Speed comparison L640 vs. L950

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I always liked battery life of my l640 even after w10m update there was enough power to run through the day... I usually charge my phone every night so I don't need a 3-4 days megaphone, if you know what I mean. For me it's important that it won't die in the middle of day - and as I said before, I email a lot, do some office staff, surf the web and some phonecalls... that's what I need it for. And for me it's also important that lumia phones always sync all the emails (outcoming, incoming, etc) with my laptop, and other phones like android or iOS doesn't...

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
In terms of battery life I would like to give one example: I also use iPhone SE and with my usage I usually end each day with around 3-4 hours SOT (iPhone & l640). With iPhone 3-4 hours SOT means about 40%battery less, so when I unplug it in the morning and use it through the day, in the evening there's about 50-60% still Available. With lumia 640 same usage consumes about 10-20% more so at the end of the day it still shows about 40-50%...
so I wouldn't go below this score which is ok for me (if there are any unexpected situations I still need power!)

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Battery life IMO is about the same. The 950 does have wireless charging out of the box so mine sits on a charging pad when at my desk.

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by adigawi
If you could compare a real life usage to the attached image...?
attachment.php

attachment.php

I know it doesn't have to be very accurate, but if true, then 640 is 30-40% better in browsing and talking.... don't get me wrong- I just want to make sure that this phone is what I'm looking for and what I need for my daily work and fun...
I bought 950 online, so still can return it if it won't meet my requirements (I hope it doesn't happen... :) )

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Unscientifically I would not say the 640 is 30-40% longer lasting in my daily usage. The above comparison would need to be carried out on 2 handsets with the same OS, apps, settings etc to be accurate. The benefits of the 950 over the 640 (speed, screen, camera, wireless charging, continuum, etc) will make you happy!

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I agree with you- each phone runs different versions of system which makes probably the biggest difference! I decided to swap from 640 to 950 with 100% confidence so hopefully will be very satisfied:)))))

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I have both. The display and the camera is not even comparable.

For websites and general operation, I suspect the 3GB of RAM is more responsible than the processor, but who knows.

They really aren't in the same league though.

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
So... my first impressions are great. 950 is much more snappy than 640 probably in all aspects. I nearly can't see this magic spinning or flying dots when loading any app or page etc. It's still very early for official verdict, probably need 2 or 3 more days until everything will settle but first day makes me feel very optimistic...:)

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
So... my first impressions are great. 950 is much more snappy than 640 probably in all aspects. I nearly can't see this magic spinning or flying dots when loading any app or page etc. It's still very early for official verdict, probably need 2 or 3 more days until everything will settle but first day makes me feel very optimistic...:)

Good news. It gets better after a day or so - so much background stuff going on. I will say, though, the 950 seems to complete all of that stuff much faster than any other windows phone I've had.

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
So first day started with mixed feelings... phone was plugged whole night and I unplugged it at 8am. After 30min there was already 94% battery ( 3 apps update, quick fb check... and that's it) now it's 10am and it shows 84%... with 2-3min web browsing, weather check, 1 photo shot, 2 minutes news reading...

I'm sure that the phone already downloaded all necessary files overnight, also standby is quite impressive as it maybe drops 1-2% per hour...:)

So my only concern at the moment is battery when using the phone! I know it's QHD screen but 3000mah battery at the same time. I will keep watching this and see if it's better after some time.

Re overall performance this phone is a beast- there is no comparison to my previous l640!!!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Please continue to let us know how that goes for you. I'm very curious to know. I wasn't pleased with the battery life because I had to use Edge a lot to read my books. If you have to use Edge often, battery life probably wouldn't be great.

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Yes I use edge quite a lot, but also lot of emails through the day... well I can compare daily usage to my second phone iPhone se which works with the same network so coverage is always same. Today I was using iPhone more than l950 and now after 8hours I have 82% available on iPhone with 2.5hours SOT, while l950 now has 72% left with only 30min SOT... so in the first day of lumia the difference is quite noticeable!!!

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Yes I use edge quite a lot, but also lot of emails through the day... well I can compare daily usage to my second phone iPhone se which works with the same network so coverage is always same. Today I was using iPhone more than l950 and now after 8hours I have 82% available on iPhone with 2.5hours SOT, while l950 now has 72% left with only 30min SOT... so in the first day of lumia the difference is quite noticeable!!!

Oh, I forgot about one thing- lumia had also wifi hotspot active for about 30-40min... which makes a difference...:) well done lumia!

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
It takes a day or two for battery life to settle down, in my experience. I've got my 950 on Release Preview and I would say that I lose 2-3% per hour when idle.

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Mine the same when idle, 1-2% per hour, only working with the phone worry me a bit as then it drops every % quite fast...! But I know that I shouldn't even mention that first day...!:)

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
now noticed this post, I think you made right decision in getting it, I try not to keep many pages in Edge open, and I also customized Battery Saver (which apps to run in background or not, or let windows manage it) you'll also adore how fast usb type c charging is also. what you can do also, when home or around wifi, change data speed from 4g to 2g, and change to 4g only when you want to use ur mobile data, you can pin cellular & sim settings to start for easy access.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro