Do you regret getting a 950?

amcluesent

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Not at all.

My employer has been testing phones and I was allocated a Galaxy A3, Moto G and Blackberry Leap to try. They all fell well short of the 950. In fact the UI on the Moto G was unusable IMHO.

• I find the 950 perfectly stable on the production branch.
  • Photo quality is more than good enough, I hardly ever take my Pentax Q Compact with me now.
  • All the apps I actually want are available
  • The integration with Windows 10 desktop and Xbox is ideal for me

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is on the leading edge of PC to micro device transformation. And this work needs to continue.

I think Microsoft is trying to innovate for sure, but I don't see how they are on the leading edge of a mobile PC (at least with their current products). Unless I am wrong, they currently use the same processors, screens, etc to deliver a similar experience to their competitors in mobile and are the last one to support keyboard input. In real world use the iPhone is still the most powerful phone available with the most apps (including business related apps) with an excellent history of security. I do not own and have never used an iPhone, but it is more like propaganda to call it a toy. While there may be a couple tasks that are easier on Windows Phone (reading texts and continuum), there are many more tasks that are impossible on Windows Phone because of the lack of apps.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
In short, YES, every single day. I got a 950 when it first came out and it was easily the worst electronic device I ever owned. Apps (including native MS ones) constantly crashed, the phone would randomly restart several times a day, performance was oftentimes sluggish, it got hot for no reason, battery life was atrocious, and on and on. I still cannot believe they released such an incomplete, half-baked piece of junk. It was horrifying.

Now, all of that being said, the device is dramatically better after various firmware and software updates, but still, it's not particularly good. Battery life with the thing sitting in my pocket is worse than when my buddy is USING his two-year-old iPhone 6, performance/snappiness is still lackluster, it often feels warm to the touch for no apparent reason, Windows Hello is spotty at best and now Cortana is basically useless, crashing all the time. I love the screen, its camera is great and it's thin and light, but honestly, I would never get another one of these things. After several WP 7 and 8 devices I think I'm done.

Hoku001

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I regret getting this phone. The interesting thing is that this is hands down the WORST phone I've ever owned. I've had so many problems (I posted a big list in another thread about 950 problems) and they just don't go away. I did a factory reset this weekend to see if it would clear up some of the issues, it hasn't. Because I use this phone for business, I have to replace it. I can't keep missing phone calls because the phone drops connection to AT&T. I'm actually shopping around for new phones right now and I'm afraid I'll be going Android now. I really love Windows Phone, or I used to, but to quote many a politician, I see no path forward on this platform.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I have no regrets buying this phone.
The 950 on 14361 is working flawless for me.

I came from VZW and the Icon.
950 is a great upgrade.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Not at all. I did a lot of reading before I purchased it, didn't pay full price, and realize it is a work in progress. Overall it performs very well. I get decent battery life and the things I use most: email, social media, camera work exceptionally well. Are there flaws? Of course, all phones have them, but I find the 950 to be a very good device.

Seymour Butzz

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I have never regretted any purchase of electronics more.
My last post was to vitrol for the moderators here and I do believe the correct thing to do was remove it.
Let's try again.
Way to hot simply surfing...
Keyboard pop up issues...
Apps that don't start...
I just discovered while landing in Toronto to another office that auto time zone...broken.
Battery is not very good at all.
Accuracy of keyboard is the worst on this phone...ever.
I have owned the 1020,640xl X 2, 550, 650. This is by far the most disappointing because of the price.
I have been in IT for almost 20 years now.
I have used almost every Lumia phone in the enterprise.

I believe that sadly...windows 10 and edge are a disaster that has had more than enough time to get fixed.

Its one thing to not have any decent daily apps. Its another thing when what small options this ecosystem provides runs poorly at best.
I would hope that MS fixes this but my money is MS continuing the train wreck for some time to come.
I can't believe how much battery I have burned just typing this...it must have been all the spell checking as this keyboard with edge is awful on a good day.
I would like to think the mods here would not remove this post.
The message is a reality...the messenger is not a literary major.
Thanks and good luck folks. I am heading to the mall in the morning and it will not be a Windows phone.

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I'm actually selling my Lumia 735 now. I'd have had the 950 if it was available for Verizon so I consider this a good miss. I'll take a look at the Surface Phone when it comes out next year, but I'm done with Windows for a while.

I agree on the whole Edge browser thing. How is it that the company that practically INVENTED web browsers consistently makes the worst ones?? The only mobile browser I dislike more than Edge is the old BlackBerry browser before BB10.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I have never regretted any purchase of electronics more.
My last post was to vitrol for the moderators here and I do believe the correct thing to do was remove it.
Let's try again.
Way to hot simply surfing...
Keyboard pop up issues...
Apps that don't start...
I just discovered while landing in Toronto to another office that auto time zone...broken.
Battery is not very good at all.
Accuracy of keyboard is the worst on this phone...ever.
I have owned the 1020,640xl X 2, 550, 650. This is by far the most disappointing because of the price.
I have been in IT for almost 20 years now.
I have used almost every Lumia phone in the enterprise.

I believe that sadly...windows 10 and edge are a disaster that has had more than enough time to get fixed.

Its one thing to not have any decent daily apps. Its another thing when what small options this ecosystem provides runs poorly at best.
I would hope that MS fixes this but my money is MS continuing the train wreck for some time to come.
I can't believe how much battery I have burned just typing this...it must have been all the spell checking as this keyboard with edge is awful on a good day.
I would like to think the mods here would not remove this post.
The message is a reality...the messenger is not a literary major.
Thanks and good luck folks. I am heading to the mall in the morning and it will not be a Windows phone.

Keyboard accuracy is one thing I haven't heard anyone else mention before, but it's taken a big step backwards compared to my old 1020. I thought I was too clumsy at first but the keyboard honestly seems to miss a ton of keystrokes. Also, swipe is dramatically less accurate than on WP 8.1, usually suggesting the wrong words. Sigh, at least battery life seems to have gotten better with the latest update.

TheThundax

May 21, 2016
Visit site
I bought my 950 because my 1020 was broken and couldn't be repaired...

The 950 feels like a beta-testing phone for me... Especially when looking to the camera app which has been the main reason for me to buy the 950...

I really like the Windows 10 GUI and I do like the quality of the camera: especially because of the high dynamic range of photos which are often even better than HDR photos of other phonecameras... But there are so many bugs, mostly software issues, that it has a lot of flaws which never existed on my 1020...

The only benefit of the camera is the more crysp and punch photos by daylight... Although the sensor is very sensitive in low-light conditions (which is a great thing for taking great pictures), the postprocessing often leads to unacceptable results...

A major issue I experience since two months now is that sometimes 1920x1080x60 FPS video randomly messes up now and then... No problem when recording but when I look to the recorded video afterwards, it has resulted in a completely unusable video: it's flickering and the image is shaking like the video has been split up in two the same videos with a difference in timepostion, which are merged frame-to-frame...
Completely unacceptable to lose video footage that way... There isn't a way to solve this afterwards... Hopefully an update will solve this issue...

So back to the main question: Do I regret my 950?
Hard to say... Especially the camera bugs drive me crazy now and then... It's often fighting the machine and sometimes the bugs are unacceptable...
But every time I watch the photos shot by my 950, I am very pleased by the results...

Last edited:

TheThundax

May 21, 2016
Visit site
Keyboard accuracy is one thing I haven't heard anyone else mention before, but it's taken a big step backwards compared to my old 1020. I thought I was too clumsy at first but the keyboard honestly seems to miss a ton of keystrokes. Also, swipe is dramatically less accurate than on WP 8.1, usually suggesting the wrong words.

Yes, the swipe functionality on the 950 has its own will...
While I am sure I swiped the right letters from one to one (which can be visually checked by the line of my swiping), the phone often makes a decision to choose another word which starts with another letter for example... When trying this multiple times by being very accurate, the phone still chooses the wrong word... I do like the prediction feature on top of the keyboard though: I usually can choose the right word there, but it shouldn't happen...
I hate this kind of unwanted intelligence/bugs which leads to errors...

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I brought one at launch in India... very happy with the device.. One of the best of windows mobile.. Thou the latest scheme with free Lumia 950 with purchase of xl...is wow...thou Redstone initial. Had lot of bugs Soo iam at production ring...lumia 950 is running great...

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I've just jumped in and got one now the price is down to ?300. I must say I prefer it to the XL version which I've had for a few months now. I've added the obligatory Mozo back and must say its a very solid feeling device now. I have no issues with the keyboard and running the latest Redstone build i am a happy camper. I have owned almost every Lumia so have plenty of reference points at this stage. Microsoft 2 big mistakes with this and it's sibling...realeasing while W10 was an utter mess and going with some rather cheap feeling poly backs. A bit of aluminium around the edge and the software as it is now and they could have saved these handsets the absolute mauling they got from many. Personally, I love the 950 and no regrets here.

CARL FROST

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm beginning to. For example I am unable to add other flagship browsers like Chrome, IE, or Firefox. Now my Gmail account won't work in Outlook because the Edge browser is no longer supported. I feel like I'm in the crossfire between major tech armies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos