Lumia 950 Rebooting...

MAUXIIS

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else experiencing their Lumia 950 constant rebooting on it's own??? Upwards of 20 times a day. No rhyme or reason or specific time or app that cause it, it seems.

earl_z

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. Not 20 times a day, but I have to force reboot the phone because Windows Hello stops working and it refuses to charge.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Mine doesn't reboot on its own, but if I shut off, then turn it back on, a message pops up telling me that something has happened to my phone or my SIM card and a reboot is needed.

Schandmaul

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I have random reboots as well. There is no discernable pattern...

On top of that, my battery seems to have a loose connection. Sometimes I get a reboot when I put my phone on a table. In another thread I read about readjusting the pins of the battery, maybe that helps.

Thazal

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else experiencing their Lumia 950 constant rebooting on it's own??? Upwards of 20 times a day. No rhyme or reason or specific time or app that cause it, it seems.

I was having this issue, and finally contacted MS. I sent my phone in to their support center, I got it back two weeks later and they had fixed whatever was causing it. I haven't had a problem since.

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Mine was giving me trouble when I was out at a thing with the kids. We were having a great time, went to take some pictures of a once in a lifetime thing, and the phone shuts down. It then went into this reboot fit. Whenever I tried to take pictures, or just whenever it felt like it.

Aanze

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I have random reboots as well. There is no discernable pattern...

I also thought there was not discernable pattern until very recently when I noticed it did reboot everytime the device is being slightly "shocked".
Examples:
=> putting it on a hard surface (not brutally but not softly, like dropping it from a 2cm height on a table)
=> I sometimes throw it to my bed from a few meters before going to sleep, and that sometimes will cause the phone to reboot

Shock are never importants, I'm not talking about brutalizing the phone or throwing it against a wall ;)
The solution for me was to keep being extreeeemely gently with it..

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I also thought there was not discernable pattern until very recently when I noticed it did reboot everytime the device is being slightly "shocked".
Examples:
=> putting it on a hard surface (not brutally but not softly, like dropping it from a 2cm height on a table)
=> I sometimes throw it to my bed from a few meters before going to sleep, and that sometimes will cause the phone to reboot

This sounds like it could be caused by a loose battery connection. The "shock" could cause the battery to momentarily disconnect.

xzb6np

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes and it's driving me crazy. It has been doing it for the last couple insider builds as well as when I dropped back to the latest production build. It works fine for a day then will either start doing the reboot thing or doing the I don't want to charge thing. Like right now it's at 52%. I plug it in and it charges about 1% then the indicator jumps to 100% and it stops charging.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any reboot problem since the last update. Perhaps one of your apps causes the problem. Try to check if there is any update for your apps.

Yes and it's driving me crazy. It has been doing it for the last couple insider builds as well as when I dropped back to the latest production build. It works fine for a day then will either start doing the reboot thing or doing the I don't want to charge thing. Like right now it's at 52%. I plug it in and it charges about 1% then the indicator jumps to 100% and it stops charging.

Aanze

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
This sounds like it could be caused by a loose battery connection. The "shock" could cause the battery to momentarily disconnect.

That's actually very possible, I tried to stuck a piece of paper on top of the battery between the battery and the plastic block, so far, didn't have a single reboot even after several small shocks..

Groover1971

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
My daughter's 950 was having the random restarts and I thought it was a low battery. I switched our batteries and her phone started working perfectly. I put her battery into mine and mine started the random restarts. I put it on the charger and at one point the phone showed 60% charge and shortly after, it showed 100%. Then a little while later, back down to 60% again. I plan to pick up a new battery today.

Schandmaul

May 1, 2015
Visit site
That's actually very possible, I tried to stuck a piece of paper on top of the battery between the battery and the plastic block, so far, didn't have a single reboot even after several small shocks..

Just like you I noticed that my random reboots can all be traced back to small shocks, like putting the phone on a table, throwing it on a pillow etc.
I used the paper trick, too. I put a piece of paper (folded multiple times) between the battery and the back cover. Small shocks are no longer a problem. Just when the phone gets "hit" from an odd angle (for example when the phone's corner touches something on the table) it instantly reboots.

On the one hand I am relieved to finally know the cause of my reboots. On the other hand it is very annoying that a "flagship" phone like the Lumia 950 is manufactured so badly that the act of merely putting it on a table provokes a reboot. I paid a lot of money for it and I don't want to duct tape the battery to the phone in order to make it work properly.

I am also not willing to tinker with the contacts on the battery. In another thread someone suggested prying the contacts to tighten their grip in order to prevent them to lose connection during a shock. It seems to me that the space for the battery is too big. It can move around in the case, and it seems that even a movement of about a milimeter is enough for the battery to lose connection. This should not be the case in a flagship phone (or in any phone, for that matter).

TLDR: Putting a piece of paper between battery and back cover prevents 95% of shock-related reboots. This should not be necessary in a flagship phone.

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
My wife's 950 randomly reboots every week or so. Usually after taking many photographs. It has never been dropped or otherwise shocked.

Any suggestions?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99