Is it the right time to upgrade to L950?

Magikal

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi everybody.
I'm pretty satisfied with my L640 - bought it june 2015. Unfortunately MS started phasing it out since they stopped releasing firmware updates for this device.
Besides that, L640 cameras are terrible. I see L950's are starting to get dirt cheap in my country too, so I'm considering an upgrade. They have much better and capable hardware and superb cameras, compared to the L640.

So there's some questions coming to my mind:
1. Is it worth it, 1 year after the launch?
2. There's a lot of speculations about W10m future and a lot of uncertainty. Isn't it kind of risky to get an L950 these days? I mean sure it's a powerful hardware upgrade, but the software updates (both OS and app ones) are giving me some second-thoughts.
And since there's no info on any upcoming Microsoft devices this fall, not even refreshment for the 950-line, is the current L950 my best option?

P4geD0wn

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm on 950 now (1 month) coming from 930 and it is good upgrade, from 640 it should be even better. The system is no less stable than wp 8.1 IMO now, battery life is good for me, the camera is significantly better than 930 so it is probably light year better than 640. 230E that I played for it (secondhand basically new) it was definitely worth it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The software has improved a lot since launch, and the cameras are good! If there's a way you can try one, I would say why not?

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
First of all I would not say the 640's camera is terrible. It is actually quite stunning for that price!
I don't think W10M will meet an end anytime soon. I would be devastating for MS and their UWP strategy because it would send the (very) wrong signal to developers and the world.
The hardware of the 950 is really great and it's 300 € now (270 € for students). And in the german MS store you get a free display dock with your 950. I think that's an awesome deal for (not 100%) modern hardware

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Having recently done exactly the same - from 640 to 950 - I would say 100% yes, woth upgrading. I'm glad I waited, so the 950/W10M combination is now a lot better than it was at launch time, and the 950 is now a lot cheaper. You'll love the 950 screen.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
First of all I would not say the 640's camera is terrible. It is actually quite stunning for that price!

I agree, but imo, there is a downgrade in performance with the 640's camera on W10M. The picture looks passable and then the finishing touches ruin it altogether. I have a 640 myself and I have noticed the difference since upgrading for apps. It got to the point where I felt like I was choosing between apps and weaker camera or better camera and no updated apps. I chose the former, just haven't taken a picture since (on it).

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
no, No, NO! I'd never recommend anyone get a 950, at least based on the sum total of my experiences with the device. In fact, I have a hard time resisting the urge to smash it to pieces against the edge of a table, LOL. If you really want a W10M device save some money for the HP Elite X3 or wait for the rumored Surface Phone.

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I think now is a great time to get a 950. I just got mine after the recent price drop in the US, and I have been quite satisfied. Put it on Insider Release Preview Ring to get the Anniversary update, and you've got yourself a premium phone that is stable, has decent battery life, and has a very good camera. It is better than the 640 in almost every way, though in comparison it runs hotter and gets less battery life owing to its processor and quad HD screen. Personally, I kind of wish they had stuck with 1080p just to make the battery last longer in use, but whatever.

This is all, of course, assuming that you are invested in the Windows ecosystem. If you're not, you might prefer a price competitive Android phone, on the assumption that you will get more long lasting support and more apps. Who knows what MS has in store for W10M consumers? Something? Nothing?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I jumped on the 950 bandwagon as the prices fell to 299 ? at the Austrian Microsoft Store and now I'm very happy with it. For that price it is hard to find a comparable android device especially if you want a good AMOLED screen, dual sim and a very good camera. Now you get very much bang for the buck with the 950!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To me, the 950 is not worth 10-times as much as the 640. (based on the $30 I bought it at, locked to ATT) Not the best deal compared to what could arguably be one of the best tech deals of the past couple years as well as similarly priced Androids but eh. It's a solid phone in itself and I would have no issues with it if I wanted a Windows Phone. The hardware is still fine.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
To me, the 950 is not worth 10-times as much as the 640. (based on the $30 I bought it at, locked to ATT) Not the best deal compared to what could arguably be one of the best tech deals of the past couple years as well as similarly priced Androids but eh. It's a solid phone in itself and I would have no issues with it if I wanted a Windows Phone. The hardware is still fine.

Interesting comment.

anon(5590893)

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I would never recommend the 950 to a friend. The phone is highly unreliable. All works great for some time but then it gets hot again and the battery is empty within a few hours (when being not used). Lately I had problems with wifi stability. There are too many negative points for a recommendation. Is it the software or the hardware? I don't know. The only good thing is that I didn't pay the initial price.
I miss my 920.

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, I picked up the 640 for $30 to use as an mp3 player and W10M test bed. I'm still astonished at how good that phone is for the price. Of course, it would be a great deal at $100, too.

And yes, the 950 will probably be chopped by another $100 before Surface Phone comes out. But you have to weigh use time, also. The way I see it, you can pay $300 for a 950 and use it for a year or two before Surface Phone comes out, and even perhaps wait for a price drop on that. If you wait for a $200 950, you're stuck with your current device for that year.

If you need a good camera for the next year, it's probably worth it. I upgraded to a 950 with 128gb of SD storage (from my 32gb 1020), and it's been smooth sailing for me on the AU. I miss the 1020 camera on landscape shots, but the 950 camera is adequate on landscapes and is far superior for *quick* snaps of kids - and the phone experience benefits from all the newer W10M software, settings, and apps.

TL:DR; versus the 640, you're paying for the camera and faster hardware (No resuming... screens). If those things are worth it to you over the next year or two, $300 is a pretty good entry price. If those things don't matter as much, the 640 runs W10M like a champ (just a bit slower) and is a very solid phone to wait things out with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon