• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Newsletter — sign up now! Learn More
    Hello all,

I've recently came across a warning coming up on my 950 (production release ring) about the need to scan and fix my SD card for possible errors. Now, I'm posting this to ask if anyone else has had this message come up and if the phone itself ever managed to fix it or if it's better to take the microSD out and scan it on a PC (which I don't have at the moment).

For me, I've let the phone "fix" it on one ocassion for about 24 hours to no avail. Granted, the card is not small (I have a Lexar 128 GB card), so I assume it can take a while. However, I don't have a frame of reference to say how much could the phone itself take to scan a card of this size or any size whatsoever.

So, have any of you managed to fix these kind of messages on the phone itself? And if so, how big was your SD card and how long did it take?
    05-20-2016 01:32 PM
    That is usually an early sign that the SD Card (or micro-SD Card) has started to fail. It's wise to acquire a replacement card as soon as possible after such a kind of prompt appears. Otherwise, the user risks data loss as a result of a broken micro-SD.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    05-20-2016 02:31 PM
    I had this 3 times on my 640 and it managed to fix it although I agree with gpobernard. I am not sure it starting to fail but I believe it is since all actions that are SD card related are done at a very slow speed.
    krishna T and gpobernardo like this.
    05-20-2016 03:04 PM
    RMA it, cause it's dead, Jim
    05-20-2016 04:16 PM
    Yep, I figured it could be directly an issue with the card due to the unsuccessful attempts to "fix it". Specially the 24 hours one. But yeah, I am in the process of moving things off of it and replacing it.

I just thought I'd ask for some reference in case this was due to a filesystem error that could be fixed from the phone itself and if so how long would it take. Also, well, if the "scan and fix" ever, ever worked with someone else.
    gpobernardo likes this.
    05-20-2016 05:37 PM
    I don't own a 950 but I got this 'scan for issues' a few times on my 830 with W10m. I never had any apps installed on the SD card but for whatever reason my phone got this issue. The SD card in question was a SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card class 10 and it did eventually start working again. It annoyed me enough to flash back to 8.1 and I haven't had any issues yet. So --- whether that matters or not...

EDIT: That's not the only issue that prompted me to go back to 8.1 ... but that's another thread thing
    Last edited by mark233; 05-20-2016 at 07:21 PM.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-20-2016 07:11 PM
    I was getting the same message recently. It seemed like an awfully convenient coincidence that others were getting this problem, but I did replace my SD card with a new one and it works fine now. There was definitely something going awry with my old SD card since when I inserted it into my computer, the computer said there was a problem with it as well. The card was getting pretty old.
    05-21-2016 10:31 AM
    So with all the posts about using specific SD cards/sizes, the card is "bad" is the advice being given. OK. How about the card is fine, try a different brand using one of the "approved" cards if you are concerned. Ive got a 128gb SanDisk and about every fifth time I force a restart, it shows that message. Been happening since November. And my card isnt bad. Regardless, you should always have a backup of any type of storage. And dont store apps on the card.
    05-22-2016 11:20 AM
    Its a os bug. Brand new 32gb and 128gb SanDisk cards were doing it after 1 days use. No matter how many times I scan for errors keep having the sane issue come up

Sent from mTalk
    05-22-2016 11:38 AM
    I got this issue whenever my 950 would reboot WHEN i was doing anything that accessed the SD card (photos, apps, music)

makes sense though.... an ungraceful shutdown when accessing the sd card would be similar to pulling the plug on a pc and firing it back up again. it wants to check storage to make sure all is good.

Granted, I'd assume that other things could cause the message to pop up as well (card going bad, fake sd card, bad app install, deleting a needed file, etc)
    gpobernardo likes this.
    05-22-2016 12:05 PM
    This is still happening for me. I'm on the fast ring. Is it still an issue for anyone else?
    06-15-2016 11:33 AM
    I replaced my 128GB card with a 200GB one and my problems regarding SD card needing to be "fixed" are gone. The phone rebooting issue remains. Phone was stable up to about 3 weeks ago.
    06-15-2016 09:05 PM
    I replaced my 128GB card with a 200GB one and my problems regarding SD card needing to be "fixed" are gone. The phone rebooting issue remains. Phone was stable up to about 3 weeks ago.
    Who's 200GB card did you use (brand)?
    06-16-2016 08:15 PM
    I've had my phone for a month now and ever since I've had it, it has been a problem. First bought a fake 64GB micro SD card from eBay then ended up getting refund and bought a genuine SanDisk 128GB micro SD card from Amazon - works fine but phone is still freezing and then restarting itself! Keeps doing it especially when I'm typing! Then it comes back on with the same error message saying the card needs to be scanned (no idea why cos the card is genuine and 128GB!). I do not click yes I want to scan as don't want to lose anything. But I've also moved the apps from the card to the device to see if that works but why should I? Hoping I can change this phone for a Samsung Galaxy S6 or something as I'm sick of problems with Windows Phones. Problem is I love them so much but they're so restrictive! I also noticed I could not take screenshots or save pictures from certain pages unless the card was in!
    06-17-2016 03:15 AM
    Update for me: I let it scan my card and now the error message has yet to come back. Latest fast ring build, 950. We'll see how it goes.
    06-17-2016 10:08 AM
    Who's 200GB card did you use (brand)?
    Sandisk (Dell Venue 8 Pro) and Patriot (Lumia 950)
    06-17-2016 06:04 PM