Goodbye Lumia 950...

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed this too. It's as if these devices were put together with some kind of schizophrenic assembly line lol.
...My 950 just chugs along day in and day out with no harrowing issues. It's disappointing to see some users get ahold of a Lumia Lucifer. :-/
Agree. I believe people are having issues and feel lucky I am not. I'm on slow ring and enjoying this device to the fullest.

Sent from mTalk

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Good choice. I'm going to make a move myself soon. uber app crashes, right after you call an uber car. It logs you out. Then it doesn't let you log back in. I even uninstalled and installed the app again during this time period. no luck. You cannot see who your driver is or which car they drive until someone arrives with their car and yells your name.

If you do not use your phone for uber of course this doesn't bother you. Since you do not use uber on you windows phone it doesn't bother uber developers as well. If you are a vanilla smart phone user, yes this is the perfect phone for you.

Also i forgot to mention, one note, it has been 6 updates. And it still doesn't sync... :)) such an echo system, nothing is in sync.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Anybody else have a problem taking a pic and the phone shuts completely off? I may WRT and go to slow ring, which I've done before because of glitches with the fast ring. Or wait a little longer and buy the idol 4s to use with att.
The Idol won't give you the imaging prowess you're accustomed to with the Lumia but it's a far better device as far as performance is concerned and the speakers will impress you like no other phone. Plus it's drop dead gorgeous. But get a case, it's a fingerprint magnet of the first order.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Good choice. I'm going to make a move myself soon. uber app crashes, right after you call an uber car. It logs you out. Then it doesn't let you log back in. I even uninstalled and installed the app again during this time period. no luck. You cannot see who your driver is or which car they drive until someone arrives with their car and yells your name.

If you do not use your phone for uber of course this doesn't bother you. Since you do not use uber on you windows phone it doesn't bother uber developers as well. If you are a vanilla smart phone user, yes this is the perfect phone for you.

Also i forgot to mention, one note, it has been 6 updates. And it still doesn't sync... :)) such an echo system, nothing is in sync.

No I'm not an Uber user, but I understand that if it's important to you you need it to work well. If I had these types of needs I would probably stick with Android.

Sent from mTalk

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
It's a bummer that the experience seems to be so varied with the 950. :/

I think the fact that it is so varied points to the OS probably not being the issue, and neither the phone. We can confirm some issues, such as how to send an image one just took via email/sms, but if some people don't have the same problems on the same version of OS etc then the issue lies elsewhere. So while I understand that it's super-annoying that the keyboard freezes, if it doesn't freeze for me then clearly the problem lies outside of my version of the OS and apps.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Anybody else have a problem taking a pic and the phone shuts completely off? I may WRT and go to slow ring, which I've done before because of glitches with the fast ring. Or wait a little longer and buy the idol 4s to use with att.

So you're on the fast ring?

People should be required to use a sig or place the version they're using somewhere where everyone can see them. It's of essentially no use to report issues without defining hardware and software versions.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I was thinking this - but I did soft resets. I did hard resets. I erased the phone. I also downloaded the Windows Recovery Tool and downloaded and re-installed W10M. I still got the same issues so I decided enough was enough.

So, just for the heck of it I actually looked at some of the issues you reported before, and I found this:

Screen too bright - maybe I'm the only one who feels this but for me, the screen is blindingly bright, even on the darkest setting. If anything, this is why I'll probably sell the phone on. I keep getting headaches. Again, like iOS, we need a brightness slider. Not a % or darkest/brightest button - the lack of logic from Microsoft astounds me.

There are probably more things but for now, if that was sorted, I'd be extremely happy!

Ok, so first of all when I set mine to 0% it's definitely dimmed. Like, in a dark room it's usable, outside impossible. So if your phone was "blindingly bright" at 0% then there's something wrong with it. I have no idea what, but something isn't working the way it should.

Secondly, I've had the slider available since day-1. I just pull down the whateveritscalled from the top, press and hold the screen brightness tile, and it takes me to the "Display" page of the settings. At the very top is a slider that adjusts level from 0 to max. So, again, I don't know what's going on with your phone, but if you've done a minimal bit of research on such a basic setting you'd have seen it was available, and if you did and can't find it, then something is very, very wrong with your phone.

Incidentally, long-pressing on any of the tiles/buttons takes you to the respective settings-entry for that function. I have the Wi-Fi "tile" there and press-holding it takes me to the "Wi-Fi" page in settings. Easy and convenient, and actually intuitive.

So, none of the above is meant to criticize you, just point out that you either got a spectacular dud of a phone, or you inadvertently did something to it that damaged it, or you're misunderstanding how parts of the phone is used. When users miss features or misunderstand functionality or get on the fast ring without disclosing it or some other way end up with a "non-official" setup and then subsequently post their frustrating experiences then it all adds up to an image of a basically disastrous phone. I'm not saying I don't find some omissions bizarre, or some issues annoying, but the complaints I see really make me suspicious. It can't possibly be the case that so many users have experiences that are truly as bad as the words they use and I don't even have half the issues they describe. It just makes little sense to me.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think the fact that it is so varied points to the OS probably not being the issue, and neither the phone. We can confirm some issues, such as how to send an image one just took via email/sms, but if some people don't have the same problems on the same version of OS etc then the issue lies elsewhere. So while I understand that it's super-annoying that the keyboard freezes, if it doesn't freeze for me then clearly the problem lies outside of my version of the OS and apps.

It's a fair point, but there are a good number of users who have had random restarts (myself included), even with the AU update. Just like how there are a number of users who never experienced that either. I hope for better stability to come, and no I never joined any Insider rings.

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Second week after I got the phone, it restarted in the middle of a phone conversation! There's nothing more shameful then this for a 'phone' when it was Nokia, vital parts of the 'phone' was basically bulletproof. I only got this phone thinking it's going to be better, much better than 8.1. So far this is a joke. I can't say a single app that I have no major problems with.
Keyboard become so bad. Why is it so slow?? In every single app it is slow. at this very moment it is slow. 8.1 had the best keyboard among every platforms. Ipad/iphone/android they all become better. But with windows 10 it's going worse. Why? This is bad management, nothing else.

Brandon Hobart

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Tbh it would probably be best to look for a deal and then buy the phone so you can give it a test run ��
Yeah, you are right... But if the mobile is faulty, it does not come up instantly during the trial period. The fault always appears once after you have paid for it and then you keep on running behind the manufacturer to fix it or return it.

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I've got the feeling that it's MOSTLY people who got involved with the Insider Releases and then bailed out. I hear them say Nah that's not it I went back to the Anniversary Release and its buggy too. Well , ..."DUHHH!!!" How bout a Factory Reset? OH NO! No one wants to do that its too much bother.

So I lurk and I laugh and I'll contribute a tip when I can, but there's a LOT of machismo goin' on with those guys. Ain't no gittin' around THAT!

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

Nope, no insider builds here, this is a vanilla device. And it refuses to shut down.

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
So, just for the heck of it I actually looked at some of the issues you reported before, and I found this:

Ok, so first of all when I set mine to 0% it's definitely dimmed. Like, in a dark room it's usable, outside impossible. So if your phone was "blindingly bright" at 0% then there's something wrong with it. I have no idea what, but something isn't working the way it should.

Secondly, I've had the slider available since day-1. I just pull down the whateveritscalled from the top, press and hold the screen brightness tile, and it takes me to the "Display" page of the settings. At the very top is a slider that adjusts level from 0 to max. So, again, I don't know what's going on with your phone, but if you've done a minimal bit of research on such a basic setting you'd have seen it was available, and if you did and can't find it, then something is very, very wrong with your phone.

Incidentally, long-pressing on any of the tiles/buttons takes you to the respective settings-entry for that function. I have the Wi-Fi "tile" there and press-holding it takes me to the "Wi-Fi" page in settings. Easy and convenient, and actually intuitive.

So, none of the above is meant to criticize you, just point out that you either got a spectacular dud of a phone, or you inadvertently did something to it that damaged it, or you're misunderstanding how parts of the phone is used. When users miss features or misunderstand functionality or get on the fast ring without disclosing it or some other way end up with a "non-official" setup and then subsequently post their frustrating experiences then it all adds up to an image of a basically disastrous phone. I'm not saying I don't find some omissions bizarre, or some issues annoying, but the complaints I see really make me suspicious. It can't possibly be the case that so many users have experiences that are truly as bad as the words they use and I don't even have half the issues they describe. It just makes little sense to me.

I'll explain it a bit better because i've probably not explained it well enough in another thread. I *did* see the slider setting - what I was saying was, the Lumia 950 has a drop down menu where you can select 0, 25, 75 and 100% brightness. At night, even 0% is too bright. W10M doesn't have night-mode unlike iOS and android - hence the reason i'm saying even 0% is too bright when it's pitch black outside/inside the house. The slider IS available on W10M if you go through a series of menus. What I was saying, is that the slider should be there by default on the first drop-down menu - not hidden away. It's just....well, stupid. It's a really dumb decision for Microsoft to not have it on the initial drop-down menu.

If you have an iOS 10 device with the lowest brightness and night-mode on, then the Lumia 950 on 0% - the Lumia will be much brighter. That was my point. But that wasn't really enough to make me return the phone. I had numerous issues with the OS itself that forced me to return the handset.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The Idol won't give you the imaging prowess you're accustomed to with the Lumia but it's a far better device as far as performance is concerned and the speakers will impress you like no other phone. Plus it's drop dead gorgeous. But get a case, it's a fingerprint magnet of the first order.

Yeah, I checked it out at two and was the t?tts, though there was no music to listen through the speakers. For that price too! The camera was slow when I was snapping shots but its new and will probably get fixed.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
So you're on the fast ring?

People should be required to use a sig or place the version they're using somewhere where everyone can see them. It's of essentially no use to report issues without defining hardware and software versions.
I sent the suggestion in already and searched for similar but didn't find anything close to mine.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I checked it out at two and was the t?tts, though there was no music to listen through the speakers. For that price too! The camera was slow when I was snapping shots but its new and will probably get fixed.
Using the standard camera and auto settings, I have experienced no slowness when using the Idol 4S camera.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I have given this phone a fair chance - approx 6-8 weeks use and i've found it to be nothing but trouble. App crashes happen approx twice per day, when I take a photo, hit the share button and send via email, I get a blank email (hasn't attached picture even though it said it had). There were a number of other issues I managed to resolve using a combination of soft resets and re-installing the OS from scratch.

Out of those, the one that is leading me to say goodbye to the Lumia 950 is this bug whereby you take a photo, hit share, share via your hotmail/outlook account and when you send the email, it hasn't actually attached the photograph. This happens to me continuously and it makes me look incredibly unprofessional if I send an email to a recipient and the attachment hasn't actually been attached.

I'm really furious right now - this email issue has been happening since I got the phone. I will very, very reluctantly have to move to another OS now. I'm very much anti-android so it looks as if there's only one choice for me now. Very disappointed with Windows 10 Mobile - it could be so, so much better. I can only hope Satya pulls it together or they hire someone who can.

This is a nice option. This is my S7edge Windroid:

Screenshot_20161129-155812.jpg

:winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
This is a nice option. This is my S7edge Windroid:

View attachment 132407

:winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

The S7 is supposed to be good. I've just bought myself an iPhone 6 as my replacement for the 950 and I have to say... it's unbelievable speed-wise. I can navigate around the OS rapidly, I can close apps much quicker than I could with the Lumia.

Believe me guys, I wanted to love my Lumia 950 - I really did. In fact, I went out of my way to love it. This forum is fantastic and the members are really supportive and try to help you overcome any issues you face.

I would return to W10M when the OS gets on the level of Android / iOS. If you ask me, Satya needs to get the Surface Phone out with solid software - stable, fast, responsive; intuitive menus etc. If the OS looks "nice", is fluid and apps didn't crash, no random reboots etc The Surface Phone has a good chance. If Microsoft could then do what Apple do, and launch a Surface Phone "2"....then "3" etc; effectively emulating how Apple do their lineup, there could be a serious competition on the cards. But who knows, maybe i'm living in dreamland. Before any of that can happen, Microsoft need to get basic features like VPN apps working, stop apps crashing and get more popular app developers on board e.g Snapchat etc.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Heh wait for two years that phone may be slower due to to many OS upgrades that cripple the device. That why ill never go back to iOS learn it from my iPod and same with my iPad. Glad to know I left that behind.

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I forgot to mention Facebook events do not sync to the calendar anymore. Happened last week or something. Must be just my device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs