Would you still buy a L950?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I think Windows 10 Mobile has reached the point where I can recommend it to people without the caveat "But it's a bit unstable." I can see someone who doesn't have any technical knowledge of software and how it works/how to deal with bugs using Windows 10 comfortably now. It's super stable on my Lumia 830 and even Fast Ring isn't terrible on my 640 XL. I've been using my 640 XL on Fast Ring as a daily driver for ages now and I've only had a handful of bugs.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
My 950's keyboard disappeared last night. Couldn't get it back. Couldn't bing search the problem for obvious reasons. Went through menus. . Couldn't find anything. In the end, hitting power off button and logging back in fixed it.

Then my phone froze and wouldn't let me scroll. 2x Apps crashed. I'm most likely going to return the phone now. I get at least one problem per day.

How long you had this?

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Y'all making me scared I ordered this phone now.

Well you'll soon see for yourself. I get the feeling that there's something going on here beyond a 'vanilla' type usage. Because if so many people can have zero of the many issue some people have then it can't really be the phone+OS. If it is, then we'd all suffer the same issues. So either it's a QC issue with hardware being faulty, or it's an issue where people are installing apps that are poorly coded (not MS' fault) OR people are running 'insider' versions and reporting them without disclosing that that's what they're running. It's one thing to buy the phone grab all official production updates (not 'insider' ones from the fast/slow rings) and then have big problems, and a completely different issue to run the other versions.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Well you'll soon see for yourself. I get the feeling that there's something going on here beyond a 'vanilla' type usage. Because if so many people can have zero of the many issue some people have then it can't really be the phone+OS. If it is, then we'd all suffer the same issues. So either it's a QC issue with hardware being faulty, or it's an issue where people are installing apps that are poorly coded (not MS' fault) OR people are running 'insider' versions and reporting them without disclosing that that's what they're running. It's one thing to buy the phone grab all official production updates (not 'insider' ones from the fast/slow rings) and then have big problems, and a completely different issue to run the other versions.
I have wondered about the discrepancy in experiences too and have also suspected that people who are having problems are not disclosing that their phones are running one of the Insider versions.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Considering the number of people using their L950 and number of people having mentioned problems, the answer to the problem is obvious to me.

Mbckl

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Agree with some of the posts above. I had overheating issues and others when I'm on slow/fast ring. But I'm on stock standard....no issues at all.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Y'all making me scared I ordered this phone now.
Don't be, you could have a phone that would be just fine!

I have wondered about the discrepancy in experiences too and have also suspected that people who are having problems are not disclosing that their phones are running one of the Insider versions.

I would say yes and no. I was never on Insider and neither was some of the people who have posted about their issues. I think there's probably a split between the ones that did go insider and the ones who did not.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

I hear u. Most of the issues I'm seeing on THIS thread seem to be insider related if you read the comments. I'll be running the official OS so I expect a better experience.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I've been sticking with production builds since my last WDRT & hard reset around August. My phone ran mostly well until recently. The latest production build for me has been awful. I have never had any heating issues with my 950, it would warm up a little when charging but then only slightly.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I recently bought a 950 for 200 € and sold my 1020 (with shattered screen) for 50 €. I would not buy the 950 for a price like 400 or 500 € but for this price it's absolutely awesome.
I have yet to encounter any bugs and the speed and camera of this phone is really awesome. The build quality is lacking. Although I like the polycarbonate back (yes, really) the back cover is creaking and the power and volume buttons are to "clicky" and "wobbly".

But yes, that was a really good deal and I love my new 950

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
The button-issue you talk about is actually intriguing me. When I first looked at the 950/950XL in the MS store in NY I thought exactly the same thing as you. They didn't feel that great and were a bit "wobbly". Since the 950 was on sale and my Android LG G2X was borderline unusable I figured I'd pull the trigger on a new phone anyway. To my pleasant surprise my phone has buttons that are totally fine. The feel solid and not "wobbly" at all, and there isn't any "clickyness" to them that bothers me. Neither does the back 'creak'.

So all of this makes me wonder just what's going on. I mean, could it be that some are selling refurb devices without disclosing it, and that prior users handled the phones carelessly? Or is it poor QC where some batches are bad and some are good? Or is it that users just handle the phones differently and get different experiences?

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Buttons are all part of the back/battery cover, and are not fixed to the motherboard or chassis. It depends on the cover quality how they feel/behave. When you put on a Mozo manufactured back cover you get rock solid buttons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs