Phone is doing the weirdest thing....

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Up until last night my 950 (OEM build, non insider) was working perfectly, then last night I tried to unlock it and all I'm getting is a gray screen with this message: "This device has been locked for security reasons. Connect your device to a power source for at least two hours, then restart it to try again".

I plugged it in overnight but this morning the phone is still in a security lockdown state.

I've never seen a message like that before. The only thing I was able to do was a soft reset, which hasn't helped.

Does anyone know what this message means? What have I done to my phone? Has my phone been hacked or has the OS gone into meltdown?

Has anyone seen this on their phone? Any known fixes?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Up until last night my 950 (OEM build, non insider) was working perfectly, then last night I tried to unlock it and all I'm getting is a gray screen with this message: "This device has been locked for security reasons. Connect your device to a power source for at least two hours, then restart it to try again".

I plugged it in overnight but this morning the phone is still in a security lockdown state.

I've never seen a message like that before. The only thing I was able to do was a soft reset, which hasn't helped.

Does anyone know what this message means? What have I done to my phone? Has my phone been hacked or has the OS gone into meltdown?

Has anyone seen this on their phone? Any known fixes?

is it a company phone or a company email account that you used on your phone?

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
is it a company phone or a company email account that you used on your phone?

Hi Chintan. No, it's a personal phone. I run my own little business so have a business email account, but I 100% own all aspects and settings.

The only weird thing to have happened over the past 24 hours is I received an email from a strange address. The email had no attachments or links...it just said hello. I work in recruitment so am used to getting lots of emails from candidates I don't know. So I responded to the email. The sender wrote back a few hours later just saying hello again. With hindsight, the email address looked suspicious and I should have ignored it.

Is it possible for W10M to be virused/hacked?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
]This guy posted a solution that worked for him in the first post.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...o-option-open-tells-connect-power-source.html

He wasn't very forthcoming with the details but it would be like:

Go to https://account.microsoft.com/devices on a browser
Select your phone then lock it it will ask you to use a 6 digit code. The phone will lock and write goodbye.
Restart it and use the code to unlock it and the message will be gone and you will be at your start screen.
Ensure ur phone is connected to the internet during this process

Is it possible for W10M to be virused/hacked?

no

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...o-option-open-tells-connect-power-source.html

Select your phone then lock it it will ask you to use a 6 digit code. The phone will lock and write goodbye.
Restart it and use the code to unlock it and the message will be gone and you will be at your start screen.

no

Wow, that actually worked perfectly, thanks ttsoldier, you've saved me a massive headache. I use my phone with continuum as my desktop and was about to have a really bad day at work....

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why a phone would randomly lock like that? I went online this morning and there are plenty of W10M users who have had the same issue. Has MS said anything about it?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Wow, that actually worked perfectly, thanks ttsoldier, you've saved me a massive headache. I use my phone with continuum as my desktop and was about to have a really bad day at work....

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why a phone would randomly lock like that? I went online this morning and there are plenty of W10M users who have had the same issue. Has MS said anything about it?

on pc, make sure to check out that email in a browser with proper antivirus and internet security in place. See if any warnings pop up. Then delete it completely from both email and from mail apps across the devices

The above suggestion was to sort you out but you already got sorted

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

no

That is one well thought out solution. Great catch

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

I have seen this happen when
1) Either the date time changes suddenly due to SIM card removed while the phone is locked OR..
2) When the user accidentally inputs incorrect unlock PIN for more than a certain limit..

Glad that you got it sorted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720