Lumia 950 problems seem to go on forever

ZPITA

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I have been a private and business windows user for many years for computer needs. Decided with the IPhone 3 that it was the best phone for my needs. In December decided it was time for a change and that a Windows phone would be the right option and the Lumia 950 appeared to fill the bill.

While I have found the size and many of the Windows features generally good i found many of the operating aspects and settings less convenient then hoped but chose to blame most of them on a combination of the transition from IPhone and not spending the time necessary to really master the features.

However, several issues remain, less then great battery life, constant overheating and shot down messages and now it will not recognize the Micro SD card, even though it is playing the music from the one installed.

This last issue began with my trying to follow the suggestions on the forum for the correction of the overheating problem. The unit reset itself, worked through the process and recovered the data (at least most of it, but that is another issue) from the backup. However, when I went through the settings to be sure all was in order, the sd card does not appear in the Storage settings, nor does it appear on my PC, even though it does show in the file folder and the music plays.

I do not yet know if the overheating problem is solved, but now it appears I have a new one. Any suggestions appreciated.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
pull out the card, put in in a pc, and format it. also, make sure your card is authentic... how? fill it up with data or run any of the various tests available online. it'll take hours, but verify you have a legit card.

J H4

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Agreed - I had a duff SD card (heavily used/old) that was so knackered it caused the phone to continuously try and read/ read-write it. This used heaps of juice.

The remedy was to put a pukka SD card in, factory reset (who knows what corrupt data the previous card contained?) and everything has been really good since.

ZPITA

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Pulling it out and reinstalling it was the first thing I tried, with no luck. I am certain the card is legit but I have not tried. To format and reinstall everything is I guess is something to try. First I will try a different card.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried just not using an SD card for a while and seeing whether using a card is the root of the issues?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It shouldn't be. But removing the SD card for a few days and seeing how things change seems to be a fairly simple way of eliminating it as a cause of your issues.

ZPITA

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I will try it, but of course it seems ridiculous that one of the features of a high end phone can not be used. Taking this a bit further, there has been much discussion of overheating, is this not a warranty issue/ Is the newer production better?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying you can't use an SD card, I'm just talking about eliminating it as a cause of your issues. If you can tell for certain that it's the SD card, then swapping to another make/class might be the solution.

All I'm suggesting is making some simple temporary changes to isolate the real issue.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
... then swapping to another make/class might be the solution.

As posted in other forum threads, older and slower SD cards not only dont cut it on WP, but actually screws up the operation of the OS ...esp if apps are installed on SD cards...

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
If the phone recognizes it format it right in the phone. I find that when I did that I had no problems. If I formatted it on a PC I had issues prop up eventually. If the phone doesn't recognize it, format on PC and when it does recognize format again in the storage area.

Also join insider and get the production preview build. It may be an insider build but it is cumulative so that it fixes anything from previous builds and shouldn't introduce any new issues. A newer one will be coming soon as well. But keep it up to date through that method. These are the ones that eventually make it to production.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, if you see ANY sort of problem with SD card, it's best to
1. Reformat on PC and try again, or
2. Replace it with another card

True for all gadgets using SD cards.

ZPITA

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I have only been using it for music. After I get my music on the phone I will first try without the card and report back. And I have kept the phone up to date.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Damn... I got my 950 on launch and since Microsoft had the brilliant idea of doing this on Black Friday, I went ahead and snatched up a 128GB Best Buy had for $40.

I've had none of these random restarts, poor battery life, camera crashes or anything.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Damn... I got my 950 on launch and since Microsoft had the brilliant idea of doing this on Black Friday, I went ahead and snatched up a 128GB Best Buy had for $40.

I've had none of these random restarts, poor battery life, camera crashes or anything.

Just picked up a 950. NICE. No issues at all.. and a HUGE improvement over the 640 I was using after I shattered my 1020's screen.

W10 .242 is running GREAT ! Should have done this sooner ! This is one hell of a nice device...

I can add this... My 640 was having issues for a period.. turned out.. yep.. you guessed it.. bad SD card :( once I replaced it .. all things were happy... .02

I'm not sure why people complain so much about this device... :( It has been great and is wicked nice.. dunno.. YMMV

ZPITA

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I am an example of why people complain. To give an update. Could not figure out how to format the Micro SD in the phone but did on PC and now it works in the phone. However, overheating problem continues. To be sure I have tried with and without the Micro SD and even with the back of the phone off and still cannot manage to watch a You Tube video more then 5 minutes when the message appears and phone shuts down. All other suggestions appreciated.

farhanmohd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Agreed!! 950 is a useless phone. I bought it and used for more than a month. Nothing worked properly. NOT even the CAMERA!!! BURST SHOT FAILURE! (saving error). My 950 is resting in the cupboard. I ended up buying the s7 edge as its permanent replacement.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb