950 Compass is way off

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The compass on my 950 is off by 45 to 90 degrees. Is there any way to calibrate? I'm on the AU .105 with the newest firmware.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I've noticed this too, the compass rotates and all while moving but always with the offset... I'll try the calibration thing.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Is it a particular app that has this issue or all compass apps are the same amount off? If it's a particular app and not all, there may be a setting in the app to adjust the degrees +- 90.

Also, sometimes you have to wave it in the figure 8 motion SEVERAL times to get it calibrated...

I know I was pulling my hair out upgrading the compass app I wrote to UWP... The problem I was seeing is that my Surface, when almost flat, would flip the orientation from the compass' perspective, but not the screen (not sure if by design or something wrong with the internals of my surface).... drove me nuts until I realized it was just the angle I was holding it at. I almost added an option to let users adjust the degrees in 90 degree increments.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I used the Maps app extensively this week. The compass was always 45 to 90 degrees off of actual, no matter what I did to callibrate it. I thought that I was missing something on my 640 because it didn't have a compass. I think that having no compass is probably better than having a compass that is totally inaccurate.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
My 950 is fairly spot on even when showing Med. and Low as the accuracy.

I'd be curious to see what accuracy my PIP compass app shows on your device. On the bottom right corner of the screen, it displays the accuracy. If you would like to give it a try, shoot me a private message and I'll reply with a code to remove the ads for free.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I checked again after updating maps. At first it still seemed a bit off, but after doing the calibration thing it seemed to be fine, so apparently it works correctly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre