'Find My Friends' - anything like that available for Windows 10M?

flair77

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Tried Glympse - but max you can track is for 4 hours, that's a real waste.

Isn't there anything like the iPhone's Find My Friends app for the L950?

flair77

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Also... preferably something that works on WindowsPhone AND Android, because I'm probably the only one with this phone in my country :winktongue:

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
There's the IOS/Android/Windows Life360 app, but the creator has recently said they will no longer support W10M. I've read somewhere that with IOS, the GPS query is very fast and periodic, while W8.1's GPS query was slow to update. Not sure whether this has improved with W10M.

Update: I saw the recommendation for "Simple Latitude" app in this thread, and downloaded it. In its settings, it allows for how periodic the GPS gets updates if the app is running, and if the app is not running then the update period is 30 minutes. I believe this is the current limitation of W10M.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There's the IOS/Android/Windows Life360 app, but the creator has recently said they will no longer support W10M. I've read somewhere that with IOS, the GPS query is very fast and periodic, while W8.1's GPS query was slow to update. Not sure whether this has improved with W10M.

Update: I saw the recommendation for "Simple Latitude" app in this thread, and downloaded it. In its settings, it allows for how periodic the GPS gets updates if the app is running, and if the app is not running then the update period is 30 minutes. I believe this is the current limitation of W10M.

I don't buy the argument quoted. Location tracking worked well for Life365 and other apps both in WP8.1 and W10M. You could even poll your friend on demand with Life365 on W10M which you could do if your friend was running 8.1. I suspect it's more of a financial reason behind their decision. Maybe it was one of the few apps MS paid for development but stopped doing that going forward? Anyway, Simple Latitude works very well so no great loss for me. I think Followmee also has a cross-platform solution.

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Followmee costs $3 ($5 for Deluxe) and you have to get your friends to use it if you want to see them/have them see you.

Me: "Hey, get the app "followmee" so we can see each other's location."
Them: "You have to PAY for it??"
Me: "Well, yeah, but only once."
Them: "Or, YOU could just get an iPhone like everybody else."

And a 30-minute update for positions on Simple Latitude blows. That's a non-starter for me.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Followmee costs $3 ($5 for Deluxe) and you have to get your friends to use it if you want to see them/have them see you.

Me: "Hey, get the app "followmee" so we can see each other's location."
Them: "You have to PAY for it??"
Me: "Well, yeah, but only once."
Them: "Or, YOU could just get an iPhone like everybody else."

And a 30-minute update for positions on Simple Latitude blows. That's a non-starter for me.
30 minute number was enforced to save battery, not to limit the apps. And they might have shortened it a bit frequent these days on W10M because I am seeing more frequent location updates and I think I saw shorter interval options in some apps. Simple Latitude allows you to ping your friend on demand so there's no delay if you need the most current position. Another option they give is to run in foreground and it's updated every 60 seconds
or even faster. Not sure what more you want from those apps...

flair77

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I tried Simple Latitude on my L950 and another Samsung Galaxy. I found it pretty useless... especially on the Samsung, you got to keep the App open for it to work and it doesn't run in the background.

Like someone said, dunno why we don't have simple solutions like we do on the iPhone.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I tried Simple Latitude on my L950 and another Samsung Galaxy. I found it pretty useless... especially on the Samsung, you got to keep the App open for it to work and it doesn't run in the background.

Like someone said, dunno why we don't have simple solutions like we do on the iPhone.

Simple Latitude is simple enough and works well on our L950, L950XL and Moto E (Android) but I get that it may not be for everyone.

Regarding its background operation, they have a rather unique scheme. This is from Google Play description:

5. Works in following modes:
- foreground (upon startup and user request)
- background (every 10-20 minutes)
- terminated (on significant location change)
6. Auto-updates your location upon startup or manually by request, in background mode and even when your app is terminated

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb