Goodbye Lumia 950...

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I have given this phone a fair chance - approx 6-8 weeks use and i've found it to be nothing but trouble. App crashes happen approx twice per day, when I take a photo, hit the share button and send via email, I get a blank email (hasn't attached picture even though it said it had). There were a number of other issues I managed to resolve using a combination of soft resets and re-installing the OS from scratch.

Out of those, the one that is leading me to say goodbye to the Lumia 950 is this bug whereby you take a photo, hit share, share via your hotmail/outlook account and when you send the email, it hasn't actually attached the photograph. This happens to me continuously and it makes me look incredibly unprofessional if I send an email to a recipient and the attachment hasn't actually been attached.

I'm really furious right now - this email issue has been happening since I got the phone. I will very, very reluctantly have to move to another OS now. I'm very much anti-android so it looks as if there's only one choice for me now. Very disappointed with Windows 10 Mobile - it could be so, so much better. I can only hope Satya pulls it together or they hire someone who can.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I have given this phone a fair chance - approx 6-8 weeks use and i've found it to be nothing but trouble. App crashes happen approx twice per day, when I take a photo, hit the share button and send via email, I get a blank email (hasn't attached picture even though it said it had). There were a number of other issues I managed to resolve using a combination of soft resets and re-installing the OS from scratch.

Out of those, the one that is leading me to say goodbye to the Lumia 950 is this bug whereby you take a photo, hit share, share via your hotmail/outlook account and when you send the email, it hasn't actually attached the photograph. This happens to me continuously and it makes me look incredibly unprofessional if I send an email to a recipient and the attachment hasn't actually been attached.

I'm really furious right now - this email issue has been happening since I got the phone. I will very, very reluctantly have to move to another OS now. I'm very much anti-android so it looks as if there's only one choice for me now. Very disappointed with Windows 10 Mobile - it could be so, so much better. I can only hope Satya pulls it together or they hire someone who can.

were you an insider anytime? The issue with outlook has been seen/reported on current insider builds.

arielwp

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
You are totally right. I'm facing the same issue on my 950 as well.
However I don't send mail via my phone but from my computer so that doesn't bother me.
Microsoft could've done a lot better than the current Windows phone 10 OS , like you said some apps crash and generally it makes it hard to face upon iPhone or Android. I stay with my phone because it is not a closed garden like apple, and I don't like android theme , not to mention Google trying to absorb my information like crazy. I'm just waiting for microsoft to fix all the OS-relevant issues

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Many problems faced in Lumia phone 540,Wi-Fi not working and application crash ��.

It's extremely annoying when an app crashes but I can almost deal with it; but taking a photograph and emailing it is a basic function nowadays - heck, I was able to take a photograph and email it in 2011, maybe earlier. My Lumia 950 is making me look like an amateur because the recipient is just getting a blank message - no photo, nothing. I use email more than the average person and this is a big issue for me.

Mbckl

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to hear all your troubles. I can definitely imagine the embarrassment.

I haven't had that issue with my 950xl though, nor app crashes (age of empire does). I love the camera too much to give this phone up

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to hear all your troubles. I can definitely imagine the embarrassment.

I haven't had that issue with my 950xl though, nor app crashes (age of empire does). I love the camera too much to give this phone up

The camera was the main thing keeping me from returning the phone. But as fantastic as the camera is (definitely the best camera i've used on a mobile, better than many dedicated Canon camera imho) it's still so hard to overlook basic functions not working on a production build :-(

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

Not saying that you aren't having the issue you outline here, but out of curiosity I just tried taking a photo and Emailing it to myself. It worked perfectly.

Is it possible you are hitting the "share" button before any HDR processing has completed? If I don't wait for processing to complete, the photo will not zoom.... and I suspect the file may not be available to attach either?

If you can't see the subtle change in contrast / color as processing completes, just wait maybe 15-30 seconds as a test and then try attaching the file. Or try attaching a previously snapped photo. Not an acceptable solution..... there should be a message like "please wait" over the photo before it is available..... but a temporary workaround if this IS the issue?

Just a thought.....

Paul

sidtek50

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Paul, just tried your suggestion and it seems to work. The key here must be waiting for the photograph to process before it lets you send it. It's strange because Outlook let's you add the attachment and you can see it in the body of the email.

I'll try again over the next 24 hours but this sounds like it might be the issue. I think the photo needs some time to process, you can't just take it and send immediately - interesting theory. Will update tomorrow.

Thanks!!

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
This happens to me continuously and it makes me look incredibly unprofessional if I send an email to a recipient and the attachment hasn't actually been attached.

I'm really furious right now
I feel your pain and I have a 950 too, simply not good enough, not being funny but when you attach a picture within the email app does it work for you? reason I ask is because the next update might (stress might) fix this issue you are having. ?? There will be a new update on the 29th Nov or the 6th Dec....

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Paul, just tried your suggestion and it seems to work. The key here must be waiting for the photograph to process before it lets you send it. It's strange because Outlook let's you add the attachment and you can see it in the body of the email.

I'll try again over the next 24 hours but this sounds like it might be the issue. I think the photo needs some time to process, you can't just take it and send immediately - interesting theory. Will update tomorrow.

Thanks!!

This is just speculation since I have no insight into the camera app. But it seems like the app captures a thumbnail as soon as you press the shutter button. It then seems to take some time before the full resolution image is available (whether or not you have HDR enabled). If you attempt to attach a file before the full resolution version is available, the destination seems to show the thumbnail but the thumbnail never gets replaced by the full resolution file. Again, just speculation based on some observation. And if that is indeed the issue, the phone certainly should make it clear when the image is not yet available.

Paul

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
This worries me a bit, and I'll tell you why;

- I just tried to take a photo and email it, and while it's in my "sent" folder, the mail didn't even get to the recipient email.

- Two days ago, for a second time, I sent an sms that never reached the recipient.

In both of the above cases the phone responded very quickly after I hit send, implying immediate transmission, and in neither case did I get a "failure to send" notification (or whatever it would have been called).

So to me the issue is not so much that it won't send or won't attach, it's that I don't even get an error message which makes me assume it got sent when it didn't. That, to me, is the bigger issue. I'll try to figure out a way to test this.......

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by sidtek50

Thanks!!
Glad you figured this out. I don't often attach pictures to emails but thought I'd try it. It worked fine for me so I must have waited long enough. I find my 950 very enjoyable to use.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain and I have a 950 too, simply not good enough, not being funny but when you attach a picture within the email app does it work for you? reason I ask is because the next update might (stress might) fix this issue you are having. ?? There will be a new update on the 29th Nov or the 6th Dec....

This thread is making me feel like not getting a 950 and getting a 1520.

Tjalsma

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
This is the downside of having a company filled with employees developing phones and a mobile OS that don't use the product.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Thanks!!

I can vouch for what Paul said.. Have the issue on my 640/920 and 635. It has gotten to the point that when I know I want to share the picture, I head to home screen, photos app, let it load and then share the picture.

A bit of extra hassle but it saves me from going... uuuuuggggghhhhhhhh

Brandon Hobart

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks to Lord, I found out this thread before making an attempt to purchase Microsoft's latest Lumia phone. I have always used Android phones and now that I am thinking to switch Android to Lumia, you got me stumped out of that idea huh :straight:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo