What would happen?

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I been giving some thought about windows 10 on ARM x86. Now I know the 808 won't handle it. What I wonder though what would happen to WM10? Any insights on the subject?

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Worst case, they debut a Surface Phone in 2017 that is incompatible, and basically sunset W10M with no upgrade path (you know, like WP7?).

Best case, they debut a Surface Phone in 2017 or 2018 and try their best to keep UWP going, getting apps for the Surface that can still be run on W10M.

Probable case, they try to do both half-*** and fail at both.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While all we can really do is predict and guess, I would think mweflen has got it down mostly.

I would expect quite some time to past before Windows 10 on ARM becomes even possible on mobile. And if it does, I would probably expect some new "Surface Phone" or whatever to make headlines while current W10M devices are either quickly forgotten or slowly forgotten with tapered off support and no path forward.
Or as a third potential option, W10M persists on midrange and lower-end devices for a long time. MS has a lot of work ahead of it regardless.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Why would you want to run full PC Windows on small sized phone? Mobile Windows UI is already good on my Lumia 950.
Yes, but now they can port the UI of W10M to the full W10. So you would have the exact same UI on your phone while on the road but the full W10 when you are in Continuum

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I watch the keynote and I keep thinking if the 810 is the bare minime based on what that guy said though*based on that video I see it has a 820 showing it off.. Though im assuming none of the phones as in the Lumia 950/XL let alone the HP x3 could handle it due to the fact of not mainly the ram of both devices though the*storage cause doesn't windows 10 require like 30gb of storage if im not mistaken?

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I watch the keynote and I keep thinking if the 810 is the bare minime based on what that guy said though*based on that video I see it has a 820 showing it off.. Though im assuming none of the phones as in the Lumia 950/XL let alone the HP x3 could handle it due to the fact of not mainly the ram of both devices though the*storage cause doesn't windows 10 require like 30gb of storage if im not mistaken?

No phone which is now available will get the full W10. You would have to flash the OS to your phone because an OTA update would not be possible. MS would not to that.

ad Storage: That's why the Surface Phone/Mobile/whatever will probably come with at least 128 GB storage

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

No phone which is now available will get the full W10. You would have to flash the OS to your phone because an OTA update would not be possible. MS would not to that.

ad Storage: That's why the Surface Phone/Mobile/whatever will probably come with at least 128 GB storage

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Why would you want to run full PC Windows on small sized phone? Mobile Windows UI is already good on my Lumia 950.

I think there could be cases where it would be beneficial, although it certainly depends. In my case, as a media content producer, I can actually think of a few cases where loading up the full software I use to change some media I've created would be easier than carrying a laptop with me, because the laptop is bigger (duh). It would possibly take longer and drain my phone of battery, but it might still be worth it for the few cases it might happen (and there have been such cases). However;

Yes, but now they can port the UI of W10M to the full W10. So you would have the exact same UI on your phone while on the road but the full W10 when you are in Continuum

It would seem to me that the drawback would be that you're running a "heavy" OS on a "light" device, so if this lighter device is designed to be energy efficient, what happens when you've got this 'massive' OS running all the time? In other words, generally speaking, I would think that we have mobile OS' for a good reason, and that reason won't go away. With a faster better performing CPU in our phone - IF the energy usage is lower - we get to choose:

- heavier software / hardware usage
- longer battery life (etc)

For a mobile device I'm not sure the answer is that clear (although clearly users generally want both all the time even though they can't get it).

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Or as a third potential option, W10M persists on midrange and lower-end devices for a long time. MS has a lot of work ahead of it regardless.
I have read a report that this is their plan, W10M will remain for lower end devices. I think we have at least another 2 years of W10M or longer? Depends on other Companies like Alcatel continuing to use the OS.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Tbh, as some of the comments above mentioned, I don't think the tablet mode UI of Windows 10 would suit the small sized screens of smartphones. I've tried the tablet mode on various W10 touch-capable devices (albeit I don't own one. Tried it from the shops and using friend's tablets), and I must say that the W10 Tablet UI would only make sense for a large screen since it looks aesthetically pleasing with all the correct spacing between the apps and other UI elements. Simply put, it looks nice, clean, and easily readable on a large screen.

From this POV, if we were to assume that Microsoft would ditch W10M and load a full-fledged W10 OS on a < 6" mobile devices, thus I'd imagine they'll only scale down the W10 Tablet UI to fit the smaller device, and this will result in either:

1) UI looks nice and clean, but not easily readable (very small text, etc.)
2) UI looks clean and easily readable, but not nice (maybe only show limited number of apps on the screen at any given time. Infinite scrolling, anyone?)
3) UI looks nice and easily readable, but not clean (cramped af)

The above is just my opinion as I assume MS will only load the smaller devices with a full-fledged W10 OS. What I hope MS would do, with regards to W10M is simply this: Innovate and integrate W10M's interface to fit the W10 UI. What I'm saying is basically to allow the mobile devices, presumably smartphones with a W10 OS, to still be running the full-fledged W10, but the UI shows as if the phone's running W10M when in phone mode, and only show the actual W10 desktop UI that we all know and love when in Continuum mode.

Think of the W10M interface as a re-skin of the W10 desktop OS, just as how people use Rain Meter to customize their desktop UI even though it is running a proper W10 OS! Win-win IMO.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Worst case, they debut a Surface Phone in 2017 that is incompatible, and basically sunset W10M with no upgrade path (you know, like WP7?).

Best case, they debut a Surface Phone in 2017 or 2018 and try their best to keep UWP going, getting apps for the Surface that can still be run on W10M.

Probable case, they try to do both half-*** and fail at both.

As they have given up on mobile, so option 1 seems likely, W10M goes down the road same as Win7 , Surface RT etc

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Everything is moving to 3 in 1 or 2 in 1 as far as portable devices are concerned. I'm not certain what will happen to W10M OS, but I can see it getting absorbed some how.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I think we're all losing sight of the fact that x86 apps were going to run thru an emulator ...
At least that's what I read, initially.
Thus, launch the emulator (an app) to run an x86 (or x64) app on your mobile device (hopefully plugged in / larger battery),then shutdown the app / emulator ... still running WM10.

This being said, I don't have the latest info.

... and don't count the HP EliteX3 out of this, the secret word is ... Pogo Pins.

Possibly adding RAM or ...

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Well, there's a patent swirling around for running 2 OS at the same time (owned by Samsung). Maybe you could run W10M while you are on the road and W10 while you are in Continuum. Or you could just use Dual Boot

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Well, there's a patent swirling around for running 2 OS at the same time (owned by Samsung). Maybe you could run W10M while you are on the road and W10 while you are in Continuum. Or you could just use Dual Boot
That would all be sooooo cooolllll :winktongue:

EDIT>>>>> MAN!!!!!! I would LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Not related with the UI but more with the chances of the WM10, maybe the next devices will be separated in two, one line of devices running WM10 and the other running a full pc version with different UI to fit the size of a mobile device.

So it should might be the Surface line (the High end or Desktop like) and the Lumia (the mobile and mid range line).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel