Would you still buy a L950?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Just got a Lumia 950, what are some of the must have apps? Had the 1020 and 640 a few years back then switched to Android and iOS.

Microsoft would have already given you most of the "must have" apps, the rest is up to you according to your type or intended usage. What were you using on Android and iOS, look to see if they are available on the Windows Store?

yaguchi

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Well the stuff I use on there is not on the Windows phone like Snapchat, Snow, wifi webcam and bank app. Just wondering what are some of the fun apps to use on the phone. I want to play around with the windows phone for a few weeks. BTW I just got a USB-C OTG adapter, just found out Lumia 950 doesn't play with my Mac anymore, I remember I was able to use a Windows app before to transfer photos. Do I need an app or would it be a quick transfer with File Explorer?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Well the stuff I use on there is not on the Windows phone like Snapchat, Snow, wifi webcam and bank app. Just wondering what are some of the fun apps to use on the phone. I want to play around with the windows phone for a few weeks. BTW I just got a USB-C OTG adapter, just found out Lumia 950 doesn't play with my Mac anymore, I remember I was able to use a Windows app before to transfer photos. Do I need an app or would it be a quick transfer with File Explorer?

OK that makes more sense. I’m not that much of a “fun” type of guy (LOL) but if you like keeping up with the latest technologies in regards to Microsoft/Windows and enjoy reading the forums here, get the Windows Central app. If camera and taking photos is high on your list give ProShot (for W10M) a go, nice app that gives you more options over the stock camera. There are several decent photo editing apps with my favs being, Adobe Photoshop Express, Fantasia Painter and Fhotoroom.

Yeah Windows Phone utility appears to be no longer supported on the Mac if you're running W10M, there are some workarounds if you search the web but can’t vouch how well they work though. Maybe someone else can chime in since I’ve rarely had the need to connect such to my Mac and usually rely on a PC.

Last edited:

yaguchi

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I also remember using a Refocus App on the 1020 where I can select the subject to focus on. I kinda miss the fake blur thing from my iPhone 7, it's not a bid deal. Just the camera is really nice and if had the effect would be a plus.

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
And I'm back! Sold Z3 compact and bought myself L950! For only 200€ here in Croatia! I couldn't be more happier! I really missed live tiles and I saw that all the apps I used on Android, I have on Windows mobile. I'm not a gamer... And I have to say that iris scanner works perfectly, I love it!

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
And I'm back! Sold Z3 compact and bought myself L950! For only 200€ here in Croatia! I couldn't be more happier! I really missed live tiles and I saw that all the apps I used on Android, I have on Windows mobile. I'm not a gamer... And I have to say that iris scanner works perfectly, I love it!

Yeah, after having this phone for like almost 2 month...it's a no brainer. Awesome device!

Sent from my Lumia 950 on mTalk

nwnjjim

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Even coming from a Lumia 1020 the answer is a resounding Yes. The camera on the 950 is not as good as the 1020 in many ways, but it is much faster to load, shoot and save than the 1020.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I like this phone so much I think I'm finally ready to sell my Note 5.🙂 just wish W10 had Lyft app.

Sent from my Lumia 950 on mTalk

rtwright68

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
With the cheaper prices, I picked up a L950 and a dock. Win10 is definitely smoother now, and the continuum feature is pretty slick. I like to work in all technologies because of my job, so I have an iPhone/iPad for work, and I switch between a L950 and an Axon7 for Windows/Android.

I really like the L950 and outside of some iOS based apps I use, the app gap hasn't been as hard on me (my bank has an UWP App, but I rarely use it). I like being able to use continuum to run Office and connect to the many websites I use. Also, I can connect to office servers using the Remote Desktop Preview app, which works great.

We will see where Microsoft takes things, would like to see a Surface phone to go along with my Surface Pro 4, but time will tell if it really happens.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Yes
I bought the Lumia 950 couple of weeks ago when it was on sale. Bought and returned it last year when it was launched as it has lot of OS issues. Now it seems a lot better and decided to sell my android dtek60. Finally I may keep this phone till the next windows phone gets released. I hope this isn't the end of windows phones!!

Sent from mTalk

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Is the Alcatel 4s in Windows out for anything other than TMobile?

However, if I remember correctly T-Mobile will allow you to unlock a phone after a certain amount of time, so if your concern is traveling for example you should be able to get them to unlock it for that purpose. Also, I would imagine that if someone has one for sale but without their plan "following" you could be able to do the same; get it unlocked by T-Mobile for 'the purpose of travel' or whatever, and perhaps then it'd allow you to use on AT&T for example.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Yes
I bought the Lumia 950 couple of weeks ago when it was on sale. Bought and returned it last year when it was launched as it has lot of OS issues. Now it seems a lot better and decided to sell my android dtek60. Finally I may keep this phone till the next windows phone gets released. I hope this isn't the end of windows phones!!

Sent from mTalk
I hope so too, since BlackBerry stated it's death switching to Android. And I'm waiting for Surface Phone with my Z10.

yaguchi

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Definitely faster than the 1020, that was my first official flagship Windows phone that I kept. Had it on my trip to NYC and took amazing photos. Haven't had a chance to fully test out the 950 camera yet.

Joel DSO

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi @blackherrie,

I am currently thinking about getting a Lumia 950 as well, and am in the Netherlands, so I was wondering, where did you manage to find it new? All the shops I go in are only selling the Lumia 950 xl, which is just too big for me. And on bol.com they have it for around 430 EUR which is too expensive.

thanks for helping me out.

Joel DSO

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a very similar question to the original,
however, I have already decided to get a Lumia 950, but can't find any new devices, only 'used' or 'as good as new'.

My question is, would you recommend a L950, even if it is used?
How is your phone holding up after several months/ a year of use? have you noticed any kind of slow down? How often do you see the ...Resuming... screen etc? can you feel from the software/ using it that it is already a slightly older device, or does it still run smooth as butter for you?
In terms of used devices often having physical wear, I don't mind scratches, as long as they are minor, especially as I can replace the cover, and I would probably end up scratching it just as much within the first few weeks of using it.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
@299 its a steal.
Windows 10 is pretty stable now and has good features.
The Camera and screen are some of the best. but screen scaling is a bit off. i wish there was something in between 350% and 400%.
I been running 400% and it makes the navigation and address bar smaller (preferred) but the text is too small (but in app workarounds are plenty)
I rarely see the resuming screen, its just a black screen sometimes.
BTW, i have the "green" back cover, its great with the black and silver.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte