07-02-2016 11:14 AM
74 123
tools
    Although it runs that laggy, buggy garbage called android.
    S7 + Android works flawlessly. Windows 10 on 950 is choppy.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    ByeVanno and curseoftheninja like this.
    05-16-2016 07:45 PM
    Although it runs that laggy, buggy garbage called android.
    Um, Windows 10 Mobile?

Hey, Glass house? Meet Stone.
    curseoftheninja likes this.
    05-19-2016 08:27 AM
    Getting back on topic, I have now tried everything with no luck. Reset the phone, removed micro sd card, even tried with back off and overheating problem continues, and perhaps a little worse. In most cases I can not watch an on line video, like You tube for more then a few minutes. Even long Whatsapp messges appear to cause it, and now, with music on the phone while plugged in triggers it in about one minute.

Should I now consider it defective or am I missing something?
    05-24-2016 07:24 AM
    If you're on the Production version of Windows 10 and the problem exists without an SD card inserted, then I would certainly raise this as a warranty issue and see repair/replacement.
    05-24-2016 09:09 AM
    How about looking in the Batter Saver app and see what is using all the power ? I think there is a good list of items that can cause additional battery usage.. like Feedback and Diagnostics and Lumia Motion Data . The battery saver app should list the abuser... oh Microsoft Health running in background can be a culprit as well.

Or just go get an iPhone. nothing wrong with that though just may be a different set of issues... I'm fairly certain no phone or software is perfect ;) but it may suit you better for your needs.
    05-24-2016 10:09 AM
    I'd like to read my company email with my windows phone but IT is telling me: "windows phones does not fulfill our security compliance and requirements." I mean come on!! Windows phones are not even business compliant? Isn't that supposed to be their selling point??

I don't believe these are technical problems that microsoft cannot fix. I'm pretty sure they have the talent. Whatever management/marketing teams they have is the one lacking vision and wisdom. I'm not sure upper level management has a clue either, as they use iphones in their personal vacations.
    05-24-2016 02:26 PM
    I find that statement somewhat surprising. Windows Phone is very compliant with corporate IT policies. Without knowing what the exact issue is, it's hard to say anything. The other side of the story is that Windows Phone isn't that tolerant of mis-configured policies (it'll respect and reject security issues that Apple/Android devices will simply ignore).
    05-25-2016 02:21 PM
    To be honest I never faced the memory card issue. But I do face battery issues and the phone temperature. The glass gets warm and the back upper part. Once I put my phone down for two minutes the temperature drops. Again android phone heat up as well. It's not a deal breaker..
    05-26-2016 11:00 AM
    It is an issue when your shuts down.
    05-26-2016 11:07 AM
    Sounds like yon need a new phone.
    05-26-2016 07:35 PM
    I'm sorry to hear you're having problems.

I try android every two years or so. It always goes the same. I get the device, it works well for about 6 months and then becomes laggy slow and useless.

When I'm in a meeting I need immediate access to OneNote and my files in OneDrive. This is where my 950 and 950xl excel. They destroy every android device I've ever used.

I'll be honest the Facebook app is horrible. I'm not sure why they overheat when running multiple tabs in Edge. Overall this phone is excellent for my specific needs. And the camera is purely awesome.

If your looking for a social media device that can make phone calls, look to android and apple. If your looking for a business powerhouse these are the only phones that are beginning to make the leap that my BB8700G made in 2006.

WM10 is far from perfect and I hope many of the little issues are solved in the very near future. It is far from the confident failure Android has been for me.
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-27-2016 09:31 AM
    I'd like to read my company email with my windows phone but IT is telling me: "windows phones does not fulfill our security compliance and requirements." I mean come on!! Windows phones are not even business compliant? Isn't that supposed to be their selling point??
    You might check with your Administrator to determine what MDM they are using and also what setting is causing the compliance issue. You are however correct that MS can and likely will resolve these issues unfortunately some MDM's require an "Agent" (app) and well.. there's the app gap again.. Anyway if your company is using EAS policies or Intune/EMS then these will likely get fixed in future builds..
    05-27-2016 10:04 AM
    To the OP, I would guess you have two separate issues here, a potentially duff SD card (Although your format may have sorted that) and the battery issue, I have a 1520 so no direct experience with a 950 (Thinking of buying one to tide me over till the HP comes out and then give to wife).

Overheating tends to happen when the phone is "Busy" doing stuff in the background, I know this was the case on my Surface Pro 3 and my 1520, the Surface was cured by a simple settings change that stopped an MS process, the 1520 was sorted by going into the settings, battery saver and studying what was using the battery and the processor as well (The processor running at full blast is highly likely the source of the heat), in my case I found that MS Health was going into overdrive, using up to 50% of the battery (And I guess processor power to use up the battery), I disabled running in background for that app and my phone went back to normal.

Normal for me is still a knackered battery but then the phone is nearly 2 and a 1/2 years old and why I am considering the 950.
    05-28-2016 08:33 AM
    OK moaning about bugs aside how is the 950!? I currently have a 930 and a huawei p9 android.... the android isn't really for me... nice having all the extra apps n stuff but all of what I use can be done on browser anyway.

Main points I'm interested in are the loudspeaker. Clear ,loud? And battery life running standard on no inside builds what life should I expect from the battery?

05-28-2016 09:28 AM
    I will check the settings again.
    05-28-2016 09:52 AM
    OK moaning about bugs aside how is the 950!? I currently have a 930 and a huawei p9 android.... the android isn't really for me... nice having all the extra apps n stuff but all of what I use can be done on browser anyway.

Main points I'm interested in are the loudspeaker. Clear ,loud? And battery life running standard on no inside builds what life should I expect from the battery?

I just recently got a 950 and love it. I like W10M, battery life lasts me through the day (use is for both work and personal), and I generally have all the apps I need/use.
    Player Piano likes this.
    05-28-2016 02:05 PM
    I have found my SD card doesn't like the overheating of the handset. The card is fine but when the handset gets hot it starts playing up. Im fed up having to hard reset my phone to get it to carry out fundamental features Like receive amd install an os update! Been trying to get the most recent one for over a week and had an unuseable phone in that time between overheating and battery life! Its great apart from that which is disappointing.
    05-29-2016 06:23 AM
    is it just me or the latest built .318 had gone couple of steps back

touch response on live tile
    laggy
    also tends to hang(even whatsapp)
    batt life

the conspiracy theorist in me tells that its being set up for the big bang anniversary update
    05-29-2016 07:06 AM
    is it just me or the latest built .318 had gone couple of steps back

touch response on live tile
    laggy
    also tends to hang(even whatsapp)
    batt life

the conspiracy theorist in me tells that its being set up for the big bang anniversary update
    If I ever get it to download I will let you know. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ™ˆ
    05-29-2016 10:07 AM
    Having been a long-time user of a 1520 I was very excited when the 950XL was released, as I felt it was a worhty upgrade from my 1520. Having bought devices on release before I resisted rushing out to buy it in order to avoid early bugs and boy am I glad I did. They've been out for a while now and it seems little has changed.

While I absolutely adore Windows Phone, in all honesty the 950/950XL are mutton dressed as lamb. Personally if I was OP I'd try a replacement handset or just plain return it.

Windows 10 Mobile may be a step forward feature wise but the interface and performance have taken several steps back. Microsoft had won awards in the past for the design of WP and instead of sticking with their own design language, decided to copy Android/iOS in the name of familiarity.

It also feels as if a lot of Windows Central members have their fingers in their ears over issues with these handsets and on Microsoft's commitment to the platform. Yes, these handsets were created for die-hard WP fans, but only in order to cash in before they put it on a back burner.
    05-29-2016 06:53 PM
    Having been a long-time user of a 1520 I was very excited when the 950XL was released, as I felt it was a worhty upgrade from my 1520. Having bought devices on release before I resisted rushing out to buy it in order to avoid early bugs and boy am I glad I did. They've been out for a while now and it seems little has changed.

While I absolutely adore Windows Phone, in all honesty the 950/950XL are mutton dressed as lamb. Personally if I was OP I'd try a replacement handset or just plain return it.
    I too have been more than satisfied with my 1520 and if the battery wasn't beginning to go I would not have bothered with the 950. My experience so far is that I wish I had invested in a new battery and the kit you need to replace the 1520 battery. Despite the phone being out for a while the 950 is buggy and unreliable. Sorely disappointed. I did learn here about the SD card issue though so will try a new one. I just brought the old one over from my 1520.
    asylumxl likes this.
    05-30-2016 10:41 AM

DS950 here running .318.
    I like it. Great battery life, no overheating, and speaker call / notifications are loud.I don't have any of the issues mentioned here except unpolished software in some areas.
    In my case learning a new OS fixed a lot of "issues" but in your case you already use a WP.
    Last edited by blackburberry; 05-30-2016 at 03:51 PM. Reason: correction
    Player Piano likes this.
    05-30-2016 02:05 PM
    Get th s7, it's not even a question. The 950 only matches it in camera, but the windows store is a barren wasteland, android and iOS get all the new apps to play with, like the new social networking site Peach. Windows phones are for Microsoft enthusiasts, and most of them are ok with th shortcomings of the device. Once you use a high quality android or iPhone, you see what you've been missing.
    I dont know how i feel about supporting a company that first nudged Java out of the mobile business and then doesn't support competing platform except iOS.

But to OP, try turning off some applications in the background, that helped the 'heating up while using' a lot for me.
    05-31-2016 04:37 PM
    For the last week, my 950XL had been burning up. These builds definitely degrade over time. MS has the B Team on Mobile nowadays...wish I could get $650 refund for this #forgottenflagship
    05-31-2016 04:51 PM
    Guys, try clearing cache and other things in Edge if you experience slowness in Edge (--> high CPU --> heating up the phone ) and any app that might depend on Edge's rendering engine. I think there may be a nasty bug or two with Edge that's responsible for a lot of people's complaint.
    05-31-2016 06:06 PM
74 123