the automatic brightness after my latest message which some five days back and I didn't face the issue even once

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
So I made a phone call and I wanted to hang up and I kept trying to hit the one off button to wake up the phone, but the screen wouldn't wake up and of course it lead to a voicemail of me trying to hang up the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss