The Lumia 950 may develop symptoms of the failing microphone, just like the 930.

Luckily it's not a proper hardware fault, but instead a Design Flaw.

The rubber ring around the mic may get in the way of the microphone's membrane.

I got the issue covered on my blog if you need further details on it:

An Unbelievable Lumia 950 Design Flaw That Will Make You Mad
    Jackie Earley and tn_friend like this.
    03-07-2016 09:51 PM
    Mine was like that out of the box, have to keep sliding it back into place.
    03-07-2016 10:35 PM
    Hmm will have to watch for that on my 950xl.... You're lucky your 930 was able to be fixed by warranty, I had no warranty coverage on mine since it was imported
    03-07-2016 10:43 PM
    Hmm will have to watch for that on my 950xl.... You're lucky your 930 was able to be fixed by warranty, I had no warranty coverage on mine since it was imported
    That's bad, man. MS should have replaced all under warranty, no matter where it was bought. This affects almost all 930s, AFAIK. Many won't notice it, but the problem might be there.
    03-08-2016 11:36 AM
    That's bad, man. MS should have replaced all under warranty, no matter where it was bought. This affects almost all 930s, AFAIK. Many won't notice it, but the problem might be there.
    How can people not notice? They must never record video or try to skype :D
    03-08-2016 12:57 PM
    The 930 fiasco was much, much worse. I talked my friend into buying one last year and he went through hell to get it repaired. Thanks to Chinese manufacturers the mic and the MOBO were both faulty. That's why I decided to go with the 830 instead.
    Such expensive flagship devices shouldn't be prone to developing defects like that. I know it's not the case with all handsets, but still.

I hope MS addresses the issue this time though.
    03-09-2016 02:52 PM
    Both the original and exchanged phones are doing this. The bottom mic is nearly covered by the gasket/adhesive.img_20160222_112600.jpg
    iamnixster likes this.
    03-11-2016 04:00 PM
    i have the same problem and after i got my lumia 950 back from warranty i think the microphone still cant hear voices clear... shazam and soundhound doesnt recognise any music and when i try to use microsoft's voice recorder (dunno whats the real app name in english) it records the music very low but when i talk into it, it sounds ok.
    03-18-2016 08:06 PM
    i have the same problem and after i got my lumia 950 back from warranty i think the microphone still cant hear voices clear... shazam and soundhound doesnt recognise any music and when i try to use microsoft's voice recorder (dunno whats the real app name in english) it records the music very low but when i talk into it, it sounds ok.
    What did the warranty do with your problem ? Did they just replace the rubber gasket or they replace the entire middle cover ?
    04-11-2016 10:34 PM
    Both the original and exchanged phones are doing this. The bottom mic is nearly covered by the gasket/adhesive.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160222_112600.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	742.2 KB 
ID:	123539
    You had your phone exchanged for this problem ? and the rubber gasket position remains the same ?
    04-11-2016 10:36 PM
    The Lumia 950 may develop symptoms of the failing microphone, just like the 930.

Luckily it's not a proper hardware fault, but instead a Design Flaw.

The rubber ring around the mic may get in the way of the microphone's membrane.

I got the issue covered on my blog if you need further details on it:

An Unbelievable Lumia 950 Design Flaw That Will Make You Mad
    Did you have it repaired ?
    04-11-2016 10:38 PM
    I accidentally peeled my rubber gasket, and now i feel it loses its noise reduction feature. When it's windy i get more wind noise when listening from left speaker.

Does the rubber gasket helps the noise reduction ? or wind noise reduction ?

image1-7818836-.jpg
    04-11-2016 10:53 PM
    I have allready had a problem with the microphone.There was hw failure.
    04-12-2016 02:44 PM
    I have allready had a problem with the microphone.There was hw failure.
    What kind of problem ? which microphone that has failure on your phone ?
    04-13-2016 06:00 AM
    The microphone (left front) is extremely whirring.
    04-24-2016 08:49 AM
    So I found this as I felt the mic was having some issues and my 950 had the same issue. The left had slid down and when I listened to a video that I recorded, the left speaker in my headphones was muted. I slid it back and now the audio is back again... Voice dictation has gotten very bad lately. I wonder if the front mic has the same issue, however, its under the screen.. I just know that I have to speak close to the mic in order for voice dictation to work. That used to not be the case. I could have it on my desk and it would work.

When my wife gets home, I'm going to check hers.
    08-02-2017 01:27 PM
    yeah my microphone has just shat itself....sigh

no reason for it either. Its a unused phone, no damage, not dropped, lives in a case.
    08-08-2017 09:24 PM
    Just removed the little foam rings from my 950 because they were both smashed and completely blocking the microphone holes (they practically fell off). It's a wonder the mics picked up any sound at all!

While every product has its issues, I strongly suspect these phones (and the 950 XL) did not receive proper engineering and testing during development. I bet you dollars to doughnuts many corners were cut in materials, workmanship and design, and that they were rushed to market. Le sigh...
    08-17-2017 10:25 AM
    I have had people tell me they cannot hear me on the 950 XL, there is a hole in the face side, down by the usb port, the diagram that comes with the phone (950 and 950XL) shows that, and two on the rear, which all foam donuts were moved over the hole on both my 950 and 950 XL.

Is the one on the front suspect? If so that's not an easy fix....

I did recordings with voice recorder and it sounds perfect, not muffled of cutting in or out.

Anybody have a fix besides removing the foam seals?
    09-17-2017 03:19 PM
    I have had people tell me they cannot hear me on the 950 XL, there is a hole in the face side, down by the usb port, the diagram that comes with the phone (950 and 950XL) shows that, and two on the rear, which all foam donuts were moved over the hole on both my 950 and 950 XL.

Is the one on the front suspect? If so that's not an easy fix....

I did recordings with voice recorder and it sounds perfect, not muffled of cutting in or out.

Anybody have a fix besides removing the foam seals?
    09-17-2017 03:20 PM