07-02-2016 10:14 AM
74 123
tools
    Here's my quick list of issues:

1) Random restarts - the phone will sometimes reboot for no apparent reason. It used to happen frequently when going from the camera to the camera roll, but this seems to have stopped after some of the more recent updates. Now the reboots are really random and less frequent.

2) Drops cellular connection. I can be stationary at home all day only to find that I have no connection to AT&T - no texts or phone calls, but Wifi still on. Happens a few times a month and at very random times. I should mention that I work from my home, it's not like I'm moving around when this happens. If I switch airplane mode on/off the phone will reconnect to the AT&T network.

3) Screen doesn't respond to touch. This only happens sometimes when I try to answer a phone call. It's like the phone doesn't know the screen is on. Many times I miss the call because the screen doesn't respond to finger input. Again, only happens sometimes.

4) Call quality. People often complain that they can't hear me, like my voice is cutting in and out. I can be stationary and this still happens. Not all the time, but frequently.

5) Call quality 2. People have complained about a mean echo when speaking to me. I found that I can mostly stop this by turning off the "hey cortana" feature. However, this still happens sometimes even though "hey cortana" is turned off. I found that muting the call and quickly un muting it...will fix this. This doesn't happen as often as it used to.

6) Runs hot. Rapid battery drain sitting on my desk. I usually try to charge my phone at the end of my work day to make it through the night. Everyday.

7) Save a phone number from an email or text to a NEW contact in your People app - takes a really long time, so long that it seems like it's not going to work.

8) Cortana/Bing/Edge image search doesn't work. Not sure where the fault is here; but if I call up Cortana and do a search for "beach pictures", it pulls up Edge and does a Bing search. If I click on the "images" tab, i see thumbnails of "beach pictures", but I I try to tap on one of those images, it tries to pull it up full screen, but the image will never come up. If I hit the back key, I can't go back. The only thing I can do is long press the back key and close Edge...and then start over. This happens every time.

9) I have two account in use with my 950, my MS Account of course, and a Gmail account. I have contacts (People) pulling from both accounts. When I get phone calls or text messages, some phone numbers don't pull up associated account names. When my friend calls me from her cell phone, I see her name and image when she calls. But when she calls from her home phone, I only see the phone number and not her name. Both phone numbers are stored in the same contact card. This doesn't happen for every person and every phone number...but I've not done systematic testing. I have a life. And this problem is mostly coming (but not exclusively) from the MS account stored contacts. So in other words, the Google account contacts actually work better.

10) I have a MS Band 2. Windows 10 mobile and the Band just don't work well together. Cortana doesn't work from my Band with the 950 (but it worked perfectly well from my 1020/WP8), and the keyboard on the Band won't work either. (It says it can't connect).

11) Bluetooth connection to my car. With my 1020, my car would read text messages to me and voice prompt me to reply. It worked all the time. With my 950, this feature is hit or miss. Sometimes it will read the text, sometimes it won't. Sometimes it prompts me to reply...sometimes it doesn't. If it does prompt me for a voice reply, sometimes it work, sometimes it doesn't. It's the same with my bluetooth headphones, so it's not just a problem with my car.

In the smartphone era, I've had Windows Mobile, Androids, Blackberry, before switching WP7 with the Focus, Lumia 900, 920, 1020 and 950. (BTW my 950 is an AT&T, non insider phone) The 950 is a cell phone. It should work as a phone. In this regard, issues 1-5 are enough to give up on the 950 as I've never had these types of problems before with ANY phone I've ever owned. The rest of the list contains other bugs or very specific issues; and I'm sure if I sat here longer I could come up with more problems with the 950/Windows 10. I've considered going back to my 1020 but I think I might just as well throw in the towel and go back to Android for good. I used to really like Windows Phone - back in the day I got a lot of friends and family to switch over, but the 950 has killed my affection for the platform.

I'm really curious, how long are you guys going to stick with Windows phones? For those that have jumped, which Android handset looks like a winner? (no Apple products for me...ever. Just my thing).
    dellaster and curseoftheninja like this.
    05-31-2016 11:19 PM
    Someone will jump in to tell you do a hard reset.๐Ÿ˜ญ it's a feature of W10M.๐Ÿ˜
    mikepalma, Jakoh, Br1an_g and 3 others like this.
    05-31-2016 11:34 PM
    You might check with your Administrator to determine what MDM they are using and also what setting is causing the compliance issue. You are however correct that MS can and likely will resolve these issues unfortunately some MDM's require an "Agent" (app) and well.. there's the app gap again.. Anyway if your company is using EAS policies or Intune/EMS then these will likely get fixed in future builds..
    actually the app they are using is AirWaves which has a windows app. If I had a clue about what's wrong I would use it as leverage when dealing with IT. When I told them that the app is there, and asked what's missing for the windows phone, that's the answer they gave me.
    06-01-2016 01:05 AM
    I m getting red tint on black screen. It is noticeable in dark room. Any idea how to resolve it
    06-01-2016 06:17 AM
    I'm not sure if the 950 actually has more problems than the XL version (maybe it's sold more due to being on AT&T?) but dang, it does seem to have the majority of the issues. Makes me glad I spent a bit more and went with the 950XL which has been perfect for just over a month now.
    06-01-2016 09:23 PM
    I m getting red tint on black screen. It is noticeable in dark room. Any idea how to resolve it
    Exchange it before 45 days
    06-02-2016 12:22 AM
    For those that have jumped, which Android handset looks like a winner? (no Apple products for me...ever. Just my thing).
    Most of your complaints seem more to be in the vein of "this is a basic function of a smartphone that should just work, but doesn't." That being said, an iPhone would relieve you from all of these issues and also allow you break into a great app ecosystem and you could still continue to use Microsoft services if that's important to you.

But if your aversion is really that strong, the Nexus lines, Galaxy S7 and Note 5 would all be clear upgrades compared to what you have. Choice dependent on whether having quick updates/a lightly skinned OS is more important or having the best screen/camera.
    06-02-2016 06:11 AM
    Guess I've been lucky. Have not had any overheating issues with my 950. My issues have been primarily related to WM10 which is very much still a BETA product but luckily Microsoft is pushing out updates at a good clip so my disappointment in the device is slowly turning into satisfaction.
    Player Piano likes this.
    06-02-2016 03:31 PM
    Guess I've been lucky. Have not had any overheating issues with my 950. My issues have been primarily related to WM10 which is very much still a BETA product but luckily Microsoft is pushing out updates at a good clip so my disappointment in the device is slowly turning into satisfaction.
    just out of curiosity. How many email/calendar accounts do you have. And do you have the Facebook app?
    06-02-2016 03:39 PM
    Someone will jump in to tell you do a hard reset.๐Ÿ˜ญ it's a feature of W10M.๐Ÿ˜
    I'm finding "hard reset" replies more often on Android forums than here.
    aximtreo likes this.
    06-02-2016 04:13 PM
    Someone will jump in to tell you do a hard reset. it's a feature of W10M.
    LOL, I should probably do this before I throw this phone against the wall. I saw the procedure to do the hard reset. Does anyone know if the phone will go out and pickup all the OTA updates that have come out since launch? There were more than a few updates as I recall.

BTW, I'm thinking about the Nexus 6p...I'm going to start looking at how many issues are going on with that phone.
    06-02-2016 06:29 PM
    The updates remain. You Just go under Settings -> System -> Info -> Reset your phone and after a restart it is done. But be aware, nothing will be kept on your phone, no apps, no photos or documents or anything. Only things on the sd card will be left untouched.
    06-03-2016 03:28 AM
    Well I did the hard reset this weekend.

So far, I found that my phone still disconnects from cellular network. Yesterday, my girlfriend emailed me to tell me to call her since my phone was apparently not working again! All her calls were rolling into voice mail. All while I'm sitting at my desk with the phone next to me. So yes, the GF is now reduced to emailing me because my phone goes offline.

Most everything else on my list from the earlier post seem to remain. I haven't had a restart yet, so that's good. Phone still runs hot. Bluetooth with my car is still iffy at best. Cortana doesn't work with the Band2 still. The one thing that did get fixed is I can now use Cortana to perform a Bing image search and have it pull up photos!

With great reluctance, I've ordered a Nexus 6P today. I hope the transition goes smoothly,
    06-08-2016 01:57 PM
    Well I did the hard reset this weekend.

So far, I found that my phone still disconnects from cellular network. Yesterday, my girlfriend emailed me to tell me to call her since my phone was apparently not working again! All her calls were rolling into voice mail. All while I'm sitting at my desk with the phone next to me. So yes, the GF is now reduced to emailing me because my phone goes offline.

Most everything else on my list from the earlier post seem to remain. I haven't had a restart yet, so that's good. Phone still runs hot. Bluetooth with my car is still iffy at best. Cortana doesn't work with the Band2 still. The one thing that did get fixed is I can now use Cortana to perform a Bing image search and have it pull up photos!

With great reluctance, I've ordered a Nexus 6P today. I hope the transition goes smoothly,
    Good luck with the Nexus! I should do the same ... my overall experience with the 950 has been horrendous. I'm amazed I haven't sent it through a wood chipper yet, which is where it belongs.
    curseoftheninja likes this.
    06-08-2016 05:26 PM
    I'm finding "hard reset" replies more often on Android forums than here.
    I had a Nexus 7 that restarted all the time on totally not Beta software. The replies were hard reset. did that, started to do it again soon.
    06-08-2016 07:17 PM
    I just got my Nexus 6p yesterday...a lot to do to setup to do still. It's too early for me to post a comparison to the 950 - heck I used that phone for over 6 months before I threw in the towel. I do miss the live tiles already, and I think Android's UX is all over the map, but this OS is so feature mature compared to W10M that it's no comparison. I'm sure I'll find things I hate about this Nexus, but as long as it can be used to make and receive phone calls and texts (reliably), I'll take that as a win from my 950.

I think I'll try to take my 950 back to AT&T and see if they'll give me a new one now that I another phone I can use.
    06-14-2016 06:30 PM
    I too have been more than satisfied with my 1520 and if the battery wasn't beginning to go I would not have bothered with the 950. My experience so far is that I wish I had invested in a new battery and the kit you need to replace the 1520 battery. Despite the phone being out for a while the 950 is buggy and unreliable. Sorely disappointed. I did learn here about the SD card issue though so will try a new one. I just brought the old one over from my 1520.
    Update: I replaced the old SD card with a new high speed card, and most of the problems have disappeared. I still get problems with wifi, where if I have signed into wifi via a login page, then leave the area, when I return the phone will reconnect but the login page won't come up and it will not access the internet. At that point I have to reboot the phone.

Otherwise, battery life has improved, it doesn't get very hot any more despite being enclosed in a full she'll, and it's quite responsive. And I'm finally getting used to the eyesight camera login...
    Mach_E likes this.
    06-15-2016 09:52 AM
    These comments are very interesting. I might be able to understand a overheating issue with a slow card, but am having trouble understanding what connection there might be to my overheating issue if I am not using a card at all.
    06-15-2016 10:00 AM
    had the first random restart with the latest update. do I really have to hard reset this piece of phone. what if I reset and it still randomly restarts.
    Last edited by obakir; 06-17-2016 at 05:28 PM.
    06-17-2016 05:00 PM
    Originally posted by obakir
    had the first random restart with the latest update. do I really have to hard reset this piece of phone. what if I reset and it still randomly restarts.
    A few weeks ago, my 950, which I bought in Nov 2015, started random shutdowns and also an occasional strange buzzing noise with a total freeze. I reluctantly try to hard reset and the problems continued so I asked AT&T to send a warranty replacement. The replacement is a little bit better, but still has occasional random shutdowns. I tested it with and without the SD card and the only thing that I can't test is the battery, since AT&T didn't send a new one with the replacement phone. A rep suggested it really might be the battery, which almost makes sense to me. So they're sending a brand new phone (not refurb as before) and a brand new battery and I hope not to have these issues anymore. I've had nothing but smooth use of this phone until these recent issues and hopefully the new phone will get me back to normal. I really like this OS and phone, which have been very useful for my business.
    Mach_E likes this.
    06-20-2016 10:57 AM
    Please let us know how it goes
    06-20-2016 11:39 AM
    An update. With respect to the problem of recognizing the micro sd, I purchased a new card with specs recommended from this site. It originally appeared to help and now I get messages addressing errors in the card. For the overheating, it seems the last update has had some benefit, but now the problem is intermittent. Sometimes it goes 40 + minutes without the message and shut down, and sometimes 5 minutes. As far as battery is concerned, I have rechecked all of the settings and shut down as much back grounds apps a was reasonable and it is a poor performance, especially when I have moderate activity with Whatsapp.

I am still considering returning it but does anyone think Microsoft will agree there is a defect and provide a replacement?
    06-25-2016 09:48 AM
    Update:
    ATT sent a 2nd replacement and new battery. I was told this was a new phone not a refurb, but it came in the same packaging as refurbs, so I can only assume it's not off the line new. Anyway, no issues with it at all, which fairly confirms that my problem was with the battery all along.
    Got it set up, took off for the Bahamas w the wife, and on day 3 jumped into the pool w it in my swimsuit pocket... woops. It was submerged for about 20 seconds. Put it in rice for two days, opened it up, cleaned out the water residue w alcohol, more rice then the next day it started right up and worked fine until a reboot and it wouldn't get past the MS symbol.
    Typing this now on a flawlessly working insurance replacement...

Anyway, the whole episode seems to have been about the battery, which would have been the easier fix from the get go, although wouldn't have made me any smarter poolside.
    07-02-2016 09:03 AM
    As an update on my original post, the last update seems to have significantly improved the overheating issue while streaming. While the phone still appears to get excessively hot while texting it hasn't yet shut down. However, battery life is still the worst I ever had, including my original Iphones
    07-02-2016 10:14 AM
74 123