05-15-2017 12:20 PM
143 12345 ...
tools
    I have never regretted any purchase of electronics more.
    My last post was to vitrol for the moderators here and I do believe the correct thing to do was remove it.
    Let's try again.
    Way to hot simply surfing...
    Keyboard pop up issues...
    Apps that don't start...
    I just discovered while landing in Toronto to another office that auto time zone...broken.
    Battery is not very good at all.
    Accuracy of keyboard is the worst on this phone...ever.
    I have owned the 1020,640xl X 2, 550, 650. This is by far the most disappointing because of the price.
    I have been in IT for almost 20 years now.
    I have used almost every Lumia phone in the enterprise.

I believe that sadly...windows 10 and edge are a disaster that has had more than enough time to get fixed.

Its one thing to not have any decent daily apps. Its another thing when what small options this ecosystem provides runs poorly at best.
    I would hope that MS fixes this but my money is MS continuing the train wreck for some time to come.
    I can't believe how much battery I have burned just typing this...it must have been all the spell checking as this keyboard with edge is awful on a good day.
    I would like to think the mods here would not remove this post.
    The message is a reality...the messenger is not a literary major.
    Thanks and good luck folks. I am heading to the mall in the morning and it will not be a Windows phone.
    curseoftheninja and CraigCole like this.
    06-17-2016 01:03 AM
    I'm actually selling my Lumia 735 now. I'd have had the 950 if it was available for Verizon so I consider this a good miss. I'll take a look at the Surface Phone when it comes out next year, but I'm done with Windows for a while.

I agree on the whole Edge browser thing. How is it that the company that practically INVENTED web browsers consistently makes the worst ones?? The only mobile browser I dislike more than Edge is the old BlackBerry browser before BB10.
    Seymour Butzz likes this.
    06-17-2016 04:32 PM
    I have never regretted any purchase of electronics more.
    My last post was to vitrol for the moderators here and I do believe the correct thing to do was remove it.
    Let's try again.
    Way to hot simply surfing...
    Keyboard pop up issues...
    Apps that don't start...
    I just discovered while landing in Toronto to another office that auto time zone...broken.
    Battery is not very good at all.
    Accuracy of keyboard is the worst on this phone...ever.
    I have owned the 1020,640xl X 2, 550, 650. This is by far the most disappointing because of the price.
    I have been in IT for almost 20 years now.
    I have used almost every Lumia phone in the enterprise.

I believe that sadly...windows 10 and edge are a disaster that has had more than enough time to get fixed.

Its one thing to not have any decent daily apps. Its another thing when what small options this ecosystem provides runs poorly at best.
    I would hope that MS fixes this but my money is MS continuing the train wreck for some time to come.
    I can't believe how much battery I have burned just typing this...it must have been all the spell checking as this keyboard with edge is awful on a good day.
    I would like to think the mods here would not remove this post.
    The message is a reality...the messenger is not a literary major.
    Thanks and good luck folks. I am heading to the mall in the morning and it will not be a Windows phone.
    Keyboard accuracy is one thing I haven't heard anyone else mention before, but it's taken a big step backwards compared to my old 1020. I thought I was too clumsy at first but the keyboard honestly seems to miss a ton of keystrokes. Also, swipe is dramatically less accurate than on WP 8.1, usually suggesting the wrong words. Sigh, at least battery life seems to have gotten better with the latest update.
    06-21-2016 11:23 AM
    I bought my 950 because my 1020 was broken and couldn't be repaired...

The 950 feels like a beta-testing phone for me... Especially when looking to the camera app which has been the main reason for me to buy the 950...

I really like the Windows 10 GUI and I do like the quality of the camera: especially because of the high dynamic range of photos which are often even better than HDR photos of other phonecameras... But there are so many bugs, mostly software issues, that it has a lot of flaws which never existed on my 1020...

The only benefit of the camera is the more crysp and punch photos by daylight... Although the sensor is very sensitive in low-light conditions (which is a great thing for taking great pictures), the postprocessing often leads to unacceptable results...

A major issue I experience since two months now is that sometimes 1920x1080x60 FPS video randomly messes up now and then... No problem when recording but when I look to the recorded video afterwards, it has resulted in a completely unusable video: it's flickering and the image is shaking like the video has been split up in two the same videos with a difference in timepostion, which are merged frame-to-frame...
    Completely unacceptable to lose video footage that way... There isn't a way to solve this afterwards... Hopefully an update will solve this issue...

So back to the main question: Do I regret my 950?
    Hard to say... Especially the camera bugs drive me crazy now and then... It's often fighting the machine and sometimes the bugs are unacceptable...
    But every time I watch the photos shot by my 950, I am very pleased by the results...
    Last edited by TheThundax; 06-21-2016 at 03:10 PM.
    06-21-2016 02:38 PM
    Keyboard accuracy is one thing I haven't heard anyone else mention before, but it's taken a big step backwards compared to my old 1020. I thought I was too clumsy at first but the keyboard honestly seems to miss a ton of keystrokes. Also, swipe is dramatically less accurate than on WP 8.1, usually suggesting the wrong words.
    Yes, the swipe functionality on the 950 has its own will...
    While I am sure I swiped the right letters from one to one (which can be visually checked by the line of my swiping), the phone often makes a decision to choose another word which starts with another letter for example... When trying this multiple times by being very accurate, the phone still chooses the wrong word... I do like the prediction feature on top of the keyboard though: I usually can choose the right word there, but it shouldn't happen...
    I hate this kind of unwanted intelligence/bugs which leads to errors...
    CraigCole likes this.
    06-21-2016 02:42 PM
    Keyboard accuracy is one thing I haven't heard anyone else mention before, but it's taken a big step backwards compared to my old 1020
    I felt the same way with the keyboard.

The 950 feels like a beta-testing phone for me...
    It is so unfortunate Nokia made this commercial...

TheThundax and CARL FROST like this.
    06-21-2016 02:50 PM
    I brought one at launch in India... very happy with the device.. One of the best of windows mobile.. Thou the latest scheme with free Lumia 950 with purchase of xl...is wow...thou Redstone initial. Had lot of bugs Soo iam at production ring...lumia 950 is running great...
    06-22-2016 07:13 AM
    I've just jumped in and got one now the price is down to 300. I must say I prefer it to the XL version which I've had for a few months now. I've added the obligatory Mozo back and must say its a very solid feeling device now. I have no issues with the keyboard and running the latest Redstone build i am a happy camper. I have owned almost every Lumia so have plenty of reference points at this stage. Microsoft 2 big mistakes with this and it's sibling...realeasing while W10 was an utter mess and going with some rather cheap feeling poly backs. A bit of aluminium around the edge and the software as it is now and they could have saved these handsets the absolute mauling they got from many. Personally, I love the 950 and no regrets here.
    06-22-2016 07:20 AM
    I'm beginning to. For example I am unable to add other flagship browsers like Chrome, IE, or Firefox. Now my Gmail account won't work in Outlook because the Edge browser is no longer supported. I feel like I'm in the crossfire between major tech armies.
    xandros9 likes this.
    08-03-2016 09:45 AM
    08-03-2016 03:58 PM
    I'm beginning to. For example I am unable to add other flagship browsers like Chrome, IE, or Firefox. Now my Gmail account won't work in Outlook because the Edge browser is no longer supported. I feel like I'm in the crossfire between major tech armies.
    Why doesn't Gmail work in Outlook? Did Google pull another stunt recently?
    08-03-2016 04:10 PM
    I answered this previously, but my answer is shifting more towards the "Yes" checkbox. In less than 3 months I can trade this phone in for a new one, and I feel like this one never really got its running legs. I imagine if I wait it will continue to improve as the OS and apps are updated, but there was no reason to pay release day price for this device.
    08-03-2016 05:09 PM
    I don't use mine as a daily drive rust to mess around and see what's new. I don't think it will ever become my daily phone. Just too many apps missing but could get by with it if wells gets on board with ms wallet. I'll keep it updated to see if anything changes.
    08-03-2016 09:26 PM
    I regret buying mine release day, as I feel it is only just now where I want it to be, on the Insider Program. I think it is a pretty solid device now, though I do have some screen burn.
    What do you mean by screen burn? I've noticed some 'artifacts' when switching to a new screen. Wasn't sure if it was a software thing or a screen issue.
    08-04-2016 07:43 AM
    My only regret in buying the 950 was getting an ATT branded 950... Should have waited for a better deal on an unbranded version... Still waiting for the latest firmware update :(
    08-04-2016 08:52 AM
    Thats too much to expect
    08-04-2016 08:57 AM
    I've had mine for a couple of days as a warranty replacement for my 830. It's working fine with the latest ATT upgrades for WM10. The one noticeable issue I have is the feel of the phone in my hand. Terrible. Hard to pick up and hard to hold. Haven't gotten a case yet. Usually I reluctantly put on a case for protection, this 950 needs a case for me to even pick it up and hold it.
    08-04-2016 01:26 PM
    I have regretted it at times but with the improvements made in recent builds of the OS this phone is working very well now. I originally purchased the Note 5 but took it back after about 10 days and decided to wait for the Lumia 950 for another month. I can safely say now that I don't regret the decision.
    08-08-2016 09:06 PM
    It's true that the lumia 950 single sim has fm radio and the dual sim version does not ?
    08-09-2016 08:03 AM
    Actually, the opposite. Paid $300 for mine and have to say it was a great investment. Certainly getting my money's worth. Can't say that about some other phones I've owned.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-09-2016 06:12 PM
    No. Got mine late April and have had only a few issues that have since been corrected. Far nicer phone than the 830 and the firmware fixed issues I had with the camera autofocus.
    08-09-2016 11:05 PM
    I can't believe I'm saying this but I do regret it. I owned a windows phone in 8.0 to 8.1 transition. We had to be very patient those days. 8.1 was such a stability improvement. But the phone I had was kinda slow, so I wanted to switch to a flagship kinda phone. Big mistake. It feels like 8.0 again. Nothing is stable. First month I had the phone it restarted itself during a phone call! It still restarts itself from time to time. What if I have to call 911 or something?? 6 months later, still restarts itself. along with other problems. Unbelievable.
    Why didn't you return it?
    08-10-2016 12:36 AM
    No not at all. I usually make sensible decisions.
    08-10-2016 03:27 AM
    well yes because i did it on AT&T next and Microsoft dropped the price on it so quick, and I'm still paying on the Entry price. I called aT&T but they would only give me a $100 credit, can't complain to loudly about them thou they didnt have to do anything
    08-10-2016 11:12 AM
    CABLES: Advise you to buy a few "official" USB-C cables (car, home-computer, home-bedside, work). Over the years we've all accumulated a few USB cables and have them where we need them. You'll need to stock up on USB-C cables.
    Yeah, micro USB to USB-C adapters are almost the same price, so I just got a pack new cables to make sure they handle the quick charging.

I don't regret getting this phone at all. I was holding off getting a new one, to see how the market played out, to see if the OEMs would really support it like HP and Acer are doing. My 1020 died on me however, so I needed a new phone right away. I went to MS store, bought it full price (argh), but still liked it. That was two weeks ago. When they announced the $150 price drop and free dock, I was able to go back and get those, which made me much happier.

There are certainly a lot of bugs, poor interface decisions, and missing features. Seriously, the alarm clock app doesn't have volume control. wtf?!? But overall I love the phone. I do plan on letting my 4 year old laptop die off and just use Continuum; Once Edge on W10M gets extensions, Adblock & Ghostery should make browsing enjoyable.

MS really needs to put some more effort into fixing W10M soon; It needs to be better before hardware sales really move.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-10-2016 11:20 AM
143 12345 ...