Lumia 950 (Adjusted Expectations)

Dexter_Morgan9

May 8, 2016
Visit site
I bashed the lumia 950 within hours after getting it, mainly because I have been using high quality devices recently and I expected the 950 to be as much. Since it obviously isn't the same level as my other devices, I have lowered my expectations and am beginning anew. It has been a few days, and I have been on the watch for the issues to either go away or get worse. Here is what I have observed:

Battery life: this isn't very good, FOR ME. I'm constantly on my device for work, be it emailing or texting another person in the department, and the only stock phon I have tried that makes it an entire 10 hour shift with me is the iPhone 6s Plus. The lumia made it about 6 hours of constant use. Not what I needed, but it has a replaceable battery.

Performance: performance is choppy sometimes when pulling notification tray down, texting, opening settings menu, and is downright SLOW when taking a picture and trying to view it in gallery. "Adding the finishing touches" is seen way too much on a "flagship" device. Again, I was used to my iPhone being instant with this, so I've had to lower expectations a bit.

Gaming: choppy. Playing sonic dash on my iPhone is buttery smooth, but playing it on my 1520 and 950 introduces large amounts of stutter into the picture. Another cross platform game, Call of Dead, is much worse on Windows than iOS.

These are just my thoughts after getting what I thought was going to be a truly amazing device. What I see is that Microsoft isn't putting as much focus on mobile as they should, and it shows. I can't understand how we have been waiting 5 years for Windows phone to be taken to the "next level," yet every time we think it's there, we hear "just wait, it's getting better."

The problem with waiting is there are two other more mature OS out there that don't require waiting to get apps, updates, and issues resolved in a timely manner. At this point, I will keep the 950 just because of its size. I can not and will not recommend a Windows phone to anyone. Ther are too many compromises you have to make, and it's not worth it.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
To each their own. I would agree though about some choppiness when I open certain apps. The compass apps are far better on android and ios and move very smoothly. Why cant we have smooth running compass apps?

Other than those things the experience on my 950 gets better with each update.
Very smooth scrolling and I no longer seem to have screen flicker.
I have tried several win 10 phones and I have come back to the Lumia 950 for my daily driver. The 650 is a very smooth operating phone too,keeping that as a backup.
Tried android and iOS and they are great OS 's, but for me despite the lack of my own banking app,...(I pin it to start screen,...problem solved) I really am satisfied with th OS overall and it will only get better. Come on Microsoft give us quality compass apps.

Thank the Lord Jesus we can have choice and not be limited to iOS and it's copycat android.

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
First thread, you say you purchased the phone off ebay.

Second thread you state that you decided to return the phone after 8 hours of using it and not being happy with performance (didn't know you could return phones purchased off ebay).

Third thread, you state you've been using the phone for a few days and still unhappy.

So which is it? Or are you just trolling? Why start new thread? If you are so unhappy with the phone, why are you still keeping it (puzzling)? For the sake of the rest of us, just return the phone once and for all and keep using your old phone.

Thanks.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
First thread, you say you purchased the phone off ebay.

Second thread you state that you decided to return the phone after 8 hours of using it and not being happy with performance (didn't know you could return phones purchased off ebay).

Third thread, you state you've been using the phone for a few days and still unhappy.

So which is it? Or are you just trolling? Why start new thread? If you are so unhappy with the phone, why are you still keeping it (puzzling)? For the sake of the rest of us, just return the phone once and for all and keep using your old phone.

Thanks.

Attention seeker.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss