Oh Lumia 950 how I missed you

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Despite my gripes above, I still prefer it to the alternative IOS and Android options. I am probably going to jump back into the Insiders program in the next day or so too. I came out of the Insider program due to issues with photos and Outlook, and I have similar (but not quite the same issues) on the production ring, so as I'm not much better off in the production ring, I may as well jump back in and have the latest builds once more (or maybe the release previews, rather than the very latest builds).

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Despite my gripes above, I still prefer it to the alternative IOS and Android options. I am probably going to jump back into the Insiders program in the next day or so too. I came out of the Insider program due to issues with photos and Outlook, and I have similar (but not quite the same issues) on the production ring, so as I'm not much better off in the production ring, I may as well jump back in and have the latest builds once more (or maybe the release previews, rather than the very latest builds).

I have always been curious with the Insider Programme, but to be honest, I am not keen on testing new builds anymore, I am happy to wait until they are released and supposedly stable or in a status for mass use.

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I was in the Insider Program for a long time, but ducked out a couple of weeks ago and reverted to the latest 'proper' release as it all got pretty buggy.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I have always been curious with the Insider Programme, but to be honest, I am not keen on testing new builds anymore, I am happy to wait until they are released and supposedly stable or in a status for mass use.

The official anniversary update is buggy as hell too though, so I probably wouldn't be much worse off as an insider.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I have been looking at some of the rumour sites in preparation for tomorrows MS event and I am interested in hearing what they have to say. TBH I have very grave doubts they will point anything at Windows Phone (whatever form that takes).

With the Surface 3 now in operation right now as I work and my 950 playing some tunes behind me, I have realised one thing, it is W10M and the Lumia 950 that has brought me back to Windows. For the past 1- years I have been working on Apple products and the 950 enticed me back.

I won't ever get a Windows laptop but cansee myself with a Surface Pro if I like the way the Surface and Mobile goes in the future. But, I have to be honest too, if MS **** up W10M and we only get crappy 3rd party handsets in the future, I will not stay with any MS products, so for me, the future of their mobile phone plans is the deciding factor of me investing in their other products in the future.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I've just solved my 'I need a second mains adaptor' problem. As my 950 came with a free Display Dock I've opened it up to have a look, with no intention of using it, and I done a mains adaptor in there. Now I have one for my office and one for the house. Also I have left the Display Dock in my office so if I can get a VGA to HDMI cable I might try it out.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
All I need now is a spare micro USB cable and plug to put in my office to use for the Surface 3 to save keep pulling the one from the house out.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
A week into my second round of owership of the Lumia 950, and I am loving it more than I did last week. I am loving both the phone and W10M. Yes it's not perfect, but then neither, in my opinion, is iOS/iPhone or Android/Various Handsets.

I can pick holes in any of the options out there. I am also really enjoying using the Surface 3 and not once have I pined for my iPhone or iPad. I still use an iPhone 6 for work so I have the 950 and iPhone 6 being used in tandom and the iPhone is meh!

I think people focus too much on what phones can't/don't do instead of what they can do, and does that functionality meeting their needs. There is too much 'longing' for the next thing.

What I am doing now is seeing if I can swap my use of Evernote for Onenote as Evernote's UI is awful on W10M and the moment and Onenote looks lovely. On the Surface Evernote is much better. So I am doing to reseach and testing into Onenote and if it can meet my needs.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
MS Edge is such a nice looking browser. I absolutely hated Google's Android offering there UI looks some childish. Edge might have its own issues, I don't know I probably don't use enough functionality to know, but as a browser its really nice looking, it displays webpages beautifully (my experience so far) and it syncs bookmarks.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Nice to hear that. Keep it coming.
I have the same experience where my Surface 3 and Lumia 640 work beautifully together.

I'm using OneNote now. The benefit is that not only it syncs between both devices, I can access my notes from 'ANY' browser using OneNote online.

Try it out and you will like the continued experience of it.

Let me know how you think

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
OK now this is really cool. I have just been working on a Word document on my Surface 3, the document is saved in a folder on Onedrive and the folder synced to my Surface. I have just put some music on the Surface and taken my 950 to the sofa opened up the Word document on to it and continued typing. The Word document is still open on the Surface and I have just walked over to my Surface to change the music and realised that it has updated everything I have just typed on my 950 onto the document on the Surface. That is bloody awesome.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I love this 5.2" screen, it is so easy to type on. The 4" and 4.7" screens were never quite big enough my hands felt squashed together. The my old Nexus 6P was just to impractical for me as an actual phone, it was too big but I did like the larger screen. I think that 5.2" - 5.5" is the perfect range for me. I would like to have had a play with the 950XL out of interest by no one stocks it anymore, I'd have to buy one. The colour and contrast is gorgeous on the 950 too, I really like it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so others will prefer other phone screens.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I don't like this Windows Central App, it doesn't let me type paragraphs, it just bunches the sentences into one long paragraph. Very annoying.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Someone commented earlier in this thread that they've found the 950's signal quality to be poor and inconsistent. I'm finding quite the opposite at the moment. My 950 is getting strong signal everywhere I've been and in the usual bad spots, including my house, it is out performing my work iPhone 6 completely. Both phones are on the same network, and when the sim card which is now in my 950 was in my iPhone it had poor signal in my house. I'm surprised and pleased that just by changing handset I have drastically improved my call signal and reception. I'm finding the call quality to be excellent too.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
The call signal is better in phones without metal body. So, there are many benefits of polycarbonate body, but it seems customer prefer metal body. Then often they put cheap silicone / plastic case over it ;)

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I want to test out the GPS quality of the 950. I am about to take up running again and in the past I've used Nike+ on iOS, now I've got the 950 I am limited to Runtastic.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
My 950 has just linked with my Jaybird X2 Bluetooth headphones and all functionality works, ruddy awesome. Sadly my fantastic Bowes & Wilkens Over Ear headphones lose the volume control via the remote, apparently this only works with iOS, boo.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
There are quite plenty fitness apps in the store. Runtastic is one of them. You also have active fitness, Fitbit, Band, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett