I've had to hard reset my phone 8 times...how about you

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The hard reset feature on Windows Phone is a mixed blessing.

On the one hand, you're thankful it's there when your device barfs up on itself and you need to go the thermonuclear route and start over....on the other hand, it kind of sucks that Windows Mobile seems to barf up on itself so frequently that the reset button has to be there at all.

I've been the not-so-proud owner of a 950 for nearly a year now.

In that time I've had to perform a hard reset 8 times.

For the record, I always reset to factory settings and avoid doing a restore in case the glitch is still lurking in the backup. It's a serious, big time pain to have to set up your phone from scratch, especially if it's primarily used for business, which mine is. Even with cloud sync and being able to retrieve all my emails, contacts, messages and data it's still a couple of very unproductive and frustrating hours spent messing about.

The reasons for these resets vary. At one point the maps app refused to work. Or, more accurately, the gps wouldn't work so the map had no idea where I was. Then there's been the times when the phone would freeze or become too sluggish to use.

It's latest party trick is what I like to call the Black Screen Of Fury. It's a humdinger of a glitch and goes like this. You're on the phone, the call ends, you take the phone away from your ear and are met with a black screen...and no way to end the call. The screen stays stubbornly black for anything up to 10 seconds. The Black Screen of Fury also works very well when you try to wake your phone up. It's great fun when you need to use your phone in a hurry and find yourself pressing the power button again and again while your device switches from glance screen to pitch blackness over and over. Oh, Lumia, you old tease you...

The Black Screen of Fury is a glitch that also existed on my 1520 and Microsoft are well aware of it, but give them some space because they've only had 2 years to sort it out...

So, what have I done to help myself? Well, I've replaced the hardware and am now onto my second 950. The same problems exist on two phones from different suppliers. That doesn't totally rule out hardware as a possible issue, but it does make it less likely.

Then there's the apps. I figured maybe it's one or more specific apps that cause the issues. So I've catalogued each app as I've downloaded it, and if problems begin to surface I delete any apps I've recently added to my collection and monitor to see if the glitch continues. I'll tell you right here, having to do this kind of thing is a royal pain in the backside. Keeping track of each app and trying to figure out what you have running on your phone at the moment when it starts to glitch is a lot of homework that no end user should have to get caught up in.

For what it's worth, I'm now convinced that the apps aren't the issue. There's simply no emerging pattern that correlate's to a downloaded app and the phone barfing.

It's Windows 10 Mobile all the way.

This OS has been out for close to a year. It's had a major update. It should be leagues ahead of where it is right now.

Please don't get me wrong. This is not a Microsoft/Windows bashing post. I've used enough Android devices to know that they are the king of glitch. Even the iPhone isn't above going a bit spastic every now and then.

But Microsoft are really pushing the productivity line. They want to differentiate themselves as being the go-to guys when you need to get important stuff done quickly and easily.

Yesterday I had to find a location, create a one note, share it with a colleague and text him an address.

Instead of doing that I spent 3 hours hard resetting my phone because it wouldn't wake up.

Time Wasting 1, Productivity 0

I'm a Windows Phone fan and I'm praying to the tech gods above that the HP Elite and whatever phone Wharton Brookes or Microsoft launch does well in the market. But they have to give these devices a fighting chance with an OS that stands up to the plate and hits a home run every time, because that's what productivity in the business place needs and demands.

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a 950 xl and my wife has a 950. We have only hard reset once and that was on my 950xl as part of the anniversary update process. I'm not even positive that one was required, but I think it was. Both of these devices are the dual sim type. I'm guessing your problems may lie with some software that you are running that we are not. We have done soft resets. Fwiw

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Having recently switched podcast app and still getting the occasional glitch / spontaneous reboot / lock up I am now suspecting that the real problem is the SD memory card either the card itself or they way it is handled by the phone, either physically (dodgy connection?) or by the OS.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Having recently switched podcast app and still getting the occasional glitch / spontaneous reboot / lock up I am now suspecting that the real problem is the SD memory card either the card itself or they way it is handled by the phone, either physically (dodgy connection?) or by the OS.

It's funny you should say that, because my phone frequently tells me there's an SD card error when I switch off/on again or do a reset.

Hmmm, maybe the SD card is causing some of the issues. But I still couldn't see how an SD card issue would cause the screen to stay black after calls or when waking the phone up. That particular bug really is doing my head in. I suspect it's to do with the tap to wake, or iris scan, or glance...or even continuum, but either one or all of those screen/camera functionalities is causing the device to malfunction

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
For what its worth, a bad SD card can crash a laptop or even a Surface Pro 3, ask me how I know.

Chances are the behavior is attributed to the SD card (which I was going to ask if you had anyway) considering the fact that you replaced the phone and had the EXACT same behavior. Its not the OS and its not the core HW. It is your SD card, remove it and drive the phone without it. If you don't get the same behavior(s) and the phone is heck of a lot more stable, back up the data on that card and toss it.

Get the Lexar card: https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Profes...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3558847

If indeed your SD card causes issues. This is also a reason I am slightly against SD cards in phones in general, and MFG's should just offer large storage by default, 64GB should almost be a standard now if 4K images are a thing.

If you want to get models of trusted GOOD sd cards, go to the GOpro site and look at their approved SD card list.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Phone not waking up after a call is mostly down to weak sensors if you ask me.. Had this issue with my 635. My solution was to quickly lock and unlock the phone after moving the phone away from my ear..

tmark86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Funny you bring this all up now because I am experiencing the exact same issues with my 950. It seems to want to crash/freeze randomly and only gets worse as the battery gets below 50% which seems odd. It only started happening about 2 weeks ago and I haven't been able to correlate it with anything in particular.

I was on the slow insider program so I figured maybe one of those updates was a little buggy no big deal. I did a hard reset and restored clean like you did and got everything freshly set up. I started to notice issues the next day while using maps and it continually lost my GPS location. After about half a day's use it began crashing randomly. Black screen, I'd do a soft restart and sometimes it would have to reboot 2-3 times before it came back. Then I'd use it for 5 minutes and it would crash again. Restart and slowly open 1 different app and boom, restart again. Sometimes it would stay alive for an hour or two, sometimes only 1-2 minutes.

At times I was also getting the SD corrupted message so I removed it to no avail. I plugged in a spare smaller SD card and still it kept crashing. I tried keeping a log like you of what apps were open/installed but nothing was consistent. My GPS now barely gets a lock and my WiFi struggles occasionally.

I've now done two hard resets, one completely fresh with no restore from backup. One time I stayed on the production release thinking that maybe something in the insider updates wasn't working right but that didn't matter. Another time I updated to the Fast Ring hoping that maybe a newer update would help but no luck. To see your post with similar issues and have it just start happening a couple of weeks ago makes me think that its some software issue. I haven't replaced the phone yet but like you said, I don't know if that will help anything.

tmark86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah its funny because my whole family is rocking 3 640s, 1 640XL and 1 650 and none of them have problems. All but 1 upgraded to W10 and my expensive 950 that's supposed to be high end has all the issues.

I'm actually considering getting a spare 640 that I can swap my sim card into when I do some business where I use the PayPal Here reader. My GPS on the 950 has been hurting me because its required for credit card readers.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
This bug happened all the time with the garbage hardware of 950XL. It wasn't the sd card, it wasn't an app. It's crappy hardware. I went through 4 replacements and the MS store techs said they gets ton of returns.

I now run a 640XL (same sd card, same official release software) and yet none of the same problems. It's rather simple, the 950XL is junk.

anon(5590893)

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Just doing my fifth hard reset in six weeks. I realy have to resist the impulse to throw my 950 out of the window or give it last peace with a hammer.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, the black screen bug that seemed to disappear after the last reset has just put in an appearance again (and I've swopped out the old SD card so that base is covered).

It's either just really bad luck that I've had two phones with the same hardware fault, or W10M is causing the bug.

Either way, it's one of those major annoyances that pushes a die hard fan further to the edge of having no alternative but to find jump to another OS/hardware brand.

Shame on you Microsoft. Your Windows Phone fans deserved much more than this.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I've not had to reset the 950, yet, due to probably switching it off and on every few days or so. I've 'nearly' experienced the black screen but have, instead, just pressed the power button and left it for a few seconds thinking that the CPU is probably catching up.

somethingbrite

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
I have had my 950 since about February 2016. I can't recall exactly how stable it was that far back. However, since the last 2 or 3 official updates the phone has become so unstable it is unusable.

Issue's that I have experienced so far range from -
phone appearing to have turned itself off / not waking up. (this may be a "black screen bug" as described elsewhere.
phone ACTUALLY having turned itself off.
phone having reset itself.* (*at first I thought this may have been a post update reset taking place at an inconvenient time - and obviously requiring sim pin to complete reboot. - however subsequent observation reveals that this has NOTHING to do with any post update boot the phone actually does randomly decide to reboot itself.)
phone turning off or rebooting while in use, including during calls. Regardless of battery charge level.
phone apparently not actually charging ("soft reset" apparently makes phone accept that it is plugged in to a charger when this occurs)
phone apparently not knowing what the charge level of the battery is. (seems to occur as result of crash) phone can indicate for example 80% battery, then crash out and indicate 0% battery when restart attempted. Plugging in to power allows restart and battery is once again indicated at 80%
If "time and date" are toggled to manual the phone will lose track of time. - how much time it loses depends on how long it took to discover it had crashed or restart the phone. (I have never seen a phone do this)
massive overheating. This does not happen all the time....but sometimes when it is crashing it also burns up! (not 100% of time though)
frequently gets stuck in reboot loops once it has crashed.
frequently requires "soft reset" to actually get it to start again
often actually requires battery removal to get it to start again
often (recently) requires plugged into power to get it to start again

latest release version
no sd card installed (removing the sd card has had zero effect on stability)
hardly any apps installed. only app frequently used is their own browser (edge) - which does crash, and indeed when that happens this can also crash the OS.
phone is NOT in a case any longer. Removing the phone from its case seems to have had zero effect on stability.

Full factory default reset has previously appeared to make the phone stable for about 3 days. I am not performing full factory default resets frequently enough to know whether this was just coincidence. (because...come on! should I need to do a factory default reset and reinstall every 3 days on a phone this expensive?)

curseoftheninja

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I reset mine about 5 times before complaining to AT&T for a new phone. I switched to Android.

I miss the aesthetic and feel of 8.1, but I'm happy I have phone that actually works now.

In my eyes, Microsoft no longer gets the benefit of the doubt when it comes to phones. They will have to really sell me on the Surface phone before I buy it, but seeing all the enterprise focus tells me that it sadly won't be a phone for me. Gone are the 8.1 days of a great experience. It sucks because 8.1 OS was superior to iPhone and Android. Sigh...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
To the OP, EIGHT HARD RESETS?! How is that even worth the effort? Seriously, after about three I'd have a new phone in my pocket.

And a serious question for you; you say you're "praying to the tech gods" that Windows 10 Mobile eventually succeeds. Why on earth do you still care so much for a platform that's done nothing but cause you grief and waste your time? How? I ask this in the nicest way possible, but I just don't understand. :)

Whatever the case may be, the Lumia 950 (or at least my experience owning one) is a complete embarrassment. Microsoft deserves to have their clock cleaned in mobile for releasing this abject garbage. And I'm not talking about the flimsy case, cheap speaker or questionable battery life -- I can deal with all of this -- rather, I'm talking about reliability. Every time I pick the thing up something else doesn't work properly. The photos app won't let me zoom in on pictures or otherwise gets stuck, my Hotmail account kicks back a sync error, music is missing, Cortana crashes, maps won't load, WiFi bugs out, the list goes on and on and on.

I can honestly say without reservation that I HATE this phone, full stop. I don't even care if updates might, possibly, maybe, could on a good day fix the issues it has, I'm done, fed up, sick and tired of the BS. I think I'm going the iPhone route this weekend ... I just can't accept the 950's endless issues anymore.

With 950XL hard reset 14 times. With 640XL, zero times.

It's 1/5 the price and 5 times the flagship.

AMEN to this.

Just doing my fifth hard reset in six weeks. I realy have to resist the impulse to throw my 950 out of the window or give it last peace with a hammer.

I came *this* close (holds thumb and index finger 1 mm apart) to SMASHING my 950 the other day and throwing it in a dumpster ... so angry at this piece of junk. Curse the day I ever decided to buy it!

At this point I'm so fed up with it I literally don't even care that it could be given away to someone in need, sold on eBay or recycled; I would take FAR more pleasure in crushing it to bits and burning the leftovers so no one else has to endure this endlessly frustrating piece of trash. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I cannot for the life of me understand how Microsoft released something this bad. It's like they did ZERO testing of either the hardware or software.

I've reset my 950 loads of times. Lost count.

I'm so sorry for you ... you've got infinitely more patience than I do :).

Lastly, I apologize for all the complaining, my rant is over (for now) ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6