Very disappointed in the 950

les suggs

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Way too sensitive. I've had my 950 since October. It does get warm when charging, and there has been many many updates since it's release. 8 hours use is far too short to give any device a fair shake. Did you move from an iPhone? I know many people have a difficult leap from an iOS device (toys) to a real working device like a 950 or 950XL.

Maybe your expectations were not set?

Les

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Bit late to the party, but over a few days they do settle down. Some of this is due to the battery getting conditioned once it has had a few charge cycles. My e-cig batteries get VERY warm for the first couple uses. I always rotate them now and ensure that they are charged correctly using a charger that monitors Mah, and. Voltage. With more and more complex devices come more demands on batteries so the conditioning of them is quite important for longevity.

When people make such sweeping statements, they should take in to account of what apps etc they have, as we all know these can cause quick drain ergo, heat. I switch off any settings I don't need. Win Hello was the first thing I turned off, as I suspect it must be using some current when idle. Add that and glance and you have two apps running without the phone being awake

Dexter_Morgan9

May 8, 2016
Visit site
When you use iOS and android and then come back to Windows phon, you see the issues more clearly than ever. It's been three days now, no changes to battery life and the heat issues still prevail. Holding the phone is like putting your hand on a burner that just got turned on, very quickly it gets hot.

Again, I understand a lot of you guys love Windows phones, as do I, but we can't ignore shortcomings. I have never had to let a modern device "settle." Over the past year, I have used a 1520, nexus 6, nexus 6p, m8, m9, G3, g flex 2, G4, note 3, note 4, note 5, and iPhone 6s Plus, and I have never had to "let the device settle" into a rhythm. This is 2016 we are talking about, phones are more powerful than some midrange computers. That is old school thinking.

Dexter_Morgan9

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Way too sensitive. I've had my 950 since October. It does get warm when charging, and there has been many many updates since it's release. 8 hours use is far too short to give any device a fair shake. Did you move from an iPhone? I know many people have a difficult leap from an iOS device (toys) to a real working device like a 950 or 950XL.

Maybe your expectations were not set?

Les

I have a 6s plus as my main phon, there is no comparison between the two. The iPhone wins in every single category that's important to me. Apps look better, the battery is much better, wider selection of things I need, doesn't lag, doesn't freeze, many things. The 1520 is still my favorite device ever, and even that doesn't compete against the iPhone.

The one thing th lumia does better is camera. That's not a major thing for me tho, I'm no professional so photo quality doesn't matter as much.

It's hard to consider a 950 a "real working device" when I pull the notification bar down and it freezes the device. That's absolute trash from Microsoft.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to consider a 950 a "real working device" when I pull the notification bar down and it freezes the device. That's absolute trash from Microsoft.

REALLY? in the most current build? My 640XL runs win 10 without any problems and it has great battery life and no freezes. I can't image 950 being that bad. Also cuz i am getting one!

BTW i am using an iphone 6 right now, the battery life was pretty bad the first few days because i was installing so many things and things were running in the background. Once i fine tuned it, it works good, one day battery life.

Dexter_Morgan9

May 8, 2016
Visit site
REALLY? in the most current build? My 640XL runs win 10 without any problems and it has great battery life and no freezes. I can't image 950 being that bad. Also cuz i am getting one!

BTW i am using an iphone 6 right now, the battery life was pretty bad the first few days because i was installing so many things and things were running in the background. Once i fine tuned it, it works good, one day battery life.

I wouldn't make it up. This is why it was bashed in reviews. Microsoft actually shipped a device this buggy. I don't understand how a company known for software makes things this bad now. It's been years, it's time to wake up to the roses.

Dexter_Morgan9

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Not even close. I'm willing to bet that even 5 years old computers are faster than that apple thing.

I have a 6 year old Acer Windows laptop, my iPhone runs circles around it. Apple doesn't do everything right, but performance and battery life on the plus models is out of this world.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
It takes days to get any phone working optimally, and weeks to get used to it. Judging a phone and operating system in 8 hours is pointless.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It seems to have been a thing since Win 8 that when the OS is new the first few hours (up to days) of use it seems like the OS does a lot of CPU intensive "stuff". I noticed it on my SP2 and then on the SP4 when they were both new. Given that Win10M is supposed to be the same (more/less) OS regardless of device I wouldn't be at all surprised that this frustrating behavior carries over to a new phone.

I'm not saying that should be the case for any new Win device - and especially not for phones - but it also wouldn't surprise me if all the people who say "let it settle" are correct in one way or another.

bluekalo

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
actually i have a lumia 930 that has broken microphone.. i dont know if its a software or hardware prob.. i can record my voice thru onenote but on voice record it doesnt record

curseoftheninja

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't make it up. This is why it was bashed in reviews. Microsoft actually shipped a device this buggy. I don't understand how a company known for software makes things this bad now. It's been years, it's time to wake up to the roses.

This is what gets me. They basically took advantage of avid Windows Phone fans. They knew we would buy a new "flagship," so they put a piece of junk in a box.

I agree with OP. I wish I never bought a 950. I have had to factory reset it 4 times and get a replacement phone. Microsoft needs to own up to their mistake and offer WP fans something as a sign of good will. I am going to go Android (barf) on my next phone unless MS does something amazing good with the Surface Phone plus some sort of buy-back program with the 950.

farhanmohd

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Agreed!! 950 is a useless phone. I bought it and used for more than a month. Nothing worked properly. NOT even the CAMERA!!! BURST SHOT FAILURE! (saving error). My 950 is resting in the cupboard. I ended up buying the s7 edge as its permanent replacement.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

I am about to find out first hand, Mine is on the way to the doorsteps.
Will update soon.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Cuz everyone who worked at Nokia has been fired.

I do worry about this.
First impressions count a lot and I remember many people complaining that the initial Surface Book was full of bugs too. While it's great that Microsoft are launching new products fast, they need to now concentrate on the details. New Lumia owners should not have to wait to load hundreds of updates while waiting days for things to settle down. In the consumer marketplace, most people have little patience. Microsoft need to add lots more polish going forward.

Siddhartha Ray

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I have shifted to 1520 2 years ago from HTC (Android). Since then it has been a good journey. 1520 is a massive machine and 950 is just a marginal upgrade. It is still my primary phone. However, I got my hands on 950 yesterday and it is not as exciting at it is to shift to a complete new device with new OS. It is a baby version of 1520 with a higher processor, iris scanner, bigger RAM, and Continuum, which cannot be used as of now due to lack of the dock or miracast.

Yes, it heated up the first time I put it on charge at started updating. The heat was on till 1.5 hours while it was on charge. Soon once out of the charge, it cooled and since then haven't had that issue. The most amazing feature is the iris scanner, which unlocked the phone in pitch dark. The phone is handy, fast, very obscure. The camera is another thing to look out for. 4K video @ 30 fps. Photos are crispy and clean. The front camera is not that impressive without a flash.

I am in a process to move to 950 for a while. but I don't feel I would move from the 1520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss