Very disappointed in the 950

Dexter_Morgan9

May 8, 2016
Visit site
I got my 950 today, and within. 8 hours of receiving it I have decided to return it. There are just too many issues that a modern device should not have:

Lag. Apps lag, the keyboard lags, everything lags.

Heat. This thing gets HOT. It got too hot to keep to my face during a call.

Battery life. This is absolutely TERRIBLE. I charged it to 100%. Turned off all but a few essential apps to run in the background. Used edge for about 15 mins and it had dropped to 86%, and this was on 25% brightness! Absolute trash.

Lastly, performance. My 1520 runs the same version of Windows 10 faster and smoother than this 950 does. This is both a blessing and a curse: there isn't a reason to grab a flagship when it's going to be outperformed and outlasted by a 3 year old phone, yet it's also good because you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good experience. No wonder Microsoft keeps slipping in sales. What a bad device.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
8 hours and you decided to return it? Why not let the 950 updating first, perhaps that was why it got hot. Personally my 950 is fine. It gets warm when I charge it. No lag. Battery life is OK.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
MS should put a status indicator telling users that OS and apps are being updated. Makes me wonder how many customers they have lost like this.

Dexter_Morgan9

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Everything was updated. I'm not blind to the fact that apps were updating. I'm talking about AFTER the updates. 8 hours, you guys think the thing was going full blast the entire time?

Then there is another problem, one that I didn't have with 1520: Amazon, eBay, and cloudmuzik won't let me log in. I tap in the email/password box and I get a black screen. Apps have been uninstalled and reinstalled.

Battery life is pretty terrible even when I'm not doing taxing things. I made sure to have almost everything prevented from running in the background, and then I used edge for 15 mins and it went from 100% to 86%. That's no good.

I just don't understand why my 1520 runs smoother. 3gb of ram and a modern processor don't add up to the higher price tag. A 2k display on a 5" device is overkill. I gave it a try, but after using a 6s plus and a 1520 for 6+ months, I'm thoroughly disappointed.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Updated OS as well? My wife's 950 XL had terrible issue with heat and battery life and one time freezing. Accelerometer went crazy also. Went back to MS Store and got a replacement and everything's been golden so far over a week. You might have a bad HW. If hard reset doesn't fix, you might want to get it replaced.

Oh, one thing some people claim is that Hello Iris scanner is buggy and may be responsible for all kinds of trouble. It is in Beta after all. We've turned it off to be sure. Maybe it did the trick for us. I think it is a superb phone (camera is wow!) if you can get over this hump somehow. Best of luck to you.

ACF1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I think you should have waited at least a week before judging whether you like the phone or not, but to each its own.

Battery life seems to settle and improve slowly over a week of use after a hard reset. It may be too premature (it is barely over 24 hours since), but build .318 seems to help battery much better than .218. In fact, I hated build .218.

Edge does drain the battery like mad, I don't know why, but I hope it improves on future builds.

robsbrutal

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Everything was updated. I'm not blind to the fact that apps were updating. I'm talking about AFTER the updates. 8 hours, you guys think the thing was going full blast the entire time?

Then there is another problem, one that I didn't have with 1520: Amazon, eBay, and cloudmuzik won't let me log in. I tap in the email/password box and I get a black screen. Apps have been uninstalled and reinstalled.

Battery life is pretty terrible even when I'm not doing taxing things. I made sure to have almost everything prevented from running in the background, and then I used edge for 15 mins and it went from 100% to 86%. That's no good.

I just don't understand why my 1520 runs smoother. 3gb of ram and a modern processor don't add up to the higher price tag. A 2k display on a 5" device is overkill. I gave it a try, but after using a 6s plus and a 1520 for 6+ months, I'm thoroughly disappointed.

I think perhaps you may have gotten a bad device. I've never had issues like you describe. My 950 doesn't hit 85% until 3 hours after I take it off the charger. I wake up and browse then drive to work listening to a podcast and text during that time. I'm usually around 85-90% by my first break. I really just think you didn't give it a fair chance. Maybe you were worried about the money you spent and had buyers remorse but I can assure you the phone never lags for me, outside of a heavy web page loading in edge sometimes. As far as the login problem I use Amazon and cloudmuzik and am logged into both and have bought things off amazon with that app. So I don't know what the issue was there for you....I have heard great things about the 1520 though. But I can tell you that I think you got a bad phone maybe and to get another and give it a week or two. Then if you're still facing these issues return it before your time is up. 8 hours just isn't enough time for everything to settle in, like right after you update an OS it takes time for it to set up everything. The phones gonna get hot doing that also. I think if you give it another shot you'll be happy about it. Either way you decide at least you're on a Windows device and that's badass!

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Yep... I do.. I dunno what happens after you restore from backup (Sans the apps all getting multiple updates) but it freaking flogs the device for a LONG time... as a poster above mentioned.. MS should display something letting you know its going nuts while it gets things setup and updated etc..

My 640 would take most of a day to finish whatever it does... battery life on it would be crappy and things would be noticeably slow.. not to mention some apps would just not work or crash.. once it finished.. bata bing !

Also I posted about changing your privacy/feedback setting ... and there is another good post about turning off motion data if you're not using it to preserve battery life.

**** Update*****
I've been monitoring battery since changing feedback setting and now disabling motion data... was averaging 6-14%/hour then after changing feeback 3-6% now...after turning off motion data (I don't need it I have band 2) Wow.. 2-4% Will be interesting to watch the trend...

Last edited:

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
These phones take a few days to week or so to get "warmed up"
You didn't even give it a chance. And this is coming from someone that the 950XL was my first windows device since the original MDA back in '05-'06.

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
When I got my 950 a few weeks ago there were no less than 4 updates that were applied to my device. It has been totally fine since then. At first it was warm but I knew it was an OS issue. Now everything is great

No lag
no slowness
no screen flickering

it is all golden and I am nothing but satisfied with this device.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The XL seems to be the better designed unit. Even gsmarena tests show the screen is much better. However, anytime a unit is updated or new builds are installed it seems to slow down devices and cause issues for the first 24 hours or so. It's actually a known issue. Though MS should manage it better because people generally make their decisions early on. Even if you send review units and they are fresh there will be issues that reviewers will report on. It's weird that it happens. Though I didn't get it when updating to the latest build, which was a first. I wonder if todays/tomorrow's build will be normal too. Maybe MS is starting to figure things out as telemetry data comes in.

saputraj

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Valid claims. I endured the same problems. I even posted them here. However, I finally did a wipe using Recovery tool, and my 950 is now rock solid. The key is not the OS upgrade, but the firmware. My mistake, I enrolled in Insider as soon as I got my device and missed out on the critical firmware upgrade.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site

It does stuff under the hood for a long time. And even longer when restoring from backup. There's countless threads on this forum about this. Your device will be fine after a couple of days.

djack10

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
In the mobile space first impressions count for a lot and I fear this sort of thing will be losing Microsoft sales and market share. I mean there isn't a lot else to go at. iOS people are just stubborn and Google you have gazillion phones to go at. My 930 is up for replacement in the next month or so and reviews like this have me worried because I really want to stick with Windows Phone and I don't want to wait for Surface Phone cos I think that Microsoft and Intel (allegedly) will stuff it up.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
It takes at least 5 recharging cycles for your battery to be calibrated. Returning within 8 hours tells you absolutely nothing about the phone really.

I had about 12 hour battery life on my XL when I bought it with little to no use. After a week I had about 30 hours and now I enjoy atleast 48 hours of battery usage on each charge.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
It takes at least 5 recharging cycles for your battery to be calibrated. Returning within 8 hours tells you absolutely nothing about the phone really.

I had about 12 hour battery life on my XL when I bought it with little to no use. After a week I had about 30 hours and now I enjoy atleast 48 hours of battery usage on each charge.

That's great battery life!

I have to charge my 950 around 23 every night. But then again I use it heavily the whole day. Luckily it only takes less than an hour to charge it to 100%

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb