Do you regret getting a 950?

Dexter_Morgan9

May 8, 2016
Visit site
I managed to a scoop up a 950 on eBay for $270, and am very excited to receive it on Wednesday. I just joined these forums today, and have noticed that as I scroll through the 950 section, I see a LOT of bugs.

Do you guys regret buying one? I want the horsepower of a modern flagship on Windows 10 (my 1520 gets sluggish now), and it's got the camera that matches the s7 blow for blow. It seems like the perfect device for me, yet I am a bit concerned now with seeing all the issues being reported.

Comments, please! It's nice to be here and still a part of the Windows family!

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
considering my 920 has a shattered screen that has cut me a few times, and my 830 felt under powered, i don't regret my 950 purchase.

now, i would like the battery life my 920 and 830 had (all day with email and social media apps running in the background) but do have a qi charger at my desk at work, and keep a usb-c cable in the car for charging on the road, so it's rare for me to run the phone dead (but it has happened 2-3 times)

but even with that, i love everything else about it.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I regret buying mine release day, as I feel it is only just now where I want it to be, on the Insider Program. I think it is a pretty solid device now, though I do have some screen burn.

Dexter_Morgan9

May 8, 2016
Visit site
I really do like the 1520, it's just so big, and I'm ready to get a smaller phone. That's my biggest reason to get a 950, it's the perfect size for me.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I enjoy the lack of the Ghost Touch on my 950 XL but the 1520 is still a great phone.

Not to hijack this thread, but I kind of liked the ghost touch issue. I never really had it do anything bad (like open apps or click links), and I learned how to hover my finger just off the screen and scroll pages without touching it. I assume it was somehow sensing some static from my finger tips.

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
So far the heat doesn't seem to hurt anything, but it does get hot. Well, I actually have the 950xl. I haven't heard of my wife's 950 getting hot. At least not as hot as mine.

My battery life seems ok, but it probably depends on what you do.

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Some people have trouble with the back being ever so loose and creaking, but my 950xl has not had that problem. There are some solutions for the creaking if it bothers you.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Didn't buy mine, won it from this very website, but I was all set to buy one before I did win it.

Very happy with it so far. I'm on Insider Slow, haven't had any of the issues I've seen reported. It's faster and smoother than the 925 it replaced, much more responsive screen and having the new features like SD card slot, OTG and Continuum are useful for me as well.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Not to hijack this thread, but I kind of liked the ghost touch issue. I never really had it do anything bad (like open apps or click links), and I learned how to hover my finger just off the screen and scroll pages without touching it. I assume it was somehow sensing some static from my finger tips.
Yeah.. just wait until it randomly dials people for you without your intervention. ;)

Z80_Man

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Sometimes I think I should not have feared the larger size of the XL. I would have had a working FM radio, a faster processor and possibly a better battery autonomy (and probably less heat).

Otherwise, the size feels just right. That's the reason why I selected the 950 rather than the 950XL.

But not regretting anything besides this. ^^

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the most important thing to do if you want to steer clear from any bugs is to start afresh and do not restore from backup. You will enjoy your new Lumia 950!

Dexter_Morgan9

May 8, 2016
Visit site
So I'm seeing heat ( the main reason I stayed away from the XL- every android I used with the 810 became a heater), and bugs (Insider Slow is what I'm on, no worries), and battery life. I ordered some replacement backs and a wall charger with an extra battery, since the price of the 950 was so low (only $260
On eBay), so hopefully everything is covered.

cheesemoo

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I went to the 950 from a 1520. I wanted the 950XL but since I get my phone from work, it had to come from ATT. So that locked me into the 950. At first I did regret it. Smaller than my 1520 (which isn't the fault of the phone, just my preference) I had huge battery drain issues. I had to charge it at least four times a day. Also, the phone would get so hot, not even doing anything. Just sitting in my pocket then I would feel a burning in my pocket. Hot enough that I had to take the phone out. Everything was crazy sluggish. The keyboard lagged the worst. It was always about two characters behind my typing. Missing Double Tap to wake is crazy.... why would they leave that out? I could not recommend the 950 to anyone.

So after messing around with it for awhile, I finally did a complete factory reset. WOW!!!! completely different phone. I only have to recharge it maybe twice a day, the lag is gone on the keyboard, it doesn't almost melt now, (although it does still get warm) I suggest doing a factory reset on the thing before you get to much stuff on it. I can now recommend this phone, although the 1520 is still a better phone to me. If it didn't stop recognizing my SIM card I would still use it. The only thing I would miss from the 950 is continuum as I use it for work and it is FREAKING AWESOME!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss