950 SS or 950 DS ?

frav

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Lumia 950 before it disappears from the market. Just help me with one thing. SS or DS? What?s the pros & cons between them? The obvious pro for DS is the dual sim (That I can have use for.). But does it consumes more power or are there any other disadvantages or advantages that I should consider ?

Thank you in advance.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Not much of a difference in terms of power consumption, but I do reports from others on this site that the DS version seems to face more problems compared to the SS version, and I'm not sure why. I own a DS 950 myself, and so far it's been a smooth ride.

The only cons for the DS version imho is that, since I don't have a second sim and thus leaving the 2nd sim slot empty, the notification bar kept showing that icon which indicates "No SIM detected in Slot 2". That is very annoying. Wish MS would give us the option to disable that icon from displaying, coz after a month of using this phone, I certainly don't want to be constantly reminded that my phone's 2nd SIM slot is empty!! :angry:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
All you should consider is:

1. Do you want one SIM slot or two?
2. Is there any price difference? I don't care personally so I'd get whichever is cheaper, all else being equal.

frav

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I can have use for two SIM slots.

The price is approx the same + -, but it is fluctuating on daily basis. At the moment i have found shop where the DS is cheaper than the SS.

I found one difference more, that the DS has LTE cat4 150Mbps & the SS has LTE cat6 300Mbps. But that probably dosent matter for me.

frav

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
So i finally decided to place an order. I went for a Lumia 950 DS White. Hopefully it will be delivered before the weekend.

I also placed an order on a Mozo back cover (WhiteLeather/SilverCradle)...and...two black MOFi RUI Series Flip "Leather" Wallet Case...
...and two spare AC-100E USB-C chargers.

So a small "investment" this wednesday. I hope it will replace my L930 & L830 in a good way.

Now I just need to find a USB3.1 FastCharge car USB-C charger.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
DS devices are always better, as you wont know when you will find the need of using a second sim and then you have to arrange for another device. But also DS devcies drains battery a little faster, because a dual sim device will need to contact 2 different service networks. If one of the sim cards is out of the service area it will constantly search for a network response. It will also depend on how far away each sims network tower is. The further away the more power your device will use.

The choice is all yours, there is always something good and bad in everything.

frav

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I understand that. Of course two SIM cards with their electronics will consume more power than one. I'll have to see how it affects the battery time.

According to the tracking, the phone was sent from UK/London 21:16 last evening. Arrived in DK/Copenhagen 05:39 this morning & in SE/Malm? 07:16. So it will probably be delivered during the afternoon today. Nice with fast shipping.

frav

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
15:03 today the white 950 DS was delivered. Less than one day after the purchase.

The phone started up with French as default OOB wizard setting & France as default country.
Model: RM-1118_11242
CV FR
h/w rev.:2.1.6.2
10586.11 as pre installed OS version. (Old shelf phone?)
Made in Vietnam

So now it first will be a full charge, WDRT f/w-check/f/w-upgrade, Aniversery upgrade & factory reset after that. Then let the fun begin :)

I also have a Samsung Pro MicroSDXC 64GB UHS-I (Class 10) 90 MB/s that will be installed in this device.

frav

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Delivered with f/w 01078.00027.15506.02014 , now in progresss of WDRT downloading (2.68GB) and updating to 01078.00053.16236.35016 , and the WDRT OS version is still on TH2, 10586.13169 it says.

The label on the backside says: 059X4S7
http://www.lumiafirmware.com/ser/RM-1118/guid/059X4S7

The CV / Country Variant. What does that practically mean? Is it just that the software is defaulted to a specific language & country OOB? Or does it affect anything else since I don't live in France or use a French operator?

Ordered from Sweden to Sweden, delivered from United Kingdom & CV=FR. What a mix :)

patters98

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
It was determined I think on here that the Dual SIM model only supports up to LTE Cat4, where as the Single SIM supports Cat6 (the fastest LTE speeds). If you live in a big city this will probably have a meaningful impact on your data speeds, especially over the future lifespan of the handset.

EDIT - oops, I had missed user frav's mention of this above.

frav

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Now I just need to find a USB3.1 FastCharge car USB-C charger.

Searched alot to find out what USB Type-C 3A car charger to buy. Microsoft itself dosen't offer any. Strange.... Finally I placed an order on two "Tronsmart CCTA Car Charger", that seems to be blessed by Benson Leung, who have helped Tronsmart to develop version 2 of this charger to meet the USB-C Standard.
https://www.amazon.com/review/RX4U3...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3568055

Tronsmart CCTA Quick Charge 3.0&Type C Car Charger | Tronsmart

frav

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Today I got my two Tronsmart CCTA car chargers. They look nice OOB. Haven't tested them yet.
Tronsmart CCTA Quick Charge 3.0&Type C Car Charger | Tronsmart

Earlier this week I bought four Samsung Micro USB Connector - USB Type-C to Micros USB. EE-GN930BWEGWW. Seems to work well.
https://www.cyberphoto.se/info.php?article=EE-GN930BWEGWW

I also have purchased two Microsoft original USB-C CA-232CD cables.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...%2Fsv-se%2Fstore%2Fb%2Fwindows&token=TKDJFtyh

And two Microsoft original AC-100E USB-C wall chargers
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...v-se%2Fstore%2Fb%2Faccessories&token=LHuVVmT2

So now I have bulked up with USB-C charging gear. :)

So far I am very satisfied with the 950 DS . It gives me approx two days on a charge. Nice format & weight + very well working. It fels like I should have bought it a long time ago.

frav

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I got my Mozo back cover today. 950BWSWN . White Leather / Silver frame.
Back cover for Lumia 950 (white) ? Mozo Accessories

The first one I got have had some production misstake when mounting the leather. So I got it replaced with a new one that is as it should be.

And I who liked the originlal look of the phone. With this back cover the phone both looks & feels amazing, more solid. What a nice upgrade :) I think I have to buy a spare one, or two... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077