Continuum and L950 Embarrassing situation.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Tonight I invited friends over to watch the final of a sporting event, My plan was to watch live and share the screen on my large TV like I have been doing for the last few weeks.
My friends arrived and I went to set up screen sharing, but it failed for the very first time, everything I tried failed, it would not work the wireless display adapter and phone would not pair.
To add to the embarrassment I had to switch off my phone and that failed too, yes the phone would not switch off, ?Goodbye? was displayed for over ten mins until I forced the reset with volume down and power key pressed, 20 mins had now elapsed and my mates were mocking the phone etc, To end on a positive its now working and my guests are impressed, I just can't believe this happened the 1 time I needed it to work.
An observation, fast charging and continuum use makes for a red hot phone, I mean extremely warm, hottest I have ever felt the phone, now I have stopped charging and the heat has reduced considerably much like my red face

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like Windows 10 Mobile to me! I'm sorry it happened though, must have been mortifying, having stuff like that fail in the limelight.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like Windows 10 Mobile to me! I'm sorry it happened though, must have been mortifying, having stuff like that fail in the limelight.

I had been boasting about the phone for weeks, its just sods law, but its working very well now, picture perfect HD.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I'd strongly advise you to never Quick Charge when using Continuum. Use a charger that can supply 500mA (max 750mA) to avoid potential damage to internal parts from overheating.
I use an old Nokia 600mA charger with THIS "USB micro to USB C" adapter

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I'd strongly advise you to never Quick Charge when using Continuum. Use a charger that can supply 500mA (max 750mA) to avoid potential damage to internal parts from overheating.
I use an old Nokia 600mA charger with THIS "USB micro to USB C" adapter
You noticed the heat to @KefKef ?, yes I wont be fast charging with Continuum again, I also noticed you can get about 2 hours use from Continuum Mode, streaming from youtube to the big screen, with the phone screen OFF.

Mbckl

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Always do a test run. Don't just wing it.

You can download blackout for continuum. This will turn the phone off while using continuum. This feature will come with the red stone 2 update

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had to switch off my phone and that failed too, yes the phone would not switch off, “Goodbye” was displayed for over ten mins until I forced the reset with volume down and power key pressed
I enjoyed a similar embarrassment with bluetooth in the car. I seem to be one of the rare lucky ones with this bug, but sometimes the phone will 'half connect' to bluetooth. The car sees the phone, but not vice versa. Toggling bluetooth will fail, and shut down will leave the phone stuck on 'Goodbye'. Only a hard reboot fixes it. Of course this happens mostly when there's a passenger in the car. Sigh.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Always do a test run. Don't just wing it.

You can download blackout for continuum. This will turn the phone off while using continuum. This feature will come with the red stone 2 update
I use blackout as standard and I don't just wing it, it had been working fine for weeks. First problem I have had with Continuum.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
You noticed the heat to @KefKef ?

Yes. In Continuum the processor itself heats the whole phone quite a lot, add to that the heat from quick charged battery and you get into a potentially hazardous situation. I have THIS VoltCraft IR thermometer to check the temperature, and can tell you that they can easily go over safe values.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes. In Continuum the processor itself heats the whole phone quite a lot, add to that the heat from quick charged battery and you get into a potentially hazardous situation. I have THIS VoltCraft IR thermometer to check the temperature, and can tell you that they can easily go over safe values.

Thanks for your input, very valuable information. Potentially very important.

jimmy zamalot

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi 🙋 everybody, I switched from blackberry, blackberry priv android being my last blackberry, anyways wanted to try the Lumia 950xl, plan on using continuum.
Is there no option to shut off the screen while using continuum?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi �� everybody, I switched from blackberry, blackberry priv android being my last blackberry, anyways wanted to try the Lumia 950xl, plan on using continuum.
Is there no option to shut off the screen while using continuum?

In new insider builds. But you can get an app called "blackout for continuum". It essentially displays a black image which makes the amoled screen turn off due to how it works. To close the app you just double tap as if you were turning your screen on with double tap to wake.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs