Lumia 950 gets HOT

Powerman777

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Now running 14393.67 and phone still gets hot. It seems to happen mostly when the phone itself is in a "hot" environment. It's 95F outside right now and my phone is literally burning a hole in my pocket...

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I've had my dual SIM unlocked 950 for about 3 weeks. The first week it was on build 10586.494 and updated to 10586.545. The second week is when the Anniversary Update officially launched and it has been up to date with the latest official build ever since.

Mine starts to heat up after playing a game or watch video for a about 5 to 10 minutes. I think the display is the culprit. It's been charging via USB for the past hour and it is currently cool to the touch with the Glance screen turned on.

The first day I had this phone, I also had a newly installed Qi charging phone mount in my car. I don't have much real estate in my car for a mount like this, so I tried suctioning it to the windshield. I set a destination in the maps app where my screen would not time out and placed the phone in the charging mount. after about 5 minutes, a warning popped up on the display stating that my phone was overheating. I think this was due to a combination of the display running and being placed in the direct sunlight on a hot day in an area where the air conditioner cannot reach. A few moments after the warning, the phone rebooted itself due to overheating.

I have since moved the phone mount down to where it is hanging from the air vent. With the A/C running and the vent blowing across the back of the Qi charger, I haven't had any more overheating incidents, but the phone still gets very hot to the touch if the display is running for too long.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the carrier variant makes a difference. My previous post describes the heat issue occurring on an unlocked dual SIM version of the 950.
Well my understanding is that the unlocked version got updates that address the issue some while the att version hasn't gotten the important firmware updates.

Mach_E

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone put the phone to same use case for a day or two but in flight mode and on Wi-Fi?
That should be good test to figure out if network or signal is the issue.

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it burns quite often. Not sure why, but I do wireless charge in work and it gets physically too hot to hold when using whilst charging. Also, Bluetooth whilst USB-C charging can make it hot if in use. I find the Mozo leather cases are worse, but not massively.

The other thing, is whenever there is an update available (not downloading), the phone will get boiling hot to the point of dangerous, and the battery will die until you download the update.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
The 950s were very poorly designed with a chip know to produce excessive heat. Trade it in for store credit and get 640XL for 1/5th the price. It's a much better device

cheesemoo

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
My 950 used to do the same thing till i factory reset it. The problem is that the Anniversary Update has brought the problem back for my phone. It just got so hot the heat warning popped up and it shut the phone down by itself...... 950 has been a bust for me at least...

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
My 950 used to do the same thing till i factory reset it. The problem is that the Anniversary Update has brought the problem back for my phone. It just got so hot the heat warning popped up and it shut the phone down by itself...... 950 has been a bust for me at least...

For me too. 950XL was an awful device.

docsp1

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Heating Problem was solved mostly by updates und disabling background tasks. Sometimes changing for a browser without java script (f.E. Adventurizer Browser) will make a Difference.

Powerman777

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Updating and background takes has no effect for me. Light use (eg. Powered on in my pocket) can cause it to get crazy hot. My theory is that the phone is oddly designed and cannot tolerate even more heating, which is why it cold my leg while in my pocket.

To test this I put my phone outside (not in the sun) during some hot weather (30C and up). Within minutes the phone will be to hot to touch. If I bring it back inside and cool it off, no problem.

Verdict, very very poor design.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by Powerman777
Updating and background takes has no effect for me. Light use (eg. Powered on in my pocket) can cause it to get crazy hot. My theory is that the phone is oddly designed and cannot tolerate even more heating, which is why it cold my leg while in my pocket.

To test this I put my phone outside (not in the sun) during some hot weather (30C and up). Within minutes the phone will be to hot to touch. If I bring it back inside and cool it off, no problem.

Verdict, very very poor design.

Except not all of ours does it.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I did side by side test playing Minecraft PE on 950XL and 640XL. Both easily handle the graphics.

However the 950XL screen gets really hot, and the 640XL had no temperature change. The 950XL uses the SD810 which overheats, bad hardware. 950XL is not a flagship. 640XL is much better device and the real flagship

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I've come from a 640 to a 950. The 640 is great value but it is no flag ship.

And again I will say that this 950 does not get even remotely warm in normal use. It's brand new and running the Anniversary update. Battery app reports a drain of 1.72% per hour.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6