Debating getting another 950

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Hey all. So I've had some 950 and XLs before and always seem to have went back to iPhone. I finally got the 7 plus and boy what a disaster. From the coil whine to no headphone jack to the awful new home button I hated... long story short I returned it. I also ended up getting a 4k dell xps 15 for $1999 which is an incredible machine with specs higher than a $3400 MacBook pro. After waiting for the new MacBook pro when they were announced I realized that Apple threw a big finger in the air to their customers and I am done with apple. My wife and kids can use their idevices to call and communicate with me through Skype. Anyway I m now using an unlocked PRIV which is a cool phone that I've used before as well but the Google ecosystem is just not my thing. I don't like their information selling business model. I also use like 3 apps. Feedly amazon and this one.

What I miss most is the camera of the lumia series.

I Take lots of pics and nothing comes close.

My question is this... does it make sense to buy a 950 with a student parent discount at $359 including the dock from msft directly? I will most likely set up an extra monitor in the kitchen and use the Internet with it and the dock while having breakfast and my morning coffee.

Is the phone still worth it. Especially at $359 with dock?

Again I am using priv but I don't use Google anything. I use LIVE for exchange and calendar, office for work and onedrive for everything important.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Is the battery situation OK? Also the last time I had a 950xl I remember the camera having issues and hanging up when shooting multiple pics saving to SD card.

I suppose that the price is right and this may be a great time to get the free extras. Who knows how long it'll stay in Stock.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I was at the Mall of America Microsoft Store (Minneapolis/ St. Paul/ Bloomington, Minnesota, USA) and was told that the free continuum dock offer with purchase of 950 or 950XL isn't currently available.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I was at the Mall of America Microsoft Store (Minneapolis/ St. Paul/ Bloomington, Minnesota, USA) and was told that the free continuum dock offer with purchase of 950 or 950XL isn't currently available.

I just ordered it from Microsoft website. Using student discount came out to 359 with the dock included. Confirmation shows both the phone and the dock.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I came back to the 950 also 2 weeks ago and got the 950 with dock for $399 at the Microsoft store in Bridgewater mall in NJ USA.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes possibly website only deal at this point. I plugged in my kid's first and second grade school and it gave me the 10% student discount (parent discount) so it worked out well. Excited to get the phone and get going with it. I remember never being able to find a good slim case for it and always having the cheapo ones come loose in the top corners. I ordered a new brand of the same design case along with 3 tempered screen protectors so keeping fingers crossed it will work out good. I am going to rock the 950 side by side with the priv for about a week and if I dig the 950 like I think I will then I will be shipping the priv back to blackberry. It is unreal how a week old phone with the 808 using android can be this jittery. I barely have any apps installed on it :(

Very strange behaviors. What is funny though, is how most people (including myself) just simply take those jitters and stumbles and figure oh well its part of the ecosystem, but when it comes to windows stumbling now and then somehow that's unacceptable. I guess there is some sort of a double standard there, which I caught myself using!

I am hoping to have good luck using the 950. We shall see! I really want to give the Elite x3 another go (I did week one day one when HP released it prematurely and it was just too buggy for every day use so I sent it back). I just can't rationalize the price, with my main concern being the camera. It is a lovely lovely phone though. I may just may get the itch one late evening and pull the trigger on that.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm just curious what you do for a living that enables you to just go around buying all these machines. :p

But anyways, the 950 family has a much worse reputation than they deserve. The design might be a little uninspired, but they work and perform really well. The 950XL is still the fastest 810-series phone around I believe.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I know my 950 performs very well and I don't even use this phone to the fullest of it's capabilities. The design might be uninspired, but the internals are what matters and this phone is a pleasure to use. Plan to have it for the foreseeable future.
Now that the Alcatel Idol 4 is officially coming to TMO, I may just have to use my plan if this phone is worth it.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I was actually considering moving to Android due to some apps that I have started to use not being available for W10. And, some other ones that I need for work also not being available.

I bought an LG G4 to try out, because it has similar size/specs to the 950. After about a week, I just couldn't do it. Android drives me nuts, and I just don't feel like dealing with it as a daily. And, as noted, the 950 camera is great.

So, back to the 950. I picked up another LG which was really inexpensive just to use those apps when I need to, but I just can't really see replacing the 950 with anyting else at the moment.

ps - as I type this, there is a picture of Hillary Clinton in a bikini looking right at me at the bottom of the page. I am not offering any political comment whatsoever, except for some things should be illegal.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I wish I had the same experience with the 950 that you all had. Mine (my 2 950s) were anything but stable. It pushed me over the edge.

Before you hit the ground over the edge you fell from, when was the last time you used the 950? Just wondering if it was early in the WM 10 bugs; etc.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm just curious what you do for a living that enables you to just go around buying all these machines. :p

But anyways, the 950 family has a much worse reputation than they deserve. The design might be a little uninspired, but they work and perform really well. The 950XL is still the fastest 810-series phone around I believe.

I am in the car business and have been for years. Started with sales, but been in management for years now (General sales manager as well as Used car manager positions). I've been blessed and the business has been good to me. I don't really go out or have many other hobbies or bad habits (anymore) except tech.

I will be buying the Idol 4s the day it comes out lol.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I've spent most of this afternoon setting it up and love it. No issues at all. What an incredible difference between now and just a few months back! I updated all the apps, updated to newest build, hard reset and set up from scratch. Battery is great. Camera rocks obviously and everything integrated perfectly. I applied a glass screen protector and actually am loving using it without a case. Priv is going back. When the idol comes out I will use side by side with the 950 and decide which I'll be keeping then.

Thanks for the encouragement!

P.S. I chose the regular free shipping and Microsoft overnighted me the phone!
The dock is coming tomorrow 2nd day shipping. I'm in Chicago and phone shipped from Tennessee, dock from east coast. Vet satisfied with ms.

DaHardhouse

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 950 last Friday, Oct 28 '16, at the Vegas Microsoft store. The dock came with it.

The staff let me try it out for an hour or so, with me getting a nano SIM card activated by my Montreal provider, then testing MMS sending/receiving, and Band app working. So far so good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05