AT&T HD Call?

davidbcox

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
AT&T HD Call

Hello everyone,

I just got a Lumia 950 a few days ago. When talking to other people talking on a cell, the call quality seemed "harsh" or slightly staticy. Almost like a really cheap headphone speaker. I know, that is a horrible description, but that is the best way I can describe the degraded call quality. I noticed it was an HD call in all instances. I would assume an HD would be better, but when talking to someone on a landline, it is fine. Voicemails are fine too.

Do I have a setting wrong somewhere?

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: AT&T HD Call

If you have hey Cortana on it uses all the microphones on the phone. We did a trial run with it off and it's clearer. Check that and it's either if you call someone or someone calls you if you have hey Cortana on is when all the mics pick up the sounds.

davidbcox

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, Cortana is off, so the problem lies somewhere else. I just got off the phone with someone and had no issues. It didn't indicate an HD call.

davidbcox

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site

On the screen during the call. It will say AT&T HD somewhere near the name/number of the person you are talking to.

davidbcox

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site

Sorry if this post is a duplicate. I replied to both of you, but I don't see them.

@xrs22 Unfortunately, Cortana is off, so the problem lies elsewhere. I just talked to someone and the quality was fine. An HD call was not indicated on the screen.

@DLong4 The screen will show AT&T HD somewhere close to the name/number of the person on the call. I don't remember exactly where, but you'll see it easily if its there.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: AT&T HD Call?

Well, HD Call is VoLTE, and should sound GLORIOUS! (I was blown away the 1st time I got an HD call!) Now, the problem COULD also be the person you are talking to. If they are in an area with spotty LTE, that could be your problem there.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Is the harsh sounding call on the 950 end or on the other end? If it's on the 950 end, it shouldn't have anything to do with Hey Cortana, that only appears to affect the far end. ashram said HD should be VoLTE, is this the same as VoIP? I've had a number of calls where the far end is VoIP, and the quality of call is tinny, like a poor quality speaker phone. The problem may well be on the far end.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

I have had talked to others via various VoIP services and quality varies between service provider. HD voice should be crystal clear.

davidbcox

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site

My wife and I noticed it. I thought it was only on my end (I have the 950), but she said she noticed it on her end as well. She is using an iPhone6. We are both on AT&T.

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, Cortana is off, so the problem lies somewhere else. I just got off the phone with someone and had no issues. It didn't indicate an HD call.

When you say that 'Cortana is off' do you mean specifically that the 'Hey Cortana' feature as seen in Cortana's notebook/settings is set to off?

Albatross2

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

Has anyone had luck getting AT&T to enable HD Voice for an unlocked MS dual sim 950? I spent 20 minutes on chat with a technician at AT&T trying to get him to provision my account for this. Finally at the end he said he wasn't authorized to do this for me and i would be hearing from next level support. Next level never contacted me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99