01-20-2017 09:52 AM
51 123
tools

It outdoes Android and iOS in certain regards (live tiles for one, Cortana for another)
    Continuum is next on the list.., but since arguing with haters is completely useless, I'll stop here.
    fatclue_98 and Vasil Dechkov like this.
    01-01-2017 11:04 AM
    Continuum is next on the list.., but since arguing with haters is completely useless, I'll stop here.
    There is an "ignore" button that works wonders on haters. It's 2017 for God's sake, purge the garbage and enjoy yourself. Continuum is a wonderful feature especially if you enjoy using your phone on a large HD display.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    libra89, TgeekB and Guytronic like this.
    01-01-2017 11:18 AM
    There is an "ignore" button that works wonders on haters. It's 2017 for God's sake, purge the garbage and enjoy yourself
    Generally good advice I think. The only viewpoint I'd add is that if this was one of the other two mobile platforms that would be a no-brainer, but since this platform would benefit from growing it does actually make sense to dispel myths and expose inaccurate claims when they occur so that people aren't turned off for the wrong reason. I have no problem with people preferring how iOS looks for example, but it's a shame when people read inaccurate things on a forum and then not only avoid the platform but spread the misinformation.

Also, it's always a good thing when we can investigate the problems people find, hater or not, to make sure there really is a problem and possibly a solution.

But yeah, I sort of agree with you.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    01-01-2017 01:23 PM
    Generally good advice I think. The only viewpoint I'd add is that if this was one of the other two mobile platforms that would be a no-brainer, but since this platform would benefit from growing it does actually make sense to dispel myths and expose inaccurate claims when they occur so that people aren't turned off for the wrong reason. I have no problem with people preferring how iOS looks for example, but it's a shame when people read inaccurate things on a forum and then not only avoid the platform but spread the misinformation.

Also, it's always a good thing when we can investigate the problems people find, hater or not, to make sure there really is a problem and possibly a solution.

But yeah, I sort of agree with you.
    There's no question your opinion is on point. Thing is, after a few years here as I've been, it gets to the point you feel like you're bailing out the Titanic with a Dixie cup. Windows Mobile has a lot to offer and sometimes much better than the competition. It also has a few shortcomings and that's what the haters grab onto. It seems the Android contingent forgot what life on FroYo and Gingerbread was like. Without that cluster.... there would be no Cyanogenmod. Apple has also matured enough to the point that jailbreaking is mostly unnecessary. Because the UI has been kept reasonably similar, people don't understand that the shift from 8.1 to 10 has been every bit as daunting as it was rom the CE-based WP7 to NT-based WP8.

This platform needs more users. No doubt. But keeping malcontents for the sake of market share is not the answer. I think Microsoft has realized this and told users to eff off if they don't like it. "This is how we're doing things going forward, we hope you enjoy the ride. There are some exciting things coming and we hope you're a part of it. But if you can't wait, don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you."
    01-01-2017 04:12 PM
    Very well said !
    01-01-2017 07:03 PM
    This platform needs more users.
    Besides the many other issues if you make your devices hard to obtain no one will even give it a second look. Can't count how many times, since 2012, that I wanted a specific WP (model/colour/accessories) only to find out they weren't available in my country. If there was an avenue to obtain it was either $$$, a sketchy resource to purchase from, or both.
    01-01-2017 07:55 PM
    Did all the OS updates make it more usable? Any advise would be appreciated.
    nah, it is too small.

Sent from mTalk
    01-01-2017 08:34 PM
    So its been about 15 days since I bought my Lumia 950 and been ok so far
    Tok the phone only vacation and took some great pictures of them are comparable to my dslr.

Still.has some issues - with my hotel wifi the WhatsApp seems to be quite slow may be it's because id slow wifi connection

Ive also been noticing that ive to press the power button multiple times now to get the screen to wake up from the glance screen. This never used to be the case before.
    Dont miss any of my android apps too much. But still wish edge to be as good as chrome. It's still is slow for some websites I go to such as CBS Sports

Overall It's been good so i might keep this phone.

Sent from mTalk
    libra89 likes this.
    01-01-2017 11:37 PM
    Do you know you have the double tap to wake feature now ? You also have double tap to sleep also.

It's slightly more convenient than having to wake the phone with the power button.
    01-02-2017 12:42 AM
    No.
    01-03-2017 10:46 AM
    Since I've about a week before the return period, I tried going back to my android dtek60. While its a nice phone, I miss the windows UI and live tiles. So I switched right back to my 950. So I might sell my android and keep this phone for a while

Sent from mTalk
    libra89 and mattiasnyc like this.
    01-07-2017 12:48 PM
    The OS is so much better now. It's a lot more stable. Most of the issues I've had before are gone now. I was a die hard 8.1 smoothness and animations fanboy and now I feel at home again.

Sent from mTalk
    mattiasnyc likes this.
    01-07-2017 01:49 PM
    When I bought my first 950 in November 2015, the OS was pretty horrible and crippled the performance of the phone.

Now I am using a new 950 and this device is performs great on win10 . There are still a couple of minor issues, but nothing like what it was last November.
    mattiasnyc and libra89 like this.
    01-10-2017 12:33 AM
    I just performed a hard reset of my 950 a week or two ago, setting it all up again from scratch. And while the battery life and heat issues I've faced are noticeably better, it's still an unreliable piece of junk.

During the setup process it would not connect to WiFi no matter how many times I tried so I had to RESTART the device before even logging on (off to a great start!). It still drops its WiFi connection all the fricken time (tje phone usually has to be restarted to get this working again), I receive no alerts from Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp, the screen is usually unresponsive when trying to answer a phone call (I have to lock and unlock it to make it work) and it's randomly rebooted on me at least twice (a problem that's not battery related since I've checked and it's not loose in any way). After the reset I really can't believe it's still this terrible. I know you guys probably hate me for complaining all the time but no consumer should have to deal with all this. HOPEFULLY your experience has been/will be better than mine...
    Player Piano and libra89 like this.
    01-12-2017 09:51 PM
    I just performed a hard reset of my 950 a week or two ago, setting it all up again from scratch. And while the battery life and heat issues I've faced are noticeably better, it's still an unreliable piece of junk.

During the setup process it would not connect to WiFi no matter how many times I tried so I had to RESTART the device before even logging on (off to a great start!). It still drops its WiFi connection all the fricken time (tje phone usually has to be restarted to get this working again), I receive no alerts from Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp, the screen is usually unresponsive when trying to answer a phone call (I have to lock and unlock it to make it work) and it's randomly rebooted on me at least twice (a problem that's not battery related since I've checked and it's not loose in any way). After the reset I really can't believe it's still this terrible. I know you guys probably hate me for complaining all the time but no consumer should have to deal with all this. HOPEFULLY your experience has been/will be better than mine...
    I had a lot of the problems you describe. I jumped in the insider slow ring and it is much much more stable than the production builds.
    01-12-2017 10:28 PM
    My WiFi stays solid not only in my apartment but also when I go across the street to a restaurant to pick up some food. The screen is responsive when I answer phone calls, it doesn't randomly reboot, battery life is fine and I don't have heat issues.....

I think you should get your phone checked out. It's just baffling to me that some people have so many problems with their phones when others have none of them. It really does seem device-specific.
    01-13-2017 12:51 PM
    Sorry to say that if you are still on Windows Mobile, you are missing the boat big time. I was on WP for years, 8.1 and 10M, and finally all the bugs and lack of apps drove me to an S7 Galaxy a few weeks ago. It is has exceeded my wildest expectations, everything is fast, there are no bugs (yet), the apps are brilliant and fully featured. Never missed live tiles... Why would I? The swipe keyboard is actually capable of picking up the word "some", a revelation!

There is absolutely no good reason to stay on Windows mobile. And that is coming from a software developer who wasted years investing in the Windows ecosystem.

Not trying to be a troll, just relaying my experience having seen both sides. Microsoft have had so many chances, it's quite tragic how they've blown their opportunities.
    xandros9 likes this.
    01-15-2017 07:42 PM
    Nope I wouldn't buy it
    01-15-2017 07:50 PM
    Pixel or iPhone IMO. Windows Phone is a great operating system (when it isn't crashing or has issues), but the lack of a real flagship and lack of applications has always been and will be the biggest problems with Windows Phone.
    01-16-2017 05:15 PM
    Sorry to say that if you are still on Windows Mobile, you are missing the boat big time. I was on WP for years, 8.1 and 10M, and finally all the bugs and lack of apps drove me to an S7 Galaxy a few weeks ago. It is has exceeded my wildest expectations, everything is fast, there are no bugs (yet), the apps are brilliant and fully featured. Never missed live tiles... Why would I? The swipe keyboard is actually capable of picking up the word "some", a revelation!

There is absolutely no good reason to stay on Windows mobile. And that is coming from a software developer who wasted years investing in the Windows ecosystem.

Not trying to be a troll, just relaying my experience having seen both sides. Microsoft have had so many chances, it's quite tragic how they've blown their opportunities.
    I understand. But android OS is so boring. You might get bored after a few weeks and long for the live tiles and Windows UI. That's what happened to me and cam back to Lumia 950

Sent from mTalk
    TgeekB and editguy like this.
    01-16-2017 05:35 PM
    Same problem with me at the moment! I already had l950, but decided to sell it after too many problems and short battery life. First I switched to iPhone SE which was one of the snappiest phone I ever had, no joking! It was fast, battery was great, tones of apps-any kind you wish! But after some time I realised that I miss my lumia so much.... I was reading a lot of reviews and forums to see if the w10m got better since beginning. I found that there are still many bugs so still didn't want to take the risk.... Sold my iPhone and bought android phone (xiaomi redmi 3s). I didn't want to spend much money on another phone! So I write this post from redmi- battery is just amazing! AMAZING! Again phone is quite fast (maybe not a beast), can't complain on lack of any app in the store, there is absolutely everything you could imagine... BUT... Since I own this phone, maybe a month or two, I had to do a full factory reset due to some weird issues, apps crashes! And for me android OS is really boring, it doesn't make me happy using this phone- I know phones are not designed to make us happy but sometimes I really miss live tiles from Windows, I really miss it's eco system. So now I'm ready to switch back to l950 but still need to make sure that it is ready to meet my requirements....
    libra89 likes this.
    01-17-2017 09:30 AM
    And for me android OS is really boring, it doesn't make me happy using this phone- I know phones are not designed to make us happy but sometimes I really miss live tiles from Windows, I really miss it's eco system. So now I'm ready to switch back to l950 but still need to make sure that it is ready to meet my requirements....
    Nah, you're not wrong about this. In my opinion, smartphones are very personal, and it makes sense to feel this way. A lot of things we use in our daily lives are because we had little choice at the time. I go through a lot of phones trying to find the "perfect" phone that has everything I want and need of course.
    01-17-2017 10:21 AM
    The problem I hate is that as the updates are released, my system memory gradually increases, to the point that it takes up 25% of my internal storage! Only way to drop it back to the initial 2.59 gigs is a hard reset.... and my other storage is at a solid 4 gigs.

Other than that, it's a fluid OS. It's aesthetic component is beautiful, and being able to connect it to my PC is great as I can sync a lot (though Microsoft has opened that up to Android and IOS, so that feature isn't all that exclusive to us anymore). And then there's the apps, which I hate mentioning, but the problem is obviously limiting in terms of the OS's capabilities. But it's definitely improved, possibly even more than what I can tell you because my storage problem hasn't let me update in the past month....
    01-17-2017 07:48 PM
    I got tempted tonight to buy a one plus three and thought am I crazy ? No device no matter how powerful is really going to win my heart to android.

Though I have to admit I am waiting to see what Nokia Will offer. Definition of insanity I guess....expecting different results.

I love the windows platform. It suits me and what I do. Any of the OS's can do that but Windows has a charm to it. I started on this OS through Nokia and always come back to it. It's like home.
    mark233 and libra89 like this.
    01-17-2017 09:43 PM
    Originally posted by patcherd
    I got tempted tonight to buy a one plus three and thought am I crazy ? No device no matter how powerful is really going to win my heart to android.

Though I have to admit I am waiting to see what Nokia Will offer. Definition of insanity I guess....expecting different results.

I love the windows platform. It suits me and what I do. Any of the OS's can do that but Windows has a charm to it. I started on this OS through Nokia and always come back to it. It's like home.

I felt the same way last night about the Huawei P9. Two days ago, I just bought the Lumia950 (opened but never used) and Display Dock (unopened) for USD$300 on ebay. I am still in two minds about it, but....Android vs Win10M? I can't bring myself to leave Windows phone. But I think the Huawei P9 is a beautiful looking phone, feels great in the hand. If it had Windows, I'd buy it. So for now, settling on the Lumia 950.
    01-19-2017 05:47 PM
51 123