09-21-2016 01:38 AM
36 12
tools
    wp_ss_20160825_0001.jpg

I'd say Microsoft is definitely on the right track..

How has your battery life fared after the anniversary update?
    08-26-2016 01:12 AM
    This always happens - some get a better experience while others on the forums are crying over fast battery drains
    vezycash likes this.
    08-26-2016 07:45 AM
    Battery-life is terrible and makes the phone pretty unreliable. I first thought battery-drain was just a problem in the earl days after I had set up the phone. But again and again it heats up and the phone is dead after a couple of hours. The Anniversary Update brought no improvement at all. I don't know if it's bad design of the hardware, the software or certain apps. I am very disappointed. The last quality device i got from Microsoft was a Surface Pro 2. Since then i had a horrible Bluetooth mouse and a sometimes buggy Surface Pro 4. There is a point somewhere when even the biggest fan is tired of all the issues and the promises of future fixes and better times.
    libra89 and vezycash like this.
    08-26-2016 09:38 AM
    Battery-life is terrible and makes the phone pretty unreliable. I first thought battery-drain was just a problem in the earl days after I had set up the phone. But again and again it heats up and the phone is dead after a couple of hours. The Anniversary Update brought no improvement at all. I don't know if it's bad design of the hardware, the software or certain apps. I am very disappointed. The last quality device i got from Microsoft was a Surface Pro 2. Since then i had a horrible Bluetooth mouse and a sometimes buggy Surface Pro 4. There is a point somewhere when even the biggest fan is tired of all the issues and the promises of future fixes and better times.
    so you have a 950 with severe battery issues after the AU? Or have battery issues always been there for you irrespective of which build you have?
    08-26-2016 11:51 AM
    For my 950, the earlier public builds in April, May and June weren't too bad - the July and August updates caused some kind of weird drain on idle - whereby it would just lose 3% - 5% every hour without turning on the screen. If i charge it to 100% at midnight - there would only 85% left by 7am.

Anniversary update corrected this for me - such that charging it to 100% at midnight - i now have 97% by 7am - which is great!! I think its the new battery settings which now have 3 levels - never run in the background, manage by windows, always run in the background. All my apps are set to 'managed by windows'.

Also, my 950 has cortana, glance - i have no applications turned off - everything is running per default. Except for mail - which syncs daily.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    08-26-2016 12:16 PM
    To reduce battery drain, I suggest you to do the following
    1 a hard reset and clean install of apps
    2 disable nfc
    3 disable automatic back ups
    4 disable automatic updates of apps when you are connected to wifi and do them yourself once a day at home.
    5 use auto brightness
    6 Dissable edge from backgroung apps and any other app you dont want to run in background
    7 Do not enable ''Hey Cortana'' option all day, enable that only when you need it, for example when you are driving
    8 Do not sync contacts and callendar of multiple emails,I have 4 email accounts and I sync contacts and callendar in only one of them. Also you can dissable in non important emails the automatic sync and set it manuall or every 2 hours
    9 Use a dark backgroung in start and lock screen, the more clear black it is the better.
    10 Disable vibration of navigation bar touches.
    11 Close open tabs that you dont need in edge, close apps you dont use by long pressing the back button.
    12 Use tiles for apps you want tiles, the more tiles you have the more battery the phone consumes, if you dont want tiles for money app dont have them, For example I dissabled store tile and cortana tile.
    13 Dissable auto restart of wifi
    This is what I did in my lumia 950 and the battery life is doubled. The above actions importance is in random order except the hard reset. After the au and with those actions my phone never overheat and my battery life is excelent.
    Sorry for any typping mistakes english is not my speaking language
    08-26-2016 01:27 PM
    This always happens - some get a better experience while others on the forums are crying over fast battery drains
    I just wanna see if this is an individual case or an actual improvement that benefits every user.

Before the anniversary update, my Lumia 950 would get 19 hours at most of normal usage before it reaches 20%, also, the phone overheated. But after the anniversary update, even in this hot summer, the phone never overheated and battery can easily last a full day with about 35% battery left... I am not sure about your situations, but did you try resetting your phone? I have a Surface 3, but I never suffered the problems you described with your Surface(s).

For my 950, the earlier public builds in April, May and June weren't too bad - the July and August updates caused some kind of weird drain on idle - whereby it would just lose 3% - 5% every hour without turning on the screen. If i charge it to 100% at midnight - there would only 85% left by 7am.
    My 950 was able to do 19 hours before reaching 20% but after a few updates, it came down to 17 hours, which was very disappointing, and the phone also overheated regularly.
    I have most or all of those enabled but my 950 still lasts a full day with 35% to 40% battery left.
    08-26-2016 07:29 PM
    I just wanna see if this is an individual case or an actual improvement that benefits every user.
    Before the anniversary update, my Lumia 950 would get 19 hours at most of normal usage before it reaches 20%, also, the phone overheated. But after the anniversary update, even in this hot summer, the phone never overheated and battery can easily last a full day with about 35% battery left... I am not sure about your situations, but did you try resetting your phone? I have a Surface 3, but I never suffered the problems you described with your Surface(s).

My 950 was able to do 19 hours before reaching 20% but after a few updates, it came down to 17 hours, which was very disappointing, and the phone also overheated regularly.

I have most or all of those enabled but my 950 still lasts a full day with 35% to 40% battery left.
    I felt something was wrong with the last 2 updates on 10586 before the big AU came - if yours was overheating, mine goes felt warm from time to time on idle - with data plan and WIFI off.

On the old updates - checking the battery use by app - i found 'Screen' to take quite a bit on background - '23%-30%'. Battery life was also poor when i had Microsoft Health installed - have since removed it before AU.
    08-26-2016 09:00 PM
    I am hoping that ATT releases the Tap to Wake firmware soon because I want to do a hard reset on my 950 without restoring from backup. Like grayskale, my 950 - which is on Insider Preview - loses 3-5% battery life on idle even with 'Battery Saver' switched on. I'm hoping the hard reset/fresh start corrects this.
    Jeff Merritt1 likes this.
    08-27-2016 02:27 AM
    1 a hard reset and clean install of apps
    2 disable nfc
    3 disable automatic back ups
    4 disable automatic updates of apps when you are connected to wifi and do them yourself once a day at home.
    5 use auto brightness
    6 Dissable edge from backgroung apps and any other app you dont want to run in background
    7 Do not enable ''Hey Cortana'' option all day, enable that only when you need it, for example when you are driving
    8 Do not sync contacts and callendar of multiple emails,I have 4 email accounts and I sync contacts and callendar in only one of them. Also you can dissable in non important emails the automatic sync and set it manuall or every 2 hours
    9 Use a dark backgroung in start and lock screen, the more clear black it is the better.
    10 Disable vibration of navigation bar touches.
    11 Close open tabs that you dont need in edge, close apps you dont use by long pressing the back button.
    12 Use tiles for apps you want tiles, the more tiles you have the more battery the phone consumes, if you dont want tiles for money app dont have them, For example I dissabled store tile and cortana tile.
    13 Dissable auto restart of wifi
    This is what I did in my lumia 950 and the battery life is doubled. The above actions importance is in random order except the hard reset. After the au and with those actions my phone never overheat and my battery life is excelent.
    I feel like I shouldn't have to do all these to get a great battery life.
    08-27-2016 02:52 AM
    I always reset after big jumps in OS. Does not matter what platform I'm on. Happy, always.

Sent from mTalk on Windows Phone 10
    ananve and TgeekB like this.
    08-27-2016 03:24 AM
    I've done this before and definitely the battery life improves. Does it affect my experience? Personally no
    Ntois and Maurizio Troso like this.
    08-27-2016 08:05 AM
    You got a Lumia. A hand sized notebook. And it works like a notebook.
    Andrea988 and Chintan Gohel like this.
    08-27-2016 12:38 PM
    To be honest mine spends most of it's time on a wireless charger on my desk and a charging dock overnight. This puts me in a position of never really using it for long enough for the battery to run down.

It's an extremely difficult metric to define because it depends on so many issues. Screen brightness is a big one, as is how strong your wireless and cell signals are because it defines how hard your phone has to work to hold a signal. Obviously no two people are going to be exactly the same distance from their relevant antenna. NFC should have a very tiny effect on battery life, just leave it on unless you never use it.
    TgeekB likes this.
    08-27-2016 12:50 PM
    To be honest mine spends most of it's time on a wireless charger on my desk and a charging dock overnight. This puts me in a position of never really using it for long enough for the battery to run down.

It's an extremely difficult metric to define because it depends on so many issues. Screen brightness is a big one, as is how strong your wireless and cell signals are because it defines how hard your phone has to work to hold a signal. Obviously no two people are going to be exactly the same distance from their relevant antenna. NFC should have a very tiny effect on battery life, just leave it on unless you never use it.
    I reveal you one thing: last week, someone blamed lumia for not hooking any wifi signal...
    AFter a little investigation, I said him "Are your sure your back cover is fullfitted? There's a big antenna inside plastics"
    Natually, I was blamed.
    Then he said the cover wasn't clipped well on phone.... after that, wifi was at top again >.<
    08-27-2016 01:00 PM
    I found a way to improve the battery life of my 950XL, not happy about it but if it works......................

I used to use full web pages, the site I go on most is Windows Central and you could almost see the battery leaking out it's life. So I switched to mobile versions, and I am afraid I now use the WC app on the phone. Instead of getting home with 50% I now have somewhere nearer 70%

Sorry to say that this site is by far and away the worst resource hog I have ever come across, slow as hell on PC's and tablets like the SP3, thankfully now cured by Adblock and a resource and battery hog on my phone.

I do hope extensions come to Edge on the phone.
    08-27-2016 01:11 PM
    I struggled with threshold on my 950xl for a long time, didn't understand how people could be happy.

Bought my wife a 950 and she's not a hard phone user at all. Just games while riding on transit. She complained about battery and when she complains it means something.

Rs1 insider a short while back helped battery so much. My wife stopped complaining immediately. With my usage, I noticed some builds were poorer than others in terms of battery but right now with 14393.103... Quite happy otherwise
    08-28-2016 01:54 AM
    I am hoping that ATT releases the Tap to Wake firmware soon because I want to do a hard reset on my 950 without restoring from backup.
    hell yeah! someone called AT&T and tell them that we need that firmware..

I've done this before and definitely the battery life improves. Does it affect my experience? Personally no
    I actually need NFC for tap-to-pay (after the AU of course). I am actually thinking about ditching my wallet..

Doesn't your phone get overheated when it spends its time on that wireless charger?

Sorry to say that this site is by far and away the worst resource hog I have ever come across, slow as hell on PC's and tablets like the SP3, thankfully now cured by Adblock and a resource and battery hog on my phone.
    Almost all the big tech news sites are battery/memory hog these days, just saw a gallery on cnet today and AdB blocked over 300 ads.. I am hoping to see extensions on phones too.

Rs1 insider a short while back helped battery so much. My wife stopped complaining immediately. With my usage, I noticed some builds were poorer than others in terms of battery but right now with 14393.103... Quite happy otherwise
    To me, this feels like something MS done right in a long time.
    08-28-2016 03:21 AM
    Doesn't your phone get overheated when it spends its time on that wireless charger?
    My phone (950xl) is usually on a wireless charger on my desk or overnight on my bedstand. It gets warm during charge but when charge is finished, it's cool.
    08-28-2016 09:31 PM
    I've had some pretty horrendous battery life since the update. I was on the fast ring until the AU came out, and hadn't done a hard reset for a few months. Doing that now/no longer getting insider updates.

Hopefully this helps. I was recently travelling and was shocked to see how bad the battery life truly was when I wasn't able to have it plugged in 12+ hours a day.

Discharge rate when not in use was 5%+ per hour. When in airplane mode and playing very non-graphic intense games (e.g. solitaire), I was discharging at 40%+ per hour. I went from a full charge to under 20% in a 2 hour flight, and even took a couple of 10 minute breaks.

I used all of the tricks to extend battery life (brightness down, background stuff disabled, etc.). Couldn't believe how quickly it drained

I'll post my results post reset in a couple days.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-29-2016 11:14 AM
    My phone (950xl) is usually on a wireless charger on my desk or overnight on my bedstand. It gets warm during charge but when charge is finished, it's cool.
    I put my 950 on a wireless charger before and it felt like it just came out of an oven just after about 15 mins, never used a wireless charger again since.
    Discharge rate when not in use was 5%+ per hour. When in airplane mode and playing very non-graphic intense games (e.g. solitaire), I was discharging at 40%+ per hour. I went from a full charge to under 20% in a 2 hour flight, and even took a couple of 10 minute breaks.
    This certainly feels like my experiences prior to the AU. About 35 mins navigations drained the battery from 90% to 49% and it felt like a sweet potato just taken out of the cooker. Looking forward to seeing your results.
    08-29-2016 10:41 PM
    I put my 950 on a wireless charger before and it felt like it just came out of an oven just after about 15 mins, never used a wireless charger again since.
    My wife has a 950 but doesn't complain about wireless charging.... just says it gets super hot easily when playing games and what not.
    08-30-2016 11:56 AM
    Hey guys! A brand new lumia 950 owner here (Been using it for a week now. Won the phone from the recent giveaway xD). It's an International Unlocked, Dual-Sim version 950 from the US (I'm from Malaysia). Just wanna share something to all of you regarding my experience with the 950's battery and overall performance.

Anyway, as most of the people here, I too faced the battery drain problem. Battery went down 40% with light usage in about 45 minutes (that's 1% discharge per minute!). What I did to solve the problem temporarily was to update the phone to the latest Insider build (RS2 build 14915.100 from TH2 build 10586) WITHOUT updating the apps (there was a firmware update as well), then performed a hard reset WITH NO BACKUP. Then I updated all the app, registered my mail accounts (set to sync as items arrive), set up WhatsApp, Messenger, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, OneFootball, AppRaisin, MangaBlaze (apps that I would allow to run on background normally). Location set to off, no 'Hey Cortana', Iris Scanner is on, no glance screen, and Find My Phone set to On, with the frequent option off.

With all of these settings, the battery life was sub-par, about the same as my previous 830. A full charge with my normal usage (receive and reply about 20-40 WhatsApp messages, receive 2-4 e-mails, casual Instagram/FB/Twitter/OneFootball/Win Central/AppRaisin browsing), and my phone lasted from about 7am until 3pm (phone is at 5% by 3pm). Granted, all the background apps were running as well, and that my casual browsing for Instagram alone is about 5 minutes average. So if I assume I used those respective apps I mentioned above for 5 minutes each, and browsed it around 3 session during the entire 7am-3pm observation, that means I had been actively using the phone for 2 hours and 15 minutes. I would say it's quite a medium-heavy use for me (for a more heavy use, I'd watch YouTube vids or play my music via earphones, along with doing all of the stuff above).

Also of note, my Iris Scan was blazing fast for the first few times I've used it, but gradually it got slower and slower. Also, the camera is a bit bugged, in a sense that the resulting pictures weren't nice, not up to par as what I'd seen from other users/reviewers result. It was way oversharpened, colours not vivid at all, and a bit blurry I might say (not sure how to explain the contradiction where it's sharpened yet blurry. I guess it's like some part of the pictures were oversharpened, and the other part were blurry. And no, this is not a bokeh effect as I'm taking a picture of my classroom's whiteboard). General performance while navigating through the phone were alright, I guess.

Still, I'm not satisfied with my 950's battery life and performance. As per suggested somewhere on the Internet, I did a WDRT to my phone, updated to 14915 again and then updated my apps afterwards, set up all my account the same way. This time, however, I set my mail to sync 30 minutes, disabled background activity for Instagram. My battery lasted from 12.15am, 100% fully charged, until about 7.45pm. Same usage as above except that I actually played music via earphone for about an hour as well as streaming a 1080p video for 5 minutes via cellular data. That's 19 hours 30 minutes of battery life. I'm not sure about you, but with heavy usage my phone actually lasted me throughout my day of heavy use ^_^

Now, I plan to sync my e-mails hourly instead of every 30 minutes, as well as turning off the save my location under Find My Phone. Hopefully this would gain more usage out of my phone! ^_^

P/S: Most of the time, my phone was connected to WiFi. I'm guessing that using cellular data / mobile data would drain the battery faster, and I estimate my phone to last about 14 hours with data constantly on. Just my prediction tho.

tl;dr: WDRT for better battery life, as well as turning off some background apps and sync e-mails every 30 minutes.
    agaskew likes this.
    09-05-2016 09:49 AM
    Its all very mysterious...my 950 sits on a wireless charger and gets a little bit warm, but no hotter.

My basic usage pattern:
    • Wifi and cellular at home
    • Wifi off when out and about
    • no gaming
    • some FB/Twitter
    • one Exchange email - constantly updating
    • one Gmail - constantly updating
    • Skype - work based chats going all day

The Battery app I use reports about 3% per hour discharge on average, but its been as high as 5% & as low as 1.5%. I can get from 6am to 10pm on a charge if required.

If you ignore the variable of running different windows builds, then the differences reported in heat and battery life could be due to either hardware differences, or apps. While there are certainly going to be some lemons out there, its unknown (to me) if the hardware has had any refresh during production.
    In software terms, when setting up the phone I always go through the options and never send things like diagnostic info to Microsoft. I also do not ever install FB messenger or enable motion data. Background apps allowed are a bit of a mish mash - Office apps are allowed, but things like Money or VLC or Xbox aren't.
    mark233 likes this.
    09-06-2016 08:32 AM
    This certainly feels like my experiences prior to the AU. About 35 mins navigations drained the battery from 90% to 49% and it felt like a sweet potato just taken out of the cooker. Looking forward to seeing your results.
    After a week of using my phone after the reset, I can say it is much better... but still not great. Over the weekend, I was able to get 27 hours off of one charge during light use (the last ~10 hours of that was idling). I played zero games, did not stream music, and browsed the internet for maybe an hour.

When not in use, I'm losing about 2.5% per hour - definitely a huge improvement and beyond acceptable. Very pleased with this.

When in use, though, it's still eating a lot of battery. Gets a little warm during times that don't make a lot of sense (e.g. using the News app or playing what should be non CPU demanding games).

I'm on AT&T so still using the old firmware - that may play into it.

Overall I find it acceptable, but just. Was hoping for a much larger improvement.
    09-06-2016 10:06 AM
36 12