Iris Scanner

suburbanl3g3nd

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
As of today, how good is the Iris Scanner with all of the firmware updates and OS updates on the unlocked Lumia 950? I decided to buy one from the sale going on and my phone was delayed from shipping and I really want to know if it will be worth my time to set up.

So, is it comparable to the finger print readers now or is it still a little slower and not very efficient?

mark McWilliams

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Mine is also pretty fast. It only messes up sometimes if I'm walking really fast in the direct sunlight. Other then that it's pretty sweet. I really like how you can set up the gadgets app so that when you plug your headphones in the phone turns on and unlocks with the scanner and opens up to your music app

Ygglens

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Works fast and is accurate. I do have to lift my phone to an angle, and look directly at the speaker, for it to work, but my eyes are really squinty, so that's probably why.

The scanner has a max distance, so you'll always have to make sure the red dot is pointing directly at your face, and be no more than about two hand lengths away from your nose.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine never works well in sunlight or when I'm moving around no matter how many times I recalibrate it. It really only work when you are not moving in prefect lighting conditions which makes it pointless. I'll try it out after every major update with similar results then turn it off. I'd rather have double tap to wake on the 950

suburbanl3g3nd

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for everything, guys!! I appreciate it! Can you improve the calibration a certain number of times or can you just keep doing it over and over to make it really good?

ZuLuuuuuu

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I have been trying iris scanner since yesterday. Did all the software and firmware updates. Trained it under several conditions.

I have glasses (not too high numbered) and scanner works really bad with glasses. I need to keep my eyes directly in front of camera between 10-15 cm (not further or closer) and then it can recognize me in 1-2 seconds with about 70% chance. The recognition capability drops significantly when you wear glasses. And even without glasses, recognition is not so good either. The distances and angles expands a little bit more but again it is still limiting and even when it works great, it takes about 500 ms - 1 second. A fingerprint scanner recognizes your fingerprint in less than 500 ms.

Now that I have tried both fingerprint scanner and iris scanner I can easily say fingerprint scanner is superior. I am very sorry but iris scanner looks like a gimmick. It might be working "kinda" acceptable for people without glasses but that's it, whereas fingerprint scanner is almost ubiquitous these days and works really well after even the first training.

Last edited:

mikewarner

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I've tried the iris scanner several times but it's just not reliable enough a piece of hardware/software to unlock my phone with. I've recalibrated the option multiple times but still find different light conditions a major factor as well as having to hold the phone very close to my face on numerous occasions, which defeats the premise of a simple unlock feature. For me and on the balance of my experiences with iris scanner it's switched off on my phone and I too would vote for a fingerprint scanner.

skeewiff03

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
The iris scanner is fantastic on the SP4. I havent made up my mind yet for L950, bugs me that need to move phone so close to my face before it works

Blomsternisse

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
It works pretty well for me when I'm indoors, not tired and aren't wearing glasses. As soon as I try to use it with my glasses on it fails 9 out of 10 times. It also does not work when I'm newly awoken in the morning. It also has problems working in sunlight (and forget about using it when moving). A fingerprint reader would have been a much better idea, but I guess they wanted to try if it worked or not. I really miss the fingerprint reader from my old iPhone. :(

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
It's ok and works well, but a lot of the times, it's just plain quicker to enter a 4 digit pin. Though I'm all for it if it can be used for authorising payments as it's ideally suited for that purpose.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6