Lumia 950 keeps waking while charging.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 950 keeps waking while it's plugged into the charger. Same issue on friend's 650, but more severe.

What does "more severe" mean? It's a known behavior.

Turn the phone off, plug it in and it boots. How does the 650 do it "more severe?"

Lumia's all exhibit this behavior. I believe that it has to do with the OS taking control of charging for efficiency and to monitor against overcharge.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
What's happening, from my observation, the charge keeps starting and stopping, restarting, and re-stopping. As a result, the screen activates every time. My company has designed a USB-PD device, and has participated with it at USB plug fests, trying the circuit on a number of USB-C devices, including the Lumia 950. The Lumia has incorrectly designed they way it deals with the charging process. Chargers that have been designed to the spec will likely not work with the 950. I've only found three ways of stopping this. 1) use the AC adapter that came with the 950, MSFT made sure the two pieces work together. 2) Use the USB-C cable that shipped with the Lumia, plugging it into a USB port. 3) use a wireless charger like the DT-910, bypassing the USB-C port altogether.

I've bought third-party cables and tried charging my phone in the car, no luck, it keeps producing the charge / no charge routine. According to the guys in my company involved with the chargers, it's not a FW issue with the Lumia, so MSFT can't develop a software fix. My guys were able to modify their charger firmware and make it work with the 950, but that's only on a test bench. They absolutely could show the A/B comparison of having it charge as expected, or not.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had the L950 since launch at started having this problem a month ago. When I plug my phone into the quick charger that came with the phone, it keeps on connecting and disconnecting which wakes the phone from sleep. In my case it actually keeps doing this until the battery completely dies, which is frustrating to say the least. I have a hard time replicating the problem, but it does happen every 3-4 days. Sometimes after rebooting 2-3 times the problem goes away, but often I have to either use a wireless charger or an anker usb 2.0 charger from amazon with USB C cable.

I'm not sure if there is a fault with my MS fast charger or with my phone and fast charging in general. I'm going to try and exchange my charger with MS and will post the results.

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Maybe check the connection on the usb-c port on your phone. Could be a loose connection. the plug from OEM 5v/3a charger seems to be good quality though, never had this issue.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
The phone port looked okay and it did charge with the usb-c data cable that came with the phone. The replacement quick charger is working perfectly so I'm pretty sure it was an issue with the charger (fingers crossed).

I contact MS through online chat and they told me to call a certain number for support. I called a few times but the wait was so long that I couldn't stay on the line. I tried chat one more time and got the greatest cust service rep. At first he said the charger was out of warranty (it falls under accessoriies and not the 1 yr warranty that covers the phone) and that I should go to a MS store and have the tech resolve my issue. I told him I do not mind paying full price for a charger- but the problem is I can't buy an OEM quick charger anywhere. I also told him I'm 250 miles from the nearest MS store and I really need some resolution on this. He immediately said he would take care of it and actually over-nighted me a new quick charger. For all the frustration of being a windows phone fan and L950 owner, the customer support made me very happy. I just asked that he relay the issue of not having quick chargers for sale to the higher ups- it's a huge oversight by MS.

Anyhoo, the point of me posting this is that anyone having an issue with their quick charger should push back a little bit if MS isn't sending them a replacement- whether or not they are out of warranty.

Alligator42

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
This happens to my 950 as well, and I'm using a wireless charger. It just randomly wakes up on the desk in front of me, for no apparent reason.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I haven't tried wireless yet, but I found that if the charger is unplugged from power but connected to the phone, it will indeed wake up constantly every few seconds until the battery dies. That is very annoying.

But the charger works fine when plugged.

About third party cables, remember to make sure they meet the USB-C spec. There are lots of cables that don't meet the spec for sale. Actually a google employee became a bit famous because he burned a usb port in his laptop because of that. Then he started reviewing a loooot of usb-c cables sold on amazon to check which ones were up to spec. A lot of them weren't.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99