Freezing and crash to home and messaging app query- Help?

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I bought a brand new Lumia 950 from the Microsoft store. I have been using it as my daily driver - however, over the past week or two, the phone has been frustrating the life out of me and I am seriously considering returning it and going back to another brand unless I can solve this once and for all.

Sometimes, when I unlock the phone using the pin, the phone is frozen. I can't scroll up or down, open apps, nothing. I have to then lock the phone using the button on the right hand side, press it again, re-enter my pin and then it usually works. That, in itself, is the most frustrating thing... but that's not all.

Sometimes, when I open an app, it will go back to the home screen, as if you've pressed the virtual Windows key. So I have to re-open the app.

That was on the 'normal' ring. I went onto the preview ring - same thing happened. I've updated to the fast ring - same issue. I don't know how much longer I can cope with this, this kind of thing just didn't happen on iOS and i'm shocked it is happening on W10M.

And my final question is: On my Windows 10 desktop PC, I have the 'messaging' app. I was under the impression text messages should sync from your phone to that app. Is that not the case anymore? My text messages don't sync and to be brutally honest, that was a huge selling point for me, so I can respond to text messages via the messaging app.

Thanks in advance guys!

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
That was on the 'normal' ring. I went onto the preview ring - same thing happened. I've updated to the fast ring - same issue. I don't know how much longer I can cope with this, this kind of thing just didn't happen on iOS and i'm shocked it is happening on W10M.

Hopping on to windows insiders is never a solution to bugs and issues affecting your device on public build. You could invite more bugs to party that way.

have you updated all your apps and Installed all the Os updates . did you perform a hard reset after installing all the updates?
the issues that you have mentioned are more prominent on insiders build than those reported on production build which i have never come face to face with. So for stable and reliable performance roll back to official public build.

Is that not the case anymore?

is this happening after you jumped in to windows insiders program?

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I'll go back to the public build.

No, I was unable to sync messages with the Messaging app even before I tried the insider program.

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I seem to have hit a brick wall. I went to the Microsoft website, opted out of Insider Builds and tried out Opt out on my phone. I get the option to 'Take a break' and it will let me turn off insider updates for 7 days only. It will not let me completely opt out.

How do I return to the latest public release?

Thanks

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I seem to have hit a brick wall. I went to the Microsoft website, opted out of Insider Builds and tried out Opt out on my phone. I get the option to 'Take a break' and it will let me turn off insider updates for 7 days only. It will not let me completely opt out.

How do I return to the latest public release?

Thanks

there should be a small link underneath to opt out of the insider permenatly (looks like its grayed out a bit) and then it should take you to a website to permanatly leave, once you've done that then you will/should have to restart your device and then you should be out of the preview builds forever... or you might have to use the WDRT program to restore your device to normal factory settings.. I know your phone is giving you a bit of trouble but stick with it and I'm sure it will get better! I have a L950XL and I just got my GF a L950 and both are working GREAT. so try not to get discurouged :wink:

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, i've been to the website and opted out of insider builds, but my handset only gives me the option to disable it for 7 days. I think I need to use the WDRT software - i'll give that a shot!

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
huh? your device was supposed to come with usb-c to usb cable that you connect to your computer and then perform the WDRT restore... if not then I suggest picking one up from a store somewhere...

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
huh? your device was supposed to come with usb-c to usb cable that you connect to your computer and then perform the WDRT restore... if not then I suggest picking one up from a store somewhere...

Sorry, just edited my post. Having a terrible day... Looked in the box and the cable was there!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos