Should I come back??

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
So I've been using the new 950 for almost a day now. Initially had some difficulties upgrading to the latest os as it wasn't doing anything for a while. Managed to do the upgrade now and everything seems to be working fine. Email and keyboard experience has been improved since last year. Even the edge browser isa bit better now and keyboard prediction almost perfect.

So far it has been good and I hope I can keep this phone as I really want to like this os and phone.

Sent from mTalk

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
So using the keyboard, you can "swipe" and it tracks properly? I can't get it to write "miserably" (it turns that into "literally") instead, but it can write "miserable" just fine!

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Stay the hell away! For me, the 950 is still a terrible device at any price more than free. The camera is slow, OS inconsistent and unreliable, battery life poor and then there's the app situation... Others have said W10M is better than when it launched and they're right (it should have NEVER been released in the condition is was), but it's still faaaaaaaaar from good enough, let alone legitimately able to compete with Android or iOS.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
The camera is slow,

Not for me.

OS inconsistent and unreliable,

Not for me.

battery life poor

Not for me.

and then there's the app situation...

If the poster has all the apps he needs then "the app situation" = what he needs, and therefore isn't a problem.

Others have said W10M is better than when it launched and they're right (it should have NEVER been released in the condition is was), but it's still faaaaaaaaar from good enough, let alone legitimately able to compete with Android or iOS.

It outdoes Android and iOS in certain regards (live tiles for one, Cortana for another), and definitely matches them in others, and obviously is behind in some...... so, not at all "faaaaaaaaar from good enough"....

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
950 and the OS is WAY more stable than last year. If you can get it at a good price get one. And use production build not insider if you want stability.

Sent from my Lumia 950 on mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Continuum is next on the list.., but since arguing with haters is completely useless, I'll stop here.
There is an "ignore" button that works wonders on haters. It's 2017 for God's sake, purge the garbage and enjoy yourself. Continuum is a wonderful feature especially if you enjoy using your phone on a large HD display.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
There is an "ignore" button that works wonders on haters. It's 2017 for God's sake, purge the garbage and enjoy yourself

Generally good advice I think. The only viewpoint I'd add is that if this was one of the other two mobile platforms that would be a no-brainer, but since this platform would benefit from growing it does actually make sense to dispel myths and expose inaccurate claims when they occur so that people aren't turned off for the wrong reason. I have no problem with people preferring how iOS looks for example, but it's a shame when people read inaccurate things on a forum and then not only avoid the platform but spread the misinformation.

Also, it's always a good thing when we can investigate the problems people find, hater or not, to make sure there really is a problem and possibly a solution.

But yeah, I sort of agree with you.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Generally good advice I think. The only viewpoint I'd add is that if this was one of the other two mobile platforms that would be a no-brainer, but since this platform would benefit from growing it does actually make sense to dispel myths and expose inaccurate claims when they occur so that people aren't turned off for the wrong reason. I have no problem with people preferring how iOS looks for example, but it's a shame when people read inaccurate things on a forum and then not only avoid the platform but spread the misinformation.

Also, it's always a good thing when we can investigate the problems people find, hater or not, to make sure there really is a problem and possibly a solution.

But yeah, I sort of agree with you.
There's no question your opinion is on point. Thing is, after a few years here as I've been, it gets to the point you feel like you're bailing out the Titanic with a Dixie cup. Windows Mobile has a lot to offer and sometimes much better than the competition. It also has a few shortcomings and that's what the haters grab onto. It seems the Android contingent forgot what life on FroYo and Gingerbread was like. Without that cluster.... there would be no Cyanogenmod. Apple has also matured enough to the point that jailbreaking is mostly unnecessary. Because the UI has been kept reasonably similar, people don't understand that the shift from 8.1 to 10 has been every bit as daunting as it was rom the CE-based WP7 to NT-based WP8.

This platform needs more users. No doubt. But keeping malcontents for the sake of market share is not the answer. I think Microsoft has realized this and told users to eff off if they don't like it. "This is how we're doing things going forward, we hope you enjoy the ride. There are some exciting things coming and we hope you're a part of it. But if you can't wait, don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you."

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
This platform needs more users.

Besides the many other issues if you make your devices hard to obtain no one will even give it a second look. Can't count how many times, since 2012, that I wanted a specific WP (model/colour/accessories) only to find out they weren't available in my country. If there was an avenue to obtain it was either $$$, a sketchy resource to purchase from, or both.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
So its been about 15 days since I bought my Lumia 950 and been ok so far
Tok the phone only vacation and took some great pictures of them are comparable to my dslr.

Still.has some issues - with my hotel wifi the WhatsApp seems to be quite slow may be it's because id slow wifi connection

Ive also been noticing that ive to press the power button multiple times now to get the screen to wake up from the glance screen. This never used to be the case before.
Dont miss any of my android apps too much. But still wish edge to be as good as chrome. It's still is slow for some websites I go to such as CBS Sports

Overall It's been good so i might keep this phone.

Sent from mTalk

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Do you know you have the double tap to wake feature now ? You also have double tap to sleep also.

It's slightly more convenient than having to wake the phone with the power button.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Since I've about a week before the return period, I tried going back to my android dtek60. While its a nice phone, I miss the windows UI and live tiles. So I switched right back to my 950. So I might sell my android and keep this phone for a while

Sent from mTalk

Vasil Dechkov

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
The OS is so much better now. It's a lot more stable. Most of the issues I've had before are gone now. I was a die hard 8.1 smoothness and animations ****** and now I feel at home again.

Sent from mTalk

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
When I bought my first 950 in November 2015, the OS was pretty horrible and crippled the performance of the phone.

Now I am using a new 950 and this device is performs great on win10 . There are still a couple of minor issues, but nothing like what it was last November.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I just performed a hard reset of my 950 a week or two ago, setting it all up again from scratch. And while the battery life and heat issues I've faced are noticeably better, it's still an unreliable piece of junk.

During the setup process it would not connect to WiFi no matter how many times I tried so I had to RESTART the device before even logging on (off to a great start!). It still drops its WiFi connection all the fricken time (tje phone usually has to be restarted to get this working again), I receive no alerts from Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp, the screen is usually unresponsive when trying to answer a phone call (I have to lock and unlock it to make it work) and it's randomly rebooted on me at least twice (a problem that's not battery related since I've checked and it's not loose in any way). After the reset I really can't believe it's still this terrible. I know you guys probably hate me for complaining all the time but no consumer should have to deal with all this. HOPEFULLY your experience has been/will be better than mine...

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I just performed a hard reset of my 950 a week or two ago, setting it all up again from scratch. And while the battery life and heat issues I've faced are noticeably better, it's still an unreliable piece of junk.

During the setup process it would not connect to WiFi no matter how many times I tried so I had to RESTART the device before even logging on (off to a great start!). It still drops its WiFi connection all the fricken time (tje phone usually has to be restarted to get this working again), I receive no alerts from Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp, the screen is usually unresponsive when trying to answer a phone call (I have to lock and unlock it to make it work) and it's randomly rebooted on me at least twice (a problem that's not battery related since I've checked and it's not loose in any way). After the reset I really can't believe it's still this terrible. I know you guys probably hate me for complaining all the time but no consumer should have to deal with all this. HOPEFULLY your experience has been/will be better than mine...
I had a lot of the problems you describe. I jumped in the insider slow ring and it is much much more stable than the production builds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786