Up until last night my 950 (OEM build, non insider) was working perfectly, then last night I tried to unlock it and all I'm getting is a gray screen with this message: "This device has been locked for security reasons. Connect your device to a power source for at least two hours, then restart it to try again".

I plugged it in overnight but this morning the phone is still in a security lockdown state.

I've never seen a message like that before. The only thing I was able to do was a soft reset, which hasn't helped.

Does anyone know what this message means? What have I done to my phone? Has my phone been hacked or has the OS gone into meltdown?

Has anyone seen this on their phone? Any known fixes?
    05-27-2016 01:40 AM
    Up until last night my 950 (OEM build, non insider) was working perfectly, then last night I tried to unlock it and all I'm getting is a gray screen with this message: "This device has been locked for security reasons. Connect your device to a power source for at least two hours, then restart it to try again".

I plugged it in overnight but this morning the phone is still in a security lockdown state.

I've never seen a message like that before. The only thing I was able to do was a soft reset, which hasn't helped.

Does anyone know what this message means? What have I done to my phone? Has my phone been hacked or has the OS gone into meltdown?

Has anyone seen this on their phone? Any known fixes?
    is it a company phone or a company email account that you used on your phone?
    05-27-2016 02:44 AM
    is it a company phone or a company email account that you used on your phone?
    Hi Chintan. No, it's a personal phone. I run my own little business so have a business email account, but I 100% own all aspects and settings.

The only weird thing to have happened over the past 24 hours is I received an email from a strange address. The email had no attachments or links...it just said hello. I work in recruitment so am used to getting lots of emails from candidates I don't know. So I responded to the email. The sender wrote back a few hours later just saying hello again. With hindsight, the email address looked suspicious and I should have ignored it.

Is it possible for W10M to be virused/hacked?
    05-27-2016 02:52 AM
    ]This guy posted a solution that worked for him in the first post.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...er-source.html

He wasn't very forthcoming with the details but it would be like:

Go to https://account.microsoft.com/devices on a browser
    Select your phone then lock it it will ask you to use a 6 digit code. The phone will lock and write goodbye.
    Restart it and use the code to unlock it and the message will be gone and you will be at your start screen.
    Ensure ur phone is connected to the internet during this process

Is it possible for W10M to be virused/hacked?
    no
    05-27-2016 03:20 AM

Select your phone then lock it it will ask you to use a 6 digit code. The phone will lock and write goodbye.
    Restart it and use the code to unlock it and the message will be gone and you will be at your start screen.

no
    Wow, that actually worked perfectly, thanks ttsoldier, you've saved me a massive headache. I use my phone with continuum as my desktop and was about to have a really bad day at work....

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why a phone would randomly lock like that? I went online this morning and there are plenty of W10M users who have had the same issue. Has MS said anything about it?
    05-27-2016 05:55 AM
    Wow, that actually worked perfectly, thanks ttsoldier, you've saved me a massive headache. I use my phone with continuum as my desktop and was about to have a really bad day at work....

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why a phone would randomly lock like that? I went online this morning and there are plenty of W10M users who have had the same issue. Has MS said anything about it?
    on pc, make sure to check out that email in a browser with proper antivirus and internet security in place. See if any warnings pop up. Then delete it completely from both email and from mail apps across the devices

The above suggestion was to sort you out but you already got sorted
    aximtreo and Jcmg62 like this.
    05-27-2016 06:11 AM

no
    That is one well thought out solution. Great catch
    05-27-2016 06:13 AM
    I have seen this happen when
    1) Either the date time changes suddenly due to SIM card removed while the phone is locked OR..
    2) When the user accidentally inputs incorrect unlock PIN for more than a certain limit..

Glad that you got it sorted.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    05-28-2016 08:18 PM