950 Noob - What Insider Ring should I join?

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey everybody,

I've been loving my 1020 for 2 years now (running 8.1 update 2) but the battery is starting its slow decline. I picked up a 640 for $30 to test W10M and have been impressed by some of the more recent builds (currently on 14393.67). AT&T dropping the price of the branded 950 to $300 pushed me over the edge, and it should be arriving tomorrow.

So here's my question: since this will be my daily driver, what software version should I be shooting for? Which Insider ring should I join, if any? Is AT&T pushing out the anniversary update soon? Also, what is the best way to transfer contacts? I'm kind of leery of doing a system restore, because I was unimpressed by the results when I tried it on the 640.

My most important uses for this will be phone calls, email (two accounts, Yahoo and an Outlook account for work) and camera/video. I read a lot of news on MSN News and Facebook, as well. Music and other Bluetooth functions are lower priority for me.

Thanks for your advice!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The Release Ring is your best bet if you need it to be very functional. It's up to you if you want to join Insider though.

palmujukka

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Insider rings are soon moving to Redstone 2 builds which will likely have lot of bugs and other limitations at the beginning. I wouldn't join the Insider program at this stage for a daily driver phone.

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
That makes sense. Will even the pre-release ring be on Redstone 2?

I guess I just want to make sure I can get the Redstone 1 enhancement like Panorama, but don't want to wait for AT&T (I would have bought an unlocked phone, but $100 is $100...)

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I just got my ATT 950 earlier this week. I am currently running the Release preview build .82 and I am experiencing a problem where Bluetooth support crashes whenever I get out of my car. Does this bug exist on the 10586 (pre AU) branch? I really love everything about WM10 AU, but this Bluetooth bug is a real pain for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99