Goodbye Lumia 950...

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I'll explain it a bit better because i've probably not explained it well enough in another thread. I *did* see the slider setting - what I was saying was, the Lumia 950 has a drop down menu where you can select 0, 25, 75 and 100% brightness. At night, even 0% is too bright. W10M doesn't have night-mode unlike iOS and android - hence the reason i'm saying even 0% is too bright when it's pitch black outside/inside the house. The slider IS available on W10M if you go through a series of menus. What I was saying, is that the slider should be there by default on the first drop-down menu - not hidden away. It's just....well, stupid. It's a really dumb decision for Microsoft to not have it on the initial drop-down menu.

If you have an iOS 10 device with the lowest brightness and night-mode on, then the Lumia 950 on 0% - the Lumia will be much brighter. That was my point. But that wasn't really enough to make me return the phone. I had numerous issues with the OS itself that forced me to return the handset.

Ok, but again then, shouldn't we care about the words we use and how we express ourselves? I mean, in light of recent events it sure seems we've reach a point where words no longer really matter.

I bring this up because people read forums like these and people's opinions and the cumulative impression is what counts. So when you're saying "the screen is blindingly bright, even on the darkest setting" you're just flat-out wrong about that. It's quite dim. Nobody had any clue that your point of reference was in a pitch black environment. On top of that, you express yourself as if it's an absolute. You get headaches because it's blindingly bright, yet I have no problem with the brightness at night if I need to check something real quick. It's simply not an objective problem, it's subjective.

Same thing when you talk about the slider. Someone reading your post will think there is no slider. Period. And it's not "a series of menus", it's the drop down menu + long press. I told you that already. So again people will think you have to navigate like a madman to get to the slider, when that's not true.

Sorry for being picky about this, but it really annoys me when people omit important information and exaggerate just to vent, because other people will take it either literally and/or get a cumulative incorrect impression.

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
mattiasnyc - fair point. I didn't intentionally want to mislead anybody whatsoever and I hope i've clarified the issues I had with the handset. Cheers.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I have my Lumia 950 for a week now, have no problems whatsoever. Email app working perfectly, camera too, etc. But then i said to myself "Why not read the whole thread and see what bugs people report it here and try to see if my L950 will do the same. Since some bugs have similar nature i group that as one bug, so i kinda collected 20+ bugs. Guess what? my Lumia 950 was working perfectly in those situations. I am experienced smartphone user, I have build once upon a time ROMs for Windows Mobile 6.5.x, so i pretty much know how to stress test a new smartphone.
Believe me or not, i haven't found any bug so far, except double-tap to wake the phone sometimes is snappy and fast, some times it took half a second or so to wake, but i cannot write that down as a bug.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I personally find that apps are nice, but that a well designed website suffices in a lot of cases. After all, if it properly adapts to the form factor it should be fine if it's fine on a desktop, as an experience I mean. Perhaps I'm missing something.

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
when your hands are usually full, at an airport going through security for example, you want an app fast and reliable. after the iOS/android craze they stopped putting a lot of effort on mobile websites. I just want to open the app, check in and get my boarding pass. with a mobile website, you have to remember your user name, log in, press 10 buttons, etc. Well this has been the point to the app development in the first place in smartphone era :)

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
when your hands are usually full, at an airport going through security for example, you want an app fast and reliable. after the iOS/android craze they stopped putting a lot of effort on mobile websites. I just want to open the app, check in and get my boarding pass. with a mobile website, you have to remember your user name, log in, press 10 buttons, etc. Well this has been the point to the app development in the first place in smartphone era :)

Ever heard of bookmarks? Have Edge save your password and pin the tile. Instant Windows Mobile app - ghetto style.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I personally find that apps are nice, but that a well designed website suffices in a lot of cases. After all, if it properly adapts to the form factor it should be fine if it's fine on a desktop, as an experience I mean. Perhaps I'm missing something.

This is a fair point.

Sadly, I think that Edge is not optimized well when it comes to battery life. For most things that you'll use the website for maybe 1-4 minutes, no problem. As for reading though for at least 30 minutes, forget it. In that case, an app helps a lot because it probably uses less resources.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
This is a fair point.

Sadly, I think that Edge is not optimized well when it comes to battery life. For most things that you'll use the website for maybe 1-4 minutes, no problem. As for reading though for at least 30 minutes, forget it. In that case, an app helps a lot because it probably uses less resources.

Not really sure I see just how Edge would drain more power than an app. I would think they'd pull the same amount of content and the display would probably show images that are roughly equal. So what else would use resources?

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Wow. One single problem, that I could not replicate no matter how many times I tried. Pic sent via email every time.

Maybe you're doing something wrong.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Not really sure I see just how Edge would drain more power than an app. I would think they'd pull the same amount of content and the display would probably show images that are roughly equal. So what else would use resources?

Edge has to reload/download the whole book (in my case) every time. With the book app, the book is downloaded once, and it auto syncs. I can't really explain it, one has to be doing the same thing as me to understand. It just drains more power no matter what. How else does one explain having three different phones with different battery capabilities performing just the same (in my case, poor) when it comes to battery life, for someone who is NOT a heavy user?

I thought that the 950 will last at least slightly past a day for me, but it doesn't. I have an Android phone (that has excellent specs for the most part) that I use the same apps on (generally) and it has the same capacity battery, along with an updated book app of course, and is also the same screen size. I was surprised to learn that it goes through an entire day and about 6 hours no problem. If I really ride it down, I can get almost 2 days. The same usage on the 950 to ride it down, it's more like a day and 6 hours. The difference is Edge.

Basically, a good mobile website is fine if you use Edge for short periods of time. If you need it for longer periods of time, battery life suffers when a good app could have Edge not be needed at all.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Edge has to reload/download the whole book (in my case) every time. With the book app, the book is downloaded once, and it auto syncs. I can't really explain it, one has to be doing the same thing as me to understand.

No, you're being perfectly clear I think. But have you measured that somehow, like metered the connection and seen the download? And also, I would think that simply sticking a book into ram wouldn't really affect battery life that much really. Are you sure the display settings are equal when using the two? I mean, I can certainly see your point and understand the logic in what you're saying, just trying to see if there's a way to check it beyond personal experience.

If it indeed is as you say then I can see how it's an issue. I do use Edge far longer than 4-5 minutes at a time, like when I'm commuting on the subway for example, or possibly having a meal by myself somewhere, but of course the amount of data pulled will depend on just what website I'm visiting at the time (and no, no dirty stuff).

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Wow. One single problem, that I could not replicate no matter how many times I tried. Pic sent via email every time.

I can assure you I was doing nothing wrong. I'm an advanced user of technology - i've actually recently sat and passed Linux exams. Attaching an email to an email is kindergarten-level stuff. It's interesting that it worked for you though, but it makes it all the more strange.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site

I think the issue that was confirmed wasn't as general as you imply. It was the case where you take a picture and then try to share it using email "too quickly" after the picture was taken. That was the specific issue. I too can send pictures via email, but that's not the specific scenario.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Funny, since that bug with sharing picture annoys me on PC with Windows 10 a few months already.

Extremely obvious bug and still not fixed!

stjeffy86

May 28, 2014
Visit site
My main issue with the 950 is that it gets really hot while doing basic tasks. The software has come a long way (via the fast ring of the insider program) but I am still missing some apps and features that I need to go back to Windows Phone full time.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
My main issue with the 950 is that it gets really hot while doing basic tasks. The software has come a long way (via the fast ring of the insider program) but I am still missing some apps and features that I need to go back to Windows Phone full time.
Trust me, it's not the 950. Every phone I've ever had with the SD808 gets hot just browsing.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Trust me, it's not the 950. Every phone I've ever had with the SD808 gets hot just browsing.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Dunno, my L950 works just fine, the only way when phone gets warm is when i play some game more than half an hour. In browsing, multitasking and social apps, i can surf a whole hour, the phone doesn't get hot. But i did manage the background tasks. For the apps i use frequently i leave the bg tasks on, for the apps i use once in a while, the bg tasks are off. Phone works perfectly and not getting hot :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6