Goodbye Lumia 950...

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't think it would be a problem since it's a replacement phone and starting from scratch. I could see doin this on my other 950 since I've always used the insider updates. I'm gonna cook some bacon and chop them up and put them in the pancake batter...and it'll be magical.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Most of the die-hard 950-950XL users that STAY with the most current Insider Fast Ring build are on Windows 10 Mobile build 14965 Discussion (Redstone 2; Fast Ring)
I don't think I've EVER seen so much pain from those guys than on this current build 14965. About all I can do is lurk and occasionly console or give a possible troubleshooting tip. But I just don't ever have any problems with my ICON. :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Sportster

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by captaincalamity
im currently considering, ditching my note 5 for a lumia 950. i use my dell windows 10 tablet more and enjoy using it more than the note, im not a heavy app user, apart from spotify and viber. i guess software developers dont support windows phone anymore, but overall is the 950 a good windows phone, last one i had and loved was the 930, live tiles and pin to start i miss.

I feel the Lumia 950 is great. Ya there random boots at times and the likes. Up to you though if you want the phone. :)

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Again though, on the issue of apps;

A lot of people make a big deal out of the app-gap, but they never take into account how people relate to apps more broadly speaking. Nielsen reported that while app usage has gone up, the amount of apps used per month barely moved from 2012 to 2014. In addition, most users spend most of their time in only 5 apps. A fair amount of apps are either downloaded and never used or downloaded and uninstalled the same day.

So really, I think a lot of this has to do with perception. The perception to a lot of people is that they think they need this vast amount of apps available to them when in fact they still only use a handful regularly, and only a few more intermittently. I've thought about this quite a bit, and I'm still stuck wondering what else I want my phone to do which only exists on Android or iOS. For me, daily usage is;

- check mail
- check messages
- check calendar
- check weather
- use Edge

weekly adds;

- check facebook
- check exercise app
- use Groove Music
- use Wallet
- use One Drive

So I'm literally right on average in terms of app usage, with only about five apps per day, and those apps exist on all platforms. The extended used apps also exist on all platforms. I've had conversations with people about this, where they declare that the platform is dead because there aren't enough apps, and I explain that all of what I want to use is available on W10M, and they try to explain to me that there are apps that I want to use that don't exist.... but they can never tell me exactly what those apps are!

So again, I think there's a disconnect between a general public perception of the apps available and the actual need of the individual. At this point, there would have to be a pretty great app that I'm missing on W10M in order for me to consider giving up the benefits that it offers.

In terms of app quantity and general availability this may be true, although there will always be gaps. However this misses a key factor that is vital in the user experience and that is the quality of apps. Unfortunately some of the W10M apps are plain awful, and this is made worse by the fact that there aren't so many to choose from.

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I've just returned my Lumia 950 today... In the past 5 days, i've had the following issues

• Apps crashing to home screen - Whatsapp is notorious for this. You can be typing a message and it crashes out. Absolutely awful user experience. Believe me I hate Android with a passion but on Android it's stable. On iOS it's stable. W10M? Very unstable. It wasn't just Whatsapp - Viber crashes, Outook crashes etc
  • You cannot simply take a photo and send it via email (as mentioned in this thread). You have to take it, view it, let it finish "applying finishing touches" then go back to your email, attach it... in a word: disgraceful. I was willing to let it slide, but it's just a massive oversight from Microsoft. How they thought this was acceptable I don't know.
  • VPN - W10M has stopped VPN providers being able to set up a VPN connection. Spoken to a VPN Provider I pay for and they said Microsoft are "working on a fix" - no expected date to fix it. Again - terrible.
  • I wasn't going to mention this because I don't want to flog a dead horse, but the app situation. It's worse than ever. No gumtree. No eBay. No indeed/total jobs app. Amazon app is quite bad. No snapchat. Instagram crashes unlike its rivals.
  • I'm going to be that guy who slates continuum so if you're a hardcore W10M fan, please don't be offended... I bought my L950 on the back of continuum - I knew about the app gap, i've has a Lumia 920 on launch - I know what W10M is about. Continuum, I thought, would be fantastic. In short: it's not. The concept is great but it's fiddly - lots of cables required; you can't access apps that haven't been given continuum compatibility. It's something that will probably work in another 2-3 years of development - right now, it feels like a BETA. I just found myself going back to my laptop/desktop because it was easier and used less cables.
  • Windows Messaging - iOS has the ability to use iMessage on the Mac and it syncs your iMessages. It's a truly wonderful user experience and I was expecting Microsoft to sync SMS messages with the 'Messaging' app on Windows 10. Unfortunately, you have to use Skype to do this? I tried for weeks and struggled to get the damn thing to sync. In short: it's an utter shambles and Apple have made Microsoft look like total amateurs.
  • Outlook app on iOS / Android looks 1000000000000x better than on W10M. WTF Microsoft. Get. It. Sorted!!!! Arghhhh. How can your first party app look better on a 3rd party device? No excuses. It's downright stupid.

I could go on, but you get the point. The camera is fantastic, as is the virtual keyboard. I also think that the quick charging is fantastic - but the user experience is dire because of the points I listed above. I bought a Lumia 920 on launch and I remember all my friends being interested in it - asking whether they should buy one and asking me what Microsoft had in store. I remember thinking that the Lumia 920 had a long, long way to go to improve usability but it seems that Microsoft haven't made much progress since 2012.

I really hate to say this as a long-time Lumia fan/supporter - but iOS trounces W10M in every single way. The OS is 10x more stable. It's almost as if Microsoft don't pump any money or effort into W10M anymore. As an end user, I feel that Microsoft just don't care.

And i'm going to make a wild guess now - If the Surface Phone comes out - it will flop. Just like the HP X3 hasn't had massive success. It's not about the spec of the phone, as much as it's about the user experience. Until W10M is on par with Android/iOS, W10M will continue to see slow/declining sales. And I say this with a lump in my throat: Microsoft could have made something special - but their big acquisition of Nokia was a terrible move and I can't see how they're going to turn this ship around... I honestly feel like W10M is dead.

And i'll end by saying this. I had to return my phone via a UPS drop-off point. The girl working there said she had a Lumia too. I told her I was returning mine because of x amount of problems, including app crashes. Her eyes LIT UP. She said she had the exact same issues and she will be buying an iPhone 7 soon. Nuff said. Microsoft should have known that in the mobile market you get 1 chance, maybe 2 if you're lucky. If you don't make people happy with your brand/product they will move elsewhere. It's very sad... very sad indeed. Thanks to everyone who posted back with workarounds - I appreciate it. The Windows Central community is by far the best community out there. It's a shame we've all had to put up with this treatment. Cheers guys...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I've just returned my Lumia 950 today... In the past 5 days, i've had the following issues

<snip>

I really hate to say this as a long-time Lumia fan/supporter - but iOS trounces W10M in every single way. The OS is 10x more stable. It's almost as if Microsoft don't pump any money or effort into W10M anymore. As an end user, I feel that Microsoft just don't care.

And i'm going to make a wild guess now - If the Surface Phone comes out - it will flop. Just like the HP X3 hasn't had massive success. It's not about the spec of the phone, as much as it's about the user experience. Until W10M is on par with Android/iOS, W10M will continue to see slow/declining sales. And I say this with a lump in my throat: Microsoft could have made something special - but their big acquisition of Nokia was a terrible move and I can't see how they're going to turn this ship around... I honestly feel like W10M is dead.

And i'll end by saying this. I had to return my phone via a UPS drop-off point. The girl working there said she had a Lumia too. I told her I was returning mine because of x amount of problems, including app crashes. Her eyes LIT UP. She said she had the exact same issues and she will be buying an iPhone 7 soon. Nuff said. Microsoft should have known that in the mobile market you get 1 chance, maybe 2 if you're lucky. If you don't make people happy with your brand/product they will move elsewhere. It's very sad... very sad indeed. Thanks to everyone who posted back with workarounds - I appreciate it. The Windows Central community is by far the best community out there. It's a shame we've all had to put up with this treatment. Cheers guys...

I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you, but I would say that you gave it a fair shake. Really interesting that you met someone else with one too. In my experience, that rarely ever happens. I wish you luck with your next device, and maybe you'll be open to trying something else down the road. It's a bummer that the experience seems to be so varied with the 950. :/

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you, but I would say that you gave it a fair shake. Really interesting that you met someone else with one too. In my experience, that rarely ever happens. I wish you luck with your next device, and maybe you'll be open to trying something else down the road. It's a bummer that the experience seems to be so varied with the 950. :/

I think the girl at the UPS drop-off had a 640? It had a white back cover but it seemed smaller than my 950. Not entirely sure if i'm honest! But she's the only person i've seen with a Windows Phone. Everyone else I know uses Android or iOS. It's a huge shame because there was a lot to like about the 950 - my Flickr is full of photographs i'd taken with it. The quick charging was a blessing too! But the constant app crashes, keyboard disappearing and freezing was too much for me to handle on a regular basis. If those issues were gone and the VPN worked, i'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I honestly feel like W10M is dead.
Thanks to everyone who posted back with workarounds - I appreciate it. The Windows Central community is by far the best community out there. It's a shame we've all had to put up with this treatment. Cheers guys...
Reading through this thread/forum post has been very informative and I have learned a few things, I have not noticed any of the issues raised and if I did I really would be upset, odd how some folks get a really rough ride and others don't, the main reason I bought the phone was for the camera and sharing the images etc, I knew the app issue would be a problem but I was prepared to accept that, no VPN wow, that really is terrible, Reading this thread has given me concern actually and has made me consider my future but for now I am happy with my L950, I want 1 more year from my phone, might even hesitate and stay on .448 until I read reports on stability, then update 3 or 4 weeks later, then again it might be pot luck (or bad luck) who gets silly glitches and issues, this brings me onto a question>>
If I was to stay on .448 would this affect updating the apps as and when there are updates for them? I might stay on .448 for the next year avoiding anything nasty and getting the 1 year from the phone.
anyway I wish the OP all the best and thanks for a great post under such circumstances.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
In terms of app quantity and general availability this may be true, although there will always be gaps. However this misses a key factor that is vital in the user experience and that is the quality of apps. Unfortunately some of the W10M apps are plain awful, and this is made worse by the fact that there aren't so many to choose from.

PLUS:
There's a big gap: all the bank apps, all the store apps, and more bailing out every day. When outfits like Ebay and Amazon dump an OS, a LOT of people consider that a LOT more than just a little ole 'inconvenience'.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Reading through this thread/forum post has been very informative and I have learned a few things, I have not noticed any of the issues raised and if I did I really would be upset, odd how some folks get a really rough ride and others don't, the main reason I bought the phone was for the camera and sharing the images etc, I knew the app issue would be a problem but I was prepared to accept that, no VPN wow, that really is terrible, Reading this thread has given me concern actually and has made me consider my future but for now I am happy with my L950, I want 1 more year from my phone, might even hesitate and stay on .448 until I read reports on stability, then update 3 or 4 weeks later, then again it might be pot luck (or bad luck) who gets silly glitches and issues, this brings me onto a question>>
If I was to stay on .448 would this affect updating the apps as and when there are updates for them? I might stay on .448 for the next year avoiding anything nasty and getting the 1 year from the phone.
anyway I wish the OP all the best and thanks for a great post under such circumstances.

Thanks Rosebank. You can actually test the VPN now - if you've got the anniversary update installed, download 'Hotspot Shield' which is a free VPN and also has a paid option. When you try to run it, it will not start the VPN. This is because whatever Microsoft have done in the Anniversary update has stopped 3rd party VPNs being allowed to run. It's shocking that Microsoft release these updates without so much as checking them to see if they stop any functionality. Stopping a VPN from working entirely seems to me like they've either messed up, or really tightened up their security.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Rosebank. You can actually test the VPN now - if you've got the anniversary update installed, download 'Hotspot Shield' which is a free VPN and also has a paid option. When you try to run it, it will not start the VPN.
I tried it and yes, it fails to work. I think you might need to actually input the VPN settings manually into the Phone, the apps clearly are nothing but garbage... you would need to obtain the VPN settings from the provider then insert them, No clue if it would work? sadly I think the chances are they wont?? :-(

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It's a bummer that the experience seems to be so varied with the 950. :/

I've noticed this too. It's as if these devices were put together with some kind of schizophrenic assembly line lol.
...My 950 just chugs along day in and day out with no harrowing issues. It's disappointing to see some users get ahold of a Lumia Lucifer. :-/

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I've noticed this too. It's as if these devices were put together with some kind of schizophrenic assembly line lol.
...My 950 just chugs along day in and day out with no harrowing issues. It's disappointing to see some users get ahold of a Lumia Lucifer. :-/
I've got the feeling that it's MOSTLY people who got involved with the Insider Releases and then bailed out. I hear them say Nah that's not it I went back to the Anniversary Release and its buggy too. Well , ..."DUHHH!!!" How bout a Factory Reset? OH NO! No one wants to do that its too much bother.

So I lurk and I laugh and I'll contribute a tip when I can, but there's a LOT of machismo goin' on with those guys. Ain't no gittin' around THAT!

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I've got the feeling that it's MOSTLY people who got involved with the Insider Releases and then bailed out. I hear them say Nah that's not it I went back to the Anniversary Release and its buggy too. Well , ..."DUHHH!!!" How bout a Factory Reset? OH NO! No one wants to do that its too much bother.

So I lurk and I laugh and I'll contribute a tip when I can, but there's a LOT of machismo goin' on with those guys. Ain't no gittin' around THAT!

I was thinking this - but I did soft resets. I did hard resets. I erased the phone. I also downloaded the Windows Recovery Tool and downloaded and re-installed W10M. I still got the same issues so I decided enough was enough.

dnbrealm

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
You are right to leave the Lumia, I've had numerous reboots and crashes but unfortunately I've got no choice to hope future builds make the phone better.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I was thinking this - but I did soft resets. I did hard resets. I erased the phone. I also downloaded the Windows Recovery Tool and downloaded and re-installed W10M. I still got the same issues so I decided enough was enough.
I didn't mean to rule out the genuine, right off the assembly line, quirky 950/950XL(s) . There is a lot of bad units out there. What in the world is Microsoft DOING?
I wanted a 950XL so bad but couldn't cause I'm stuck with VZW so "I" bailed to Android. (In keeping with, "Even when I lose, I win.") lol But I still got my absolutely no problems Sportster ICON :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win. :winktongue:

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else have a problem taking a pic and the phone shuts completely off? I may WRT and go to slow ring, which I've done before because of glitches with the fast ring. Or wait a little longer and buy the idol 4s to use with att.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99