Do you regret getting a 950?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm still very curious to know why the AU hasn't been released yet for the ATT 950. I thought they had slated the 16th.
Carrier locked devices have a delay. Only factory unlocked devices got the update that day.

I regretted the 950XL terribly. Horribly designed device. I returned it for store credit and bought 640XL for 1/5 the price.

And the 640XL is such a better device. No overheating and the battery lasts a 36 hours compared to 950XL's 5 hours.

Very happy with 640XL.
Wow!

This makes me want to try my 640 again as a DD for a bit. I just might, the 950 battery life disappointed me.

Jonathanmr7

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah same here! i have a 720, next a att 640 unlocket and love it(most time the battery) maybe 3 months ago i buy the 950 on a offer and men i love this device but the battery life and sometimes the speed, the thing overheating for almost everything its makes me crazy! with the AU update with no hard reset its more fine but i think im gonna sell this baby and back to my 640...

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded from a 930 and I love both phones. I've had no problems at all, other than the 950 does get quite warm when playing Megapolis, which also hammers the battery. Other than that battery life seems OK but I do leave it on a wireless charger when on my desk, which is probably most of the time, and charge it overnight with a dock I bought for a couple of quid on ebay.

Nothing else to report until now, text size issues on the Edge browser after the latest update which I'm currently scouring the forum looking for an answer to.

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Just got the AT&T locked version for $300 last week to replace my 1020 (no problems, just getting old and holding less charge). No regrets. I am on Insider Production Preview ring, so the second AU build. I did a factory reset and fresh install after my backup/restore stuck me on the app list (seriously, no Start menu!).

The camera doesn't measure up to the 1020 on long distance shots, but it is about 10 times faster, and still (barely) outclasses other flagships like my wife's iPhone 6s. So it's great for family photos, less so for "art" photos.

The back cover does feel cheap compared to Nokia's classics, but I've got it in a clear TPU case, so whatever. I'll take replaceable battery and expandable SD memory any day over a thicker back cover. The hardware runs rather warm during heavy use but cool during light use. I easily get a day's battery life, though (I'm at 77% right now after 20.5 hours of uptime, this has been a relatively light weekend day, though). The display is beautiful, and the overall aesthetics of the phone are very nice (I can't believe I used to hate the camera ring).

I'm not all that into the latest apps, so I'm satisfied with MS native apps (the excellent MSN News, Sports, Weather, Office) and what MS has in the store (Facebook +Messenger, Fitbit, Nest thermostat manager, Flipboard, NextGen Reader, MetroTube). Edge makes up for most other gaps and is a definite upgrade over WP8.1's version of IE.

Overall, very satisfying to this WP fan (900, 1020, 950), especially at the reduced price. I'm very glad I waited, though, as earlier W10M builds were not good enough (I have a 640 as a testbed/music player, so I'm quite familiar with W10M's progress) and the initial price was too high. I get why a non WP-fan wouldn't switch, but for me, it's a nice move from my 1020.

Last edited:

ninwiito

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I do. My phone is barely even 4 months year old and I am having a butt load of problems with it.
Over heating, battery issue to the random reboots. I regret upgrading from the 920 but the camera is nice.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
So far my 950 has been pretty good. Design wise, the speaker is in the wrong place (should be on front or bottom), and the phone itself is flimsy - it can get a slight twist in it, and I can twist it back. :-O
Otherwise though battery has been great, W10M has been good, and the camera is geat. not as igh res as my old 1020 of course, but the speed is much more important while trying to get pictures of my kid. :)

Naterade123

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
So, a bit a pretext. I have been a DIE HARD Windows/Xbox fan for years and years. I have 2 Xbox Ones, a Surface Pro4, MSFT Band 1 and 2. I've owned just about every Microsoft device that has ever come out (Even Zunes). I've owned "Windows Phones" since the days of Windows Mobile. I liked the 950 when it came out and I purchased at launch (aside for the somewhat 'cheap' hardware, somewhat remedied by a Mozo leather case). Needless to say, I wholeheartedly regret my purchase. I am on my second 950 (Dual SIM unlocked) as the phone is so fragile it shattered after one drop. Now, after however many months since launch, it seems the software has gotten worse and worse. Basic functions of the phone no longer work without crashing, hanging, or restarting. Simple tasks such as saving a picture from IE, and sending it to a group chat, are so unnecessarily complicated it's infuriating. I can't look at ANY photos I've taken past 2 months (Stored locally on built in storage) without crashing. I can't play downloaded or streaming music from Groove without it randomly stopping my music, hanging for 5 minutes, play another 30 seconds, and rinse and repeat. Integration from basic Microsoft services have vanished. No longer can you click the search button, click the music icon, tag a song, and download it with your music pass with a simple click. Now you have to start voice activation with Cortana, wait a second to tap the music icon when it comes up, then click the link which takes you to the store where it wants you to purchase that song, instead of playing with your music pass. Then you have to go to Groove and manually type in what song it was. So frustrating. You also used to be able to open MusixMatch app and it would auto display lyrics of whatever song you're playing, of course app development has been all but non-existent and that feature is gone. Needless to say... after using my Galaxy Note 7 (Which unfortunately I have to trade for a Pixel XL) as my work phone, and seeing how seamless and integrated Google is now (The Way MSFT USED to be), I'm 98% sure I'm giving up on Windows 10 Mobile and Microsoft services all together, and switching everything over to Google. I am holding out to see what a "Surface Phone" might have in store and will make my final decision then....

TLDR; Windows 10 Mobile sucks donkeynuts and makes basic functions a headache - so I regret my purchase.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I just went to the Microsoft store and purchased a 950. I figured I would get one now while I still can and the dock was thrown in for free.

I had a 950 when they came out last year, bit it took a lot of updates for that phone to get to a more stable user experience.

This and my 650 will take me through a few years hopefully. Will just have to wait until next year I suppose until we see where this OS will be then and what other makers will be offering devices for the OS.

Doing all my updates mow and waiting on the latest build release to download. So far it's a much better experience than the first time around .

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
For almost 2 week past, I've been using an Android while my 950 was in for repair. I'm telling you now, I'm glad to be back! Android are crap and I'm glad to be back.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't care for Android either. Have had a few devices running that OS to see if the grass was greener on the other side and for me it was not.
Regardless of how many apps ios/droid has. Windows to me is the superior operating system.

Kind of like being home where you know where everything is .

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't care for Android either. Have had a few devices running that OS to see if the grass was greener on the other side and for me it was not.
Regardless of how many apps ios/droid has. Windows to me is the superior operating system.

Kind of like being home where you know where everything is .

That's my tthinking exactly. The people who bang on about the 'app gap' don't know what they're talking about in my opinion. I played with an iPhone 7 today and it was the same old junk as the one before and before that and so on. I've said on other posts that I will be leaving Windows after the 950, but I'm not sure to be honest as Windows is the only platform to change their OS whereas Android and iOS have had no major changes for many years.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Bought my 950 a few weeks ago, couldn't be happier. As the price dropped to around 300€ here it's totally worth the money, no lags, no overheating, 0 issues. I still have to try out Continuum though, unfortunately I was not able to buy the dock yet. Really interested to see how does that beast work.

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Living with the 950 is like being in an abusive and dysfunctional relationship.

When it works it's such a great experience but then it'll stab you in the back when you turn around and laugh at you. Like some others have mentioned above it makes the most simple tasks extremely frustrating and then it just decides to take a nap and reboot at random. I've missed photo opportunities, phone calls, and text messages because of the bugs in the OS.

I could care less about the look and feel of the phone but to put up with these bugs and the lack of support from developers is really a challenge. I love how it integrates with my desktop and also like being a member of a somewhat exclusive club but MS isn't making it easy to be a fan so I'm considering moving to Android soon. I don't necessarily regret making the purchase but it has not been smooth sailing to say the least.

freypal

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I hugely regret my purchase. I'm like Naterade123. I've been using Windows mobile in various forms (WM6, WP7, WP8 and now W10M) for years. I own a Surface RT (again thanks for that MS), XBox, XBox 360, XBox one and I'm a Zune/XBMusic/Groove (whatever) subscriber.

I was fairly happy with WP8.1 and could live with the shortcomings. I fell for the line about UWP solving everything and so got my 950. Since then i've had the following bugs;

Random Reboots - happens daily (it just did it 5 mins ago even)
Delayed Push Notifications - when using cellular data, push notifications come in 10-20mins late. This is a complete deal breaker for me. Happens on all apps.
Windows Hello Disabling - weird bug when launching the camera app, now fixed
Windows Hello Always On After Missed Call - another bug now fixed
Live Tiles Stop Updating - randomly live tiles will stop updating and i have to unpin/reboot/re-install or some combination thereof to get them working again
Groove Music Bugs - seems to be a weekly occurrence that I'll get some kind of error when trying to use it
Notifications Not Clearing - i have to manually kill the app from the task manager and re-open to clear notifications. This was originally confined to Facebook and outlook but helpfully the phone app has now started doing it
Notifications Not Appearing - linked to the above, i seem to randomly not get voicemail notifications or missed call notifications
Battery Life - It's dropped off a cliff, struggle to make it through the day with most apps disabled
Apps - this is a never improving situation. In fact it's getting worse with some developers pulling them (Amazon)
Unresponsive Screen - about 10% of the time I unlock my phone the screen doesn't respond to touch and I have to lock and unlock it
Data Connection Dropping - I had this back on WP7 and now my 950 has randomly started losing data connection. I have to flick flight mode on and off to get it back.
Contacts Un-linking - Recently contacts in the people hub have started to randomly de-link profiles

I want to love it, I really do. I've been loyal to the extreme but this is me done. It will be Android for me next time, sadly. I have no love for Google or Apple but I can't put up with these bugs and lack of support any more.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
This trip around with the 950 has been leaps and bounds better than my first try last November. The OS is much more stable now and really shows off the power this phone has.

Type texting has been working as it should so far. Type texting back then on the 950 was pretty bad. It would be several letters behind trying to type anything out.
Now it "just works". ..so far anyway lol.
My 650 is getting jealous. HA! Anyway this phone in the nearly week I have had it is great. Hey Cortana is such a cool feature. Find myself using the old gal quite often. Very convenient.

Do I regret getting a 950 ? Not this time around. Other than the battery getting red hot when I first got it. I Just updated everything and did a hard reset and now the phone isn't heating up anymore.
A little longwinded but this really is a flagship device now. Just hope it stays that way lol.

natna

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
I regret everything on this phone except for the camera. (with it's sometimes awfull oversaturated yellows)
The bugs come and go.
I'm pretty sure there have been shipments of problematic phones.
Guess what?
I've got one of these devices.
I don't care about the OS or the apps.
I wanted to believe.

Unfortunately the user's experience is way lower than a good midrange from China, like my previous Meizu M2 note. (except for the camera)
All my friends with 640/640xl have a flawless use.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I regret everything on this phone except for the camera. (with it's sometimes awfull oversaturated yellows)
The bugs come and go.
I'm pretty sure there have been shipments of problematic phones.
Guess what?
I've got one of these devices.
I don't care about the OS or the apps.
I wanted to believe.

Unfortunately the user's experience is way lower than a good midrange from China, like my previous Meizu M2 note. (except for the camera)
All my friends with 640/640xl have a flawless use.
If I felt this way I would get a different device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077