Messages coming in as from a new user when contact already exists

critta71

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problem I am having when receiving a new sms/message. Since the latest update when I receive a message from an existing contact its starting a new message thread even though there already is a thread for that contact.
will try explain better
I have been receiving messages from people and they are all there under the messaging area. But now I am get two threads from the same person with all new messages going into the new thread and the old messages remain in the old thread..

os build::: 10.0.14393.189
Believe its only happened since phone updated 2 day ago.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I haven't noticed that though there have been 2-3 people reporting on the same
Is message backup on and is your main account syncing okay?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed this issue on SOME contacts when I remove an old sykpe account that they no longer use (been on skype since before MS bought them)

critta71

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I don't have it syncing to anything. And I don't use message backup that I am aware of.. Started straight after last upragde.
I checked contacts and they are only listed once.. Did think maybe duplicate contacts had been created hence thinking coming from 2 different people..
I never play around with setting or try load things I shouldn't. Basically I run updates when ever they come along and just use it more as a phone and some internet browsing.. don't use a lot of apps.. So its weird.. I could imagine it becoming a serious issue for people who rely on it for work/business..

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
go to your people app tap the "..." in the bottom right corner and tap settings....you'll see if your contacts are linked to any account... which your ms account (outlook.com) should be among them....

If there is nothing there.... then I have no other suggestion beyond a hard reset....

critta71

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I have noticed that for some contacts the threads ae ok. Messages are coming in and going to the original thread. So its weird. I understand a hard reset may fix it and appreciate the advice.. But seems a little drastic at this stage. I will persist a little longer and hope it gets fixed or an answer comes up soon.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
ok, well, this error came back after i accidentally linked 2 different contacts and unlinked them.

did a backup, hard reset, and restore and all is well again

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed that for some contacts the threads ae ok. Messages are coming in and going to the original thread. So its weird. I understand a hard reset may fix it and appreciate the advice.. But seems a little drastic at this stage. I will persist a little longer and hope it gets fixed or an answer comes up soon.

for the contacts where the message threads have forked, do the contact numbers have spaces or do they look different? Like one contact thread shows the number as 07123456789 and the other shows +2547123456789? +254 is my country code

There are 4 types of Reset...
  • Soft Reset
  • Hard Reset
  • Factory Reset
  • WDRT

Soft Reset is holding the Volume Down & Power buttons until the phone vibrates and reboots (about 15 seconds). This reboots the phone with a cleared out RAM and Cache. No data is lost. It is good for when the phone freezes or you experience a glitch of some sort.

Hard Reset really should be a last resort. Use Hard Reset when the phone is completely unresponsive and no other method will work.
  • Power off the phone > hold Volume Down > press Power > keep holding Volume Down until you see the exclamation (!) screen, then immediately release the Volume Down
  • Now tap Volume Up / Volume Down / Power / Volume Down
  • You should see the spinning gears and your phone will reflash the last OS version held in recovery. You do loose data, but get your phone back. Sign into your Microsoft Account and restore your backup during the set up.

Factory Reset is Done through Settings > About > Reset your phone (8 & 8.1) or Settings > System > About > Reset your phone (W10M).

• You should see the spinning gears and your phone will reflash the last OS version held in recovery. You do lose data, but get your phone back. Sign into your Microsoft Account and restore your backup during the set up.

In case of Hard Reset & Factory Reset the phone goes back to the exact version you were running when you performed the reset.

WDRT For right now, Windows Device Recovery Tool is only flashing 8.1 to models that did not launch with 10 so it is the way to revert if you don't care for W10M: Windows Device Recovery Tool FAQ

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
incorrect... wdrt works fine on native Windows 10 devices, including the 950, as I have used it twice already. Did you copy an paste this from somewhere?

Actually, yes, as ambassadors we have some default replies we can post- let me change this :smile:

wendyhines

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
Yes I am having the same issue very frustrating . I have tried deleting new threads but then get a message that I need to keep so have stopped deleting them. Wondering if it's an issue with iPhones as all the messages I text to and receive are from iphones

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Are we talking about the Skype preview here.

If so and the person you are chatting to (Texting) is a Skype contact, add their phone number to their profile, it will integrate the messages with their main profile.

wendyhines

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
No I don't have Skype on my phone. I have also checked and some contacts are linked to facebook and some are not. This is very annoying especially if you are having a conversation via texting as I have to keep going back to other thread .Wish I could get some answers.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I think this is still perhaps a lingering issue related to the migration of outlook.com. MS really screwed that up. I've seen this same problem and it began when the migration happened. I'm sure you've seen dozens of people stating they lost all of their contact pictures as well.

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I've had this happen to me since the Windows Phone 7.x days. Not frequently, but enough for me to know that's it's not an isolated incident.

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I think this is still perhaps a lingering issue related to the migration of outlook.com. MS really screwed that up. I've seen this same problem and it began when the migration happened. I'm sure you've seen dozens of people stating they lost all of their contact pictures as well.
I've had one contact that this has happened with and this has been my assumption. I also lost my Groups and Outlook contact photos. Thing sucks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb