Do you regret getting a 950?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
How long is everyone getting on a single charge. I have the AT&T 950 - so it's still lacking Anniversary and the latest firmware. It drains about 6% per hour checking it for periodic emails and a few texts. If it's on at 8 a.m. - by 11 p.m. it's at about 20% left.
Is that similar to others' experience. How does this compare with iOS or Android phones?

I have a similar experience. I get a day and maybe 2 hours if I let it drop all the way to 15-20%. My SE has way better battery life, it takes a lot to run down the whole battery in one day. To go from charging every other day to every day, like clockwork, I wasn't a fan of.

I don't regret trying it though, not at all.

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I really like my 950. Just curious what kind of battery life others are experiencing. I used to have an iPhone and had to charge that everyday, too, so it's fine.

blackburberry

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I really like my 950. Just curious what kind of battery life others are experiencing. I used to have an iPhone and had to charge that everyday, too, so it's fine.

Speaking only for myself, the battery life is really good on my DS950 unlocked from Microsoft. Easily lasting my entire workday with moderate usage on encrypted exchange email, texts, music and browsing. The anniversary update has among other things really cleaned up the interface and improved battery life so it's even better than before.

This device and the interface is really growing on me.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by blackburberry
Originally Posted by stocktiki

Speaking only for myself, the battery life is really good on my DS950 unlocked from Microsoft. Easily lasting my entire workday with moderate usage on encrypted exchange email, texts, music and browsing. The anniversary update has among other things really cleaned up the interface and improved battery life so it's even better than before.

This device and the interface is really growing on me.

Do you have the new firmware? I'm on the ATT 950 which means that I don't have it yet. Battery life is not very good at all and I'm hoping that this will improve greatly with the new firmware (when I eventually get it).

mrweerez

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
My att 950 generally gets me all day moderate to heavy use (calls, texts, e-mails, bluetooth pair to band 2, and a little browsing/video during lunch. By the time I get home and go to bed it is ready to charge (down to 10%). In my opinion if a phone is able to get you through an entire day with moderate to heavy use then it is serving its purpose. Anything extra is gravy, but the battery life is definitely satisfactory. If the anniversary update improves upon this further then I'll be very pleased.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
My att 950 generally gets me all day moderate to heavy use (calls, texts, e-mails, bluetooth pair to band 2, and a little browsing/video during lunch. By the time I get home and go to bed it is ready to charge (down to 10%). In my opinion if a phone is able to get you through an entire day with moderate to heavy use then it is serving its purpose. Anything extra is gravy, but the battery life is definitely satisfactory. If the anniversary update improves upon this further then I'll be very pleased.

That's a great point. I am just spoiled by my SE so it's hard to settle for less. The battery life of the 950 is decent. It's better than a lot of Android phones I have tried.
Also once upon a time, my windows phone used to give me the same a day and some of battery life.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
My ATT 950 on 14393.82 gets uncomfortably warm after ten minutes of use. My 640 on the same build can do the same type of stuff for more than an hour and not warm up perceivably at all. Does everyone else have the same issue?

I did a hard reset with no restore when I updated my 950.

mrweerez

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
If you don't see a change after installing the anniversary update coming up here soon then I would chalk it up to a possible hardware issue, in which case I would make use of your 1 year manufacturers warranty with MS before it is up. I had the same issue with my phone shortly after I first bought it but the problem went away after subsequent builds were released.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm still in the fourteen day return window. If I don't see some improvement in the next week I'll probably return it and wait to see what comes next.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm still in the fourteen day return window. If I don't see some improvement in the next week I'll probably return it and wait to see what comes next.

Yeah I would exchange it. Mine gets a little warm during heavy use (most modern smartphones do) but certainly not uncomfortable. How is battery life?

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site

It's a shame that ATT phones haven't gotten the latest firmware update. Mine used to overheat with basic usage, but after the latest firmware it runs like a champ.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
With intermittent use my phone will go a full day. The problem is that by the following morning it will only last another couple of hours. I also continue to experience inexplicable battery drain. It's not as bad as the 920, but it does happen. To be fair, battery life seems no worse that what friends experience with Android phones and iPhones.

Beyond that, I do regret buying this phone and my frustration has only grown. Starting with an update a few months back my phone I've been occasionally finding my phone disconnected from the network. Sometimes switching it in and out of airplane mode fixes that problem, other times I need to restart the phone.

That's just one of several problems I continue to have. It's ridiculous that even core functionality is unreliable. It's disappointing to me because I really liked my 920 and WP8. However, at this point I'm just biding my time until the iPhone 7 is released. I want Windows mobile to succeed but I'm tired of dealing with this crap.

maxmin

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I recently upgraded from my 640 to a 950. The battery life of the 950 is pretty good so far. I can get through a day usually. But FYI the 640 with W10M AU had phenomenal battery life. I could go 24 hours easy and still have 10-20% left. However I am playing with the 950 more since it is new. Perhaps when I get to "normal" usage the 950 battery life will improve some more.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I have no problem getting the through the day with moderate use on my 950. Of course, there are lots of variables to consider such as signal strength, screen brightness, background apps, etc. which makes it difficult to compare.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I miss the buttons, I hate having to swipe up from the bottom and the qi wireless charging is unreliable compared to my past lumias. My only 2 gripes about the phone.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I recently upgraded from my 640 to a 950. The battery life of the 950 is pretty good so far. I can get through a day usually. But FYI the 640 with W10M AU had phenomenal battery life. I could go 24 hours easy and still have 10-20% left. However I am playing with the 950 more since it is new. Perhaps when I get to "normal" usage the 950 battery life will improve some more.

So, does your 950 have the AU or are you still on Threshold?

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
It's a shame that ATT phones haven't gotten the latest firmware update. Mine used to overheat with basic usage, but after the latest firmware it runs like a champ.
So, are you saying that you had issues similar to mine before the new firmware and now you don't? Are you running the AU? I can live with the heat and poor battery life for a while as long as I know that everything will run great once I get the new firmware. If there's any chance that my issues won't be fixed with the new firmware, then I don't think that I want to wait to find out.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I regretted the 950XL terribly. Horribly designed device. I returned it for store credit and bought 640XL for 1/5 the price.

And the 640XL is such a better device. No overheating and the battery lasts a 36 hours compared to 950XL's 5 hours.

Very happy with 640XL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos