Lumia 950 gets HOT

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
So I just got a 950 off eBay. The guy said it was new but I don't think so. The condition is like new but the factory wrap, screen cover, and charger bands were all missing. Anyway, the phone works and I love it, but it gets REALLY hot. Hot to the point when I use it and touch the screen, my finger tips get hot as well. Also I noticed hardcore battery drain. Is this normal or just my unit? This is an AT&T branded one too by the way

Powerman777

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm running a sim-unlocked 950 on t-mobile and experience the hot phone issue routinely. I tried turning off almost everything running in the background, but it still gets hot.

Best I can figure is that it's struggling to reach the cell signal. If I turn the phone off and pull the battery for a minute or two (it cools off faster with battery out of case) and restart, it's good for a while.

There also seems to be some sort of "feedback loop" where the hotter the phone is, the more it heats up. For example, if I use it outside on a hot day, the phone will just go crazy hot on it's own.

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
14393.5 fixed that heating problem to me. If u wait few days, you probably can update your phone over OTA, as non insiders still waiting Anniversary Update!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, it has been hot the whole time I have been setting it up. Hoping that the update that Tiiger88 is talking about will be coming tomorrow.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
My guy is hot at all times really. Sometimes it's not so bad but others, it's like a touching a fireball. When it's charging, forget about it even using it until you unplug and wait awhile. I downloaded the new build with the slow ring so I guess I'll see what happens.

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Mine gets hot if I charge it when the battery's fully drained. Sometimes it gets warmy while using Tubecast. Speaking of which, my 950 appears to not be digging Tubecast at all as it buffers videos frequently, even at 360p. I have no such issues with myTube though.

But yeah, as far as the heating goes, that's all I've noticed so far.

EDIT: I'm on Redstone 1 by the way.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Ooh your luck isn;t so good :( Hasn't run hot since setting up. I really hope that the update will cool it down for you.

Valter Baptista1

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm thinking of switching from my XL to the 950 because of the extreme heat my XL has when playing games. I'm guessing its the SD810 fault. But i'm a little affraid that the same thing happens. Do you already have feedback from the latest build?

thanks!

blackburberry

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
Lithium ion batteries are in the news a lot lately for exploding and burning. Do you think it could be a bad battery causing your issue? I would try another battery to test with.

Although the risk is small you certainly you don't want any unnecessary risk of injury.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I will try this. I can say from experience that batteries can be dangerous. I had a blackberry back in the day and I fell asleep with it on charge. I awoke to it on fire on my floor and also got electrocuted trying to unplug it.

Lithium ion batteries are in the news a lot lately for exploding and burning. Do you think it could be a bad battery causing your issue? I would try another battery to test with.

Although the risk is small you certainly you don't want any unnecessary risk of injury.

blackburberry

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
I will try this. I can say from experience that batteries can be dangerous. I had a blackberry back in the day and I fell asleep with it on charge. I awoke to it on fire on my floor and also got electrocuted trying to unplug it.

Yikes! And THAT was the bedside mode alarm. The ringtone name was noti-fire! :smile:

Please let us know how the battery swap works out.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
You're not alone in this... at this point I've given up on my 950. It's always warm, burns through battery life even when sitting in my pocket 90-plus percent of the time, all while offering sub-par responsiveness. Today the start screen wouldn't load for some unknown reason, necessitating a restart -- just another example of the random failures that make this phone so frustrating. Beyond this, data and cell service is spotty and during phone calls others often complain about atrocious audio quality from me. It's really unfathomable how bad this device is, or at least how bad mine is. Also, BTW, I've tried resetting it and got it swapped for a refurbished model from AT&T but it doesn't matter. #WorstSmartphoneEver

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Okay so I tested my 950 with another battery. It gave me the same issue of coarse. I ended up having to deal with mutants from AT&T and several scutches putting me through useless trouble shooting on the phone. They finally sent me a brand new one after I got a hold of somebody intelligent. This guy is great. It got hot at first which is to be expected but it quickly cooled off and hasn't heated up since. This is my third one too so third times a charm. I would suggest you's guys try and get new ones if that's at all possible. These things appear to be hit or miss.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99