Lumia 950: First Day

danielheywood

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Yup! It should work that way. Also, if you ever press the sync now button when you open the mail app, then the timing of your email sync would be updated.

For example, say at 8.00AM sharp, you set your email to check every 2 hours. It means that Outlook will sync your incoming mails, if any, at 10.00AM, 12PM, 2PM, 4PM, and so on.

If however, at lets say at 11AM, you manually synced (or as I would call it, force sync) your emails, then instead of syncing your emails at 10.00AM, 12PM, 2PM, 4PM, etc., your emails would now be synced every 2 hours after 11AM, which would be at 1PM, 3PM, 5PM, 7PM, and so on.

This is true for me. Your mileage may vary.

Also, was wondering. How's your 950's battery life? My dual-sim variant would last more than 17 hours per day of my typical regular use, with 5-6 hours of actual use, and the others at idle. It would last about 13 hours ++ if using mobile/cellular data though :/

I decided to purchase a secondary battery from Ebay (fingers crossed that its legit), so far I haven't needed to charge it from 1pm (yesterday) to 12:57(mid day) today, a printscreen is shown below.

It's hard for me to say how much time I've used the phone, I think I've easily spent 2-6 hours on edge using wifi, then theres taking the odd picture/screenshot, talking to friends and family members on Skype, texting and phone calling during the day. I love to mess around with Cortana, asking silly questions and getting her to sing for me. The odd game to play for 10-30 minutes.

I tried using the alarm clock this morning to wake me up and it wasn't great when comparing it to the iPhone, but it clearly did it job as it woke me up.

I need to find a good lock screen picture as I've noticed that using Bing's lock screen pictures uses battery power to retrieve pictures off the internet and I'd prefer to save as much as I can!

DyFRYiB.jpg

Updated to the latest version 10.0.14393.189

Just updated the phone to the latest version and realised that Micrsoft installed News/Money onto my phone... Thanks...

I notice a lot of people use Windows Insider, but why use software thats unpredictable, unstable and is meant mainly for development purposes for the public builds. This could be the main cause why you're experiencing all these bugs and defects and I'm not.

People talk about hard resets and soft resets, I have no idea what they're talking about, but thats because I havent had to research or do these actions due to my phone working as it was designed.

(Yes I had to charge my phone due to Windows telling me it requires at least 40% battery to install).

Last edited:

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I notice a lot of people use Windows Insider, but why use software thats unpredictable, unstable and is meant mainly for development purposes for the public builds. This could be the main cause why you're experiencing all these bugs and defects and I'm not.

People talk about hard resets and soft resets, I have no idea what they're talking about, but thats because I havent had to research or do these actions due to my phone working as it was designed.

(Yes I had to charge my phone due to Windows telling me it requires at least 40% battery to install).

LOL!!! I'm sorry, but I found this part about Windows Insider to be funny. You get it (finally somebody who does!!! WOOOO!). It's what those on Insider (including me) have been trying to tell everyone. Get off Insider if you want a stable experience. You are absolutely correct. It is the main reason that so many people complain of bugs and it's because it is prelease software not meant for the general public.

I think this is a lot of people's first time seeing how coding, testing, development actually works. I think there is a lot of shock at just how unstable everything is. I think there is also some shock at just how hard coding is. It's not magical, but people tend to think that it is. I work as a programmer so I already knew about all of this before joining Insider, but it is a nightmare trying to tell everyone just how difficult it is and that yes, this really is the way things are programmed. Almost everything starts out very unstable (and some never really go beyond being almost not unstable).

Anyways, sounds like you are actually getting great battery life. I have mine setup with just about everything turned on (also on Insider Fast ring) and I still get decent battery (for example, Bing image for lock screen + glance screen, glance screen turned on, find my phone [and yes definitely save location more often! :)], sync email every 15 minutes, brightness on recommended, Cortana tile [in fact more than 35 tiles pinned most of them live], cell data wifi Bluetooth nfc and location always on [yeah I know, makes people cringe], etc). Usually have about 20% left before 10pm and start at 100% at 6am, recharge every night.

I am curious though, what's wrong with the alarm clock compared to iPhone?

Also in case you ever should have to (I hope you don't!) here's what soft and hard reset mean:

Soft reset - It just reboots the phone. hold down power + volume down until you feel the phone vibrate.

Hard reset - resets the phone to factory conditions (erases all data and apps). 2 methods -
1) settings->system->about->reset your phone (will warn you that it will wipe all data)

2) hold down power + volume down until you feel the phone vibrate. After vibrate release keys then press and hold volume down until you see the exclamation mark then release. Then press in order: volume up->volume down->power->volume down (I usually remember it by up down power down) and it will restart and you'll see cogs turning and then you will start fresh.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Btw forgot to mention, if you want to save even more battery life you can change your polling frequency. This adjusts how often your phone pings the cell tower. The downside is that if you are traveling it may not switch to the next tower as quickly due to the longer timeframe between pings. If you are in one place a lot there is really no downside. It could save a lot of battery.

The default is 3 seconds (and yes you can also set it to be quicker although I will warn you battery drain does increase, but you have more reliable signal while traveling).

Note some phones don't have this function available, but it works on most.
From phone dialer type in ##DATA# (##3282#) this should open up something called Field Test. It has a warning and you have to click accept. From there click Settings, General, Polling Frequency (which is just a drop down menu and you can select anything from 1-9 seconds, more seconds more battery life and vice versa)

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Just updated the phone to the latest version and realised that Micrsoft installed News/Money onto my phone... Thanks...

Release Preview Ring has been perfectly stable in my experience. It's just a way to ensure you get stuff like the Anniversary Update without having to wait for your carrier.

And give Microsoft News a try. It's really a terrific news reader with a lot of otherwise paid content (NYT, Forbes, etc.).

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Btw forgot to mention, if you want to save even more battery life you can change your polling frequency. This adjusts how often your phone pings the cell tower. The downside is that if you are traveling it may not switch to the next tower as quickly due to the longer timeframe between pings. If you are in one place a lot there is really no downside. It could save a lot of battery.

The default is 3 seconds (and yes you can also set it to be quicker although I will warn you battery drain does increase, but you have more reliable signal while traveling).

From phone dialer type in ##DATA# (##3282#) this should open up something called Field Test. It has a warning and you have to click accept. From there click Settings, General, Polling Frequency (which is just a drop down menu and you can select anything from 1-9 seconds, more seconds more battery life and vice versa)

This is a very good tip! Going to try it out afterwards.

Btw, what phone do you have?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I decided to purchase a secondary battery from Ebay (fingers crossed that its legit), so far I haven't needed to charge it from 1pm (yesterday) to 12:57(mid day) today, a printscreen is shown below.

It's hard for me to say how much time I've used the phone, I think I've easily spent 2-6 hours on edge using wifi, then theres taking the odd picture/screenshot, talking to friends and family members on Skype, texting and phone calling during the day. I love to mess around with Cortana, asking silly questions and getting her to sing for me. The odd game to play for 10-30 minutes.

I tried using the alarm clock this morning to wake me up and it wasn't great when comparing it to the iPhone, but it clearly did it job as it woke me up.

I need to find a good lock screen picture as I've noticed that using Bing's lock screen pictures uses battery power to retrieve pictures off the internet and I'd prefer to save as much as I can!

View attachment 130421

Yes I had to charge my phone due to Windows telling me it requires at least 40% battery to install).

As for the lockscreen image, I use NASA Image of the Day. It's free and it updates 6 days a week; usually not on Sunday and holidays. I've used it for years and the images are conversation starters.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
This is a very good tip! Going to try it out afterwards.

Btw, what phone do you have?

I have the dual sim 950xl (and loving it!). I know someone with the 950 too and we have done a lot of experimenting with it and comparing to the 950xl.

Let me know how changing the polling goes. I've messed around with it before but curious as to what your opinion will be

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Release Preview Ring has been perfectly stable in my experience. It's just a way to ensure you get stuff like the Anniversary Update without having to wait for your carrier.

And give Microsoft News a try. It's really a terrific news reader with a lot of otherwise paid content (NYT, Forbes, etc.).

I would definitely agree with this. Release Preview ring is on par with normal release for stability.

I should have specified the Fast and Slow rings are the ones that people go onto expecting stability and come away with nothing but complaints.

Also Microsoft News... Just simply amazing and works. It really is a nice app that doesn't get the praise it deserves

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I would definitely agree with this. Release Preview ring is on par with normal release for stability.

I should have specified the Fast and Slow rings are the ones that people go onto expecting stability and come away with nothing but complaints.

Also Microsoft News... Just simply amazing and works. It really is a nice app that doesn't get the praise it deserves

Well, except for the current inability to use the Share button with Facebook... but yeah, News is my number one app by usage.

danielheywood

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Here is the updated lock screen I decided to use:

cvdkUK3.jpg

I installed Uber on Lumia 950 and that application is the worst application I've ever used, it doesn't work and it even cost me money for cancelling the driver due to the application automatically deciding where to pick me up. Stupid!

I received the Amazon Premium Headphones and they work better than the Apple earbuds and seem more premium/expensive, when they are half the price of them.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I have the dual sim 950xl (and loving it!). I know someone with the 950 too and we have done a lot of experimenting with it and comparing to the 950xl.

Let me know how changing the polling goes. I've messed around with it before but curious as to what your opinion will be

Will do. I changed the poling to 5 seconds. After a few days, I'll let you know how much it affects my battery life. Again, thanks for this tip!

Btw, the warning is kinda scary tho. Almost made me changed my mind :grincry:

danielheywood

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Following my use with Microsoft Display Dock, I have noticed in Devices & Printers that its being displayed as "UNSPECIFIED", which makes me wonder if Microsoft didn't intend for the dock to be used this way...

I bring it up as in my Task Notifications theres a dialogue box that has an option to safetly remove Microsoft Display dock? Now why does that only show for the Display Dock and not any other peripherals?

rm3qwYV.png

It works fine, but it's just annoying that its not supported.

I've been using the Lumia 950 for a while now and I love it, everything I want to do is fustration free and doesn't cause any problems.

Can anyone confirm if Xbox One Controller (with bluetooth) supports Terraria? If it does I'll buy one right now!!!

It might seem like this is a complaining post, but I can't help but moan about the Mozo case, it feels like one of the buttons has "sunked" into the case and I have to press further in to activate the operation. I might get a replacement, hm.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 130421

You use insider if and only if you are willing to take the risks and actually test the software and discover bugs that can be ironed out and submit feedback on the same. It's not meant to be used on your only phone (what people call daily driver)

There are 4 types of Reset...
  • Soft Reset
  • Hard Reset
  • Factory Reset
  • WDRT

Soft Reset is holding the Volume Down & Power buttons until the phone vibrates and reboots (about 15 seconds). This reboots the phone with a cleared out RAM and Cache. No data is lost. It is good for when the phone freezes or you experience a glitch of some sort.

Hard Reset really should be a last resort. Use Hard Reset when the phone is completely unresponsive and no other method will work.
  • Power off the phone > hold Volume Down > press Power > keep holding Volume Down until you see the exclamation (!) screen, then immediately release the Volume Down
  • Now tap Volume Up / Volume Down / Power / Volume Down
  • You should see the spinning gears and your phone will reflash the last OS version held in recovery. You do loose data, but get your phone back. Sign into your Microsoft Account and restore your backup during the set up.

Factory Reset is Done through Settings > About > Reset your phone (8 & 8.1) or Settings > System > About > Reset your phone (W10M).

• You should see the spinning gears and your phone will reflash the last OS version held in recovery. You do lose data, but get your phone back. Sign into your Microsoft Account and restore your backup during the set up.

In case of Hard Reset & Factory Reset the phone goes back to the exact version you were running when you performed the reset.

WDRT For right now, Windows Device Recovery Tool is only flashing 8.1 to models that did not launch with 10 so it is the way to revert if you don't care for W10M: Windows Device Recovery Tool FAQ

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

I tried that code but nothing happened. Is it region specific?

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I tried that code but nothing happened. Is it region specific?

It's specific to the ROM as far as I can tell. There is a trick that somebody else suggested, but have not tried it myself:

Try this... Download the old MS app folder app from the 8.1 days. Open it, create a folder and then you should be able to scroll through your app list to add apps to the folder. If you go down to the F listings, you should see FieldMedic. Try and see if this lets you access it this way...

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
It's specific to the ROM as far as I can tell. There is a trick that somebody else suggested, but have not tried it myself:

Try this... Download the old MS app folder app from the 8.1 days. Open it, create a folder and then you should be able to scroll through your app list to add apps to the folder. If you go down to the F listings, you should see FieldMedic. Try and see if this lets you access it this way...

And just tried it, it does work. The app is titled App Folder in the store (by Microsoft Mobile). And the app in the app list is called Field Test (some might have it labeled Field Medic), once you add it you can click on the icon and it opens the same thing as ##DATA#. Let me know if it works

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
And just tried it, it does work. The app is titled App Folder in the store (by Microsoft Mobile). And the app in the app list is called Field Test (some might have it labeled Field Medic), once you add it you can click on the icon and it opens the same thing as ##DATA#. Let me know if it works

Downloaded app folder, create new folder, add apps - but no field test or anything of that sort :straight:

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, I must say that after changing the polling frequency to every 5 seconds, I've noticed only a small gain in battery life extension. Although it's not that much, but I could tell that this by increasing the polling frequency further, the battery life could extend even further. But I must say, I do notice a bit of a slow down when using my 4G LTE data for browsing. It wasn't too drastic, but it is noticeable.

But so far, 5 seconds has been good, and I may keep the settings in this way for longer.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Downloaded app folder, create new folder, add apps - but no field test or anything of that sort :straight:

Check in Settings -> System -> Storage -> This device -> Apps&Games if Field Test is installed on your mobitel.
On mine L950 code ##3282# does not work, but since Field Test is installed on my version, I got it to open via App Folder app.

56z6Dxr.jpg
This is how it looks on my (EMEA NL-CV) version.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb